Denon X6700H "hum" issue

V

Volt

Enthusiast
Hi,

This ended up being a longer post. But I think I've covered all the details. Here goes.

I got the 6700 in October 2020. It's currently powering a 5.1.2 setup I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V685. And wanted to future proof things. Overall it's worked fine. But, a couple weeks ago, I started noticing a random low volume "hum". Random as in it doesn't always occur. This is how it occurs.

I turn everything on to watch a show. That includes; Denon X6700H, Apple 4K TV box, and LG CX. There is a also a PS5 and AT&T TV box that sometimes also gets powered on. The Denon will make that "click" sound to indicate the speakers are getting powered. This is when I might hear that low "hum" sound coming from the center speaker. It does not always occur. It can be hard to hear if other things are running in the background, like the wall AC, my computer, and my cats. It will seem to go away on it's own within a hour or so.

The previous week it happened a few times when we sat down to watch something. I tired turning everything off and then on again, and it went away! But when it happened again, this didn't work. Another time it happened, I tried disconnecting the Center speaker. The hum went away. And so did the rest of the sound from the speaker. When I reconnected it, the hum was gone! But when it happened again the next day and I tired disconnecting, then reconnecting the center speaker, it didn't work to fix it.

Early on Friday it happened and I tried connecting the Right Front speaker to the central channel. Now the Front Right speaker was making that "hum". This makes me think it's something with the channel output on the back of the unit.

It happened last night when we sat down to watch Wanda Vision. We were either watching it on Disney+ on the Apple 4K TV or the LG CX app. The "hum" is not affected by the volume setting on the Denon. It can be heard if the volume is muted. So it can be more noticeable during the quite moments. Not so much when there is a lot action. I was annoyed. But my wife didn't notice it. When the episode was over the "hum" was gone. Watching other things sounded normal.

Today on Sunday it happened again when I turned everything on. This time I tried to test a few things. This time I went around to every speaker to listen to hear if they were emitting the "hum" or not.

FL -no
FR - no
Center - yes
Surround Left - yes
Surround Right -no
Front Presence Left - yes
Front Presence Right - no
Sub - I forgot to listen to that. Opps

Putting Receiver on Mute I still got the "hum". Volume doesn't affect the "hum". Going to the Denon Settings screen, I noticed that the "hum" can vary in volume slightly. When I'm on a screen that has selectable options and I highlight one of them, then it's slightly louder. If I select a greyed out selection it's now slightly quitter. This was at one of the HDMI settings screen. I connected my headphones to the Denon to check to see if it was coming through my headphones. It did not. It sounded normal, with the show I was listening to. When I unplugged the headphones to listen to the speakers the "hum" was gone! Hmmmm. I shut everything down, then turned it back on, and the "hum" was back. I took the headphones adapter, without the headphones and plugged it in. That turned off the speakers. When I disconnected the adapter, the "hum" was back in the speakers. I then connected the headphones to that adapter and plugged it in the Denon and listened to something for a little bit. Maybe 30 seconds. I then unplugged the headphones and listened to the speakers and the hum was gone!

And to add, I got in contact with Serg at Scan Audio Services in Van Nuys on Friday. I had emailed his place with a detailed email explaining most of the above. He said he thinks there is something going bad on the Denon's motherboard, and that the MB will need to be replaced. He no longer does warranty repair for Denon. But he suggested to ship it to Radio United in New York to get warranty repair. I asked what about taking it to George Meyer in LA, for they do warranty repairs for Denon. He cautioned that there may be a long wait on parts from their shop. And that it would be better to let a bigger repair place, like Radio United handle it. I had also talked to someone from Crutchfield tech support earlier trying to figure out what was wrong and they highly recommended Radio United for repairs. They also warned about NOT using some repair place in New Jersey for they were terrible about repairing equipment. But he couldn't remember the name. Could that have been Panugry?

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there something I can try with my setup that might be causing this? Like could this still be a grounding isse? Or is the motherboard on my Denon going bad and will eventually need to get repaired at one of Denon's Warranty repair places?

