M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
What do you guys think of the Marantz SR-6011 or SR-7011?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Marantz makes a fine receiver, but you'd probably be better off with the Denon 3300 on sale at Amazon.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What do you guys think of the Marantz SR-6011 or SR-7011?
As suggested before, the Denon AVR-X3300W is comparable to the Marantz SR-6011 and the same can be said for the AVR-X4300H and the SR7011. So on the objective and logical point of view, the AVR-X4300H is the way to go.

However, from your previous posts, I have the feeling that you might have been influenced by magazine and user reviews and seem to believe that Marantz has a "better" sound than Denon. So unless you go for the Marantz, you may end up doubting your decision later. Assuming I am right on this, I would suggest you bite the bullet, pay more and get the SR-7011.

I can't, and won't (being stubbornly on the objective side) recommend the SR-6011 over the X4300H because the gap is just a little big to swallow.

Funny I myself was very closed to getting a X4300H for one of my stereo systems just so I can use Audyssey to integrate the LS30 better with the sub. That system is currently powered by my old Denon AVR-3805, that I have AB compared it multiple times with my separates pair (Cambridge audio pre and Parasound Halo A21) as well as a pair of vintage Marantz separate pre and power amp. No audible difference between them at all, different specs, but not audible. No surprises either because they all have good enough specs to qualify them scientifically as "transparent", to my ears anyway.

Again, for you, I highly recommend you pay more and get the SR-7011 but try to get a good discount on one because the SR-7012 is already out. I have used, and still own a few Marantz products, and I like them oll, but then again, I like all my Denon units too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I concur on buying the $600 Denon 3300 over the $1,000 Marantz 6011. Absolutely no reason to spend the extra $400!!!

Same thing with the $800 Denon 4300 vs $1,400 Marantz 7011. Absolutely no reason to spend the extra $600!! :eek:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I concur on buying the $600 Denon 3300 over the $1,000 Marantz 6011. Absolutely no reason to spend the extra $400!!!

Same thing with the $800 Denon 4300 vs $1,400 Marantz 7011. Absolutely no reason to spend the extra $600!! :eek:
This, come from yet another audioholic who owns both mid range and flagship Denon avr as well as high end separates. I guess people just have to go through it themselves, and learn it the hard way.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This, come from yet another audioholic who owns both mid range and flagship Denon avr as well as high end separates. I guess people just have to go through it themselves, and learn it the hard way.:D
Probably. If it were only a $100 difference, I say go for it. But not $600!

Shoot, for $1400, he could buy both a Denon 3300 and 4300!!! :D

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
Decision made and now waiting for the package to arrive.

I went with the Denon AVR-X4300H. Thank you all for the advice.

I changed loyalties last minute. This will replace my Yamaha RX-V1700, which has been a great AVR over the years. I needed 4K capabilities and new decoders to keep up with the new technology. This should be a good addition to the Sony 65 inch 900 Series HDR/4K TV.

In search of a new sub to replace my 15 year old 12-in klipsch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I changed loyalties last minute. This will replace my Yamaha RX-V1700, which has been a great AVR over the years. I needed 4K capabilities and new decoders to keep up with the new technology. This should be a good addition to the Sony 65 inch 900 Series HDR/4K TV.

So ultimately you chose an AVR with more power + Audyssey XT32 that is 47% off MSRP, which seems like a very reasonable decision.

I love my Sony XBR-65X900 4K TV also.

Time to start a new thread for your new sub. :D

I vote for a non-powered sub so that you can use an external amp and never have to worry about the internal sub amp malfunctioning. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So ultimately you chose an AVR with more power + Audyssey XT32 that is 47% off MSRP, which seems like a very reasonable decision.

I love my Sony XBR-65X900 4K TV also.