If I do take it to a Warranty repair place should I take it locally? George Meyer is 11 miles from me. So no FED EX shipping charge. But if they have to order parts, how long is the way?

Or do I ship it to Radio United in New York? For the turn around time may be faster, since it's a bigger repair facility.

If my unit is a lemon, would either place be able to communicate with Denon to have Denon send me something to replace the 6700? I assume a refurbished unit? Or would it be brand new? And if it sold out in most places, I wonder how much longer that will take?

For now I'm going to see if the headphones plugging in and out will work. EDIT : Unfortunately this does not always work. I just tested it again after posting. Darn. But if it's a part going defective, then I imagine the issue will get worse. Fortunately I still have my Yamaha RX-685, so I could use that when I send the Denon in for repairs.

Thanks

Attached image is of the greyed out option in the Denon set up screen, that makes less of a hum. Which selecting the choices that are changeable make a louder hum sound. It's still not that loud. But still noticable.

Attachments

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Have you tried a known good cable to eliminate it being a cable issue? Do you have an old receiver you try it with?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

This ended up being a longer post. But I think I've covered all the details. Here goes.

I got the 6700 in October 2020. It's currently powering a 5.1.2 setup I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V685. And wanted to future proof things. Overall it's worked fine. But, a couple weeks ago, I started noticing a random low volume "hum". Random as in it doesn't always occur. This is how it occurs.

I turn everything on to watch a show. That includes; Denon X6700H, Apple 4K TV box, and LG CX. There is a also a PS5 and AT&T TV box that sometimes also gets powered on. The Denon will make that "click" sound to indicate the speakers are getting powered. This is when I might hear that low "hum" sound coming from the center speaker. It does not always occur. It can be hard to hear if other things are running in the background, like the wall AC, my computer, and my cats. It will seem to go away on it's own within a hour or so.

The previous week it happened a few times when we sat down to watch something. I tired turning everything off and then on again, and it went away! But when it happened again, this didn't work. Another time it happened, I tried disconnecting the Center speaker. The hum went away. And so did the rest of the sound from the speaker. When I reconnected it, the hum was gone! But when it happened again the next day and I tired disconnecting, then reconnecting the center speaker, it didn't work to fix it.

Early on Friday it happened and I tried connecting the Right Front speaker to the central channel. Now the Front Right speaker was making that "hum". This makes me think it's something with the channel output on the back of the unit.

It happened last night when we sat down to watch Wanda Vision. We were either watching it on Disney+ on the Apple 4K TV or the LG CX app. The "hum" is not affected by the volume setting on the Denon. It can be heard if the volume is muted. So it can be more noticeable during the quite moments. Not so much when there is a lot action. I was annoyed. But my wife didn't notice it. When the episode was over the "hum" was gone. Watching other things sounded normal.

Today on Sunday it happened again when I turned everything on. This time I tried to test a few things. This time I went around to every speaker to listen to hear if they were emitting the "hum" or not.

FL -no
FR - no
Center - yes
Surround Left - yes
Surround Right -no
Front Presence Left - yes
Front Presence Right - no
Sub - I forgot to listen to that. Opps

Putting Receiver on Mute I still got the "hum". Volume doesn't affect the "hum". Going to the Denon Settings screen, I noticed that the "hum" can vary in volume slightly. When I'm on a screen that has selectable options and I highlight one of them, then it's slightly louder. If I select a greyed out selection it's now slightly quitter. This was at one of the HDMI settings screen. I connected my headphones to the Denon to check to see if it was coming through my headphones. It did not. It sounded normal, with the show I was listening to. When I unplugged the headphones to listen to the speakers the "hum" was gone! Hmmmm. I shut everything down, then turned it back on, and the "hum" was back. I took the headphones adapter, without the headphones and plugged it in. That turned off the speakers. When I disconnected the adapter, the "hum" was back in the speakers. I then connected the headphones to that adapter and plugged it in the Denon and listened to something for a little bit. Maybe 30 seconds. I then unplugged the headphones and listened to the speakers and the hum was gone!

And to add, I got in contact with Serg at Scan Audio Services in Van Nuys on Friday. I had emailed his place with a detailed email explaining most of the above. He said he thinks there is something going bad on the Denon's motherboard, and that the MB will need to be replaced. He no longer does warranty repair for Denon. But he suggested to ship it to Radio United in New York to get warranty repair. I asked what about taking it to George Meyer in LA, for they do warranty repairs for Denon. He cautioned that there may be a long wait on parts from their shop. And that it would be better to let a bigger repair place, like Radio United handle it. I had also talked to someone from Crutchfield tech support earlier trying to figure out what was wrong and they highly recommended Radio United for repairs. They also warned about NOT using some repair place in New Jersey for they were terrible about repairing equipment. But he couldn't remember the name. Could that have been Panugry?

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there something I can try with my setup that might be causing this? Like could this still be a grounding isse? Or is the motherboard on my Denon going bad and will eventually need to get repaired at one of Denon's Warranty repair places?

If I do take it to a Warranty repair place should I take it locally? George Meyer is 11 miles from me. So no FED EX shipping charge. But if they have to order parts, how long is the way?

Or do I ship it to Radio United in New York? For the turn around time may be faster, since it's a bigger repair facility.

If my unit is a lemon, would either place be able to communicate with Denon to have Denon send me something to replace the 6700? I assume a refurbished unit? Or would it be brand new? And if it sold out in most places, I wonder how much longer that will take?

For now I'm going to see if the headphones plugging in and out will work. EDIT : Unfortunately this does not always work. I just tested it again after posting. Darn. But if it's a part going defective, then I imagine the issue will get worse. Fortunately I still have my Yamaha RX-685, so I could use that when I send the Denon in for repairs.

Thanks

Attached image is of the greyed out option in the Denon set up screen, that makes less of a hum. Which selecting the choices that are changeable make a louder hum sound. It's still not that loud. But still noticable.
As MDK suggested, but I would add that may be you can prepare a pair of shortest possible speaker wires and terminate it with good quality banana plugs for quick connection.

Next time the center channel hum, replace the cable with this known short and good speaker wires and make sure you keep it separate from any other wires, with at least a few inches apart from any other wires.

At the same time, contact Denon support and try to convince them to replace it, if they can't suggest a fix that works.

Last edited:
V

Volt

Enthusiast
As MDK suggested, but I would add that may be you can prepare a pair of shortest possible speaker wires and terminate it with good quality banana plugs for quick connection.

Next time the center channel hum, replace the cable with this known short and good speaker wires and make sure you keep it separated from any other wires, with at lease a few inches apart from any other wires.

At the same time, contact Denon support and try to convince them to replace it, if they can't suggest a fix that works.
I tried out part of this, and have had some success! My current setup uses banana plugs for all the speakers connections on back of the Denon. This was my first time connecting banana plugs to speaker wire when I first set up the Denon back in October. Prior to that I'd twist speaker wire and try to thread it into the connection. What a pain in the neck that was. Never again! Anyway, tonight I had the hum so I carefully checked things over. I did notice that the Front Left speaker also had the hum, in addition to the other speakers I mentioned above. I disconnected all the speakers on back of the Denon.

I experimented with swapping the speakers to few different connections. At this point one of the banana plugs fell out. Whoops! Hmmm ... that was not screwed in snug for some reason. I examined the speaker cable and banana plugs. I took took off the banana plug and redid attaching it. When I reconnected it, I checked that the other parts were snuggly screwed in too. Hum in that speaker was no gone. But the Central Speaker was still having the hum. So I took out the speaker cable and rechecked the banana plugs connection, and redid one of them. To get more copper wire exposed and connecting near the screw part. I reattached the center speaker and the hum was gone. I reconnected the other speakers