Time to start a new thread for your new sub. :D

I vote for a non-powered sub so that you can use an external amp and never have to worry about the internal sub amp malfunctioning. ;)
I think we should document this as one of those exceptional case, when once people heard about a certain "better/warmer etc." sound (Marantz in this case) from hearsay, that's what they were set to do regardless of contradictory forum feed backs, specs and bench test data.:D It is a good feeling though, that we know we have probably succeeded in helping someone save money getting the same values.

On another note, maybe you should start a thread on the 65X900e, now afaik you, op and Cos have one or something similar. We can compare notes, hopefully no issues, just settings, helpful hints etc. My replaced a Elite, once the supreme Plasma standard bearer, so far I am quite happy with it overall, especially when the price is factored in.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Congrats! A very sensible choice. For subs, if you provide some room dimensions, you will get plenty of good suggestions quickly, assuming that's what may be asking. Another thing, please be sure to read the online Audyssey instructions and follow them to the letter. After that you can make some minor adjustments to suit your taste.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think we should document this as one of those exceptional case, when once people heard about a certain "better/warmer etc." sound (Marantz in this case) from hearsay, that's what they were set to do regardless of contradictory forum feed backs, specs and bench test data.:D It is a good feeling though, that we know we have probably succeeded in helping someone save money getting the same values.

Once people realize that Marantz and Denon are basically the same company and most of their components are even assembled in the same plant, I think it makes it a lot easier to switch from Marantz to Denon and vice versa.

It's a little harder to switch from Yamaha to Denon/Marantz mainly because people like to stay with the same company since change can be stressful.

But it is much more difficult switching from certain brands (Anthem, NAD, ROTEL, ARCAM, etc.) to these Japanese brands even when the Japanese brands (Yamaha, Denon, Marantz) have much better measurements (Power output, 1-ohm stability, Crosstalk, SNR, etc).

On another note, maybe you should start a thread on the 65X900e, now afaik you, op and Cos have one or something similar. We can compare notes, hopefully no issues, just settings, helpful hints etc..So far I am quite happy with it overall, especially when the price is factored in.
Oh, I am extremely happy with my SONY XBR-65X900 TV. Most of the time I'm not even inputing 4K material to the SONY TV. But the picture still looks awesome anyway. So absolutely no complaints from me.

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
I love my SONY XBR-65X900. The black level is much better than my old Samsung. The 4K content from Netflix looks very detailed and I can definitely tell the difference from watching a 1080i movie on direct TV and even much better than a blue ray on 1080P. I have yet to see an actual 4K movie from a blue ray player because I also need a new 4k disc player. Hint, hint!!!

Once people realize that Marantz and Denon are basically the same company and most of their components are even assembled in the same plant, I think it makes it a lot easier to switch from Marantz to Denon and vice versa.

It's a little harder to switch from Yamaha to Denon/Marantz mainly because people like to stay with the same company since change can be stressful.

But it is much more difficult switching from certain brands (Anthem, NAD, ROTEL, ARCAM, etc.) to these Japanese brands even when the Japanese brands (Yamaha, Denon, Marantz) have much better measurements (Power output, 1-ohm stability, Crosstalk, SNR, etc).

Oh, I am extremely happy with my SONY XBR-65X900 TV. Most of the time I'm not even inputing 4K material to the SONY TV. But the picture still looks awesome anyway. So absolutely no complaints from me.

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
Congrats! A very sensible choice. For subs, if you provide some room dimensions, you will get plenty of good suggestions quickly, assuming that's what may be asking. Another thing, please be sure to read the online Audyssey instructions and follow them to the letter. After that you can make some minor adjustments to suit your taste.
Where can I find the Audyssey instructions?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

My condolences :p

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
I love my SONY XBR-65X900. The black level is much better than my old Samsung. The 4K content from Netflix looks very detailed and I can definitely tell the difference from watching a 1080i movie on direct TV and even much better than a blue ray on 1080P. I have yet to see an actual 4K movie from a blue ray player because I also need a new 4k disc player. Hint, hint!!!
Is this the OLED model?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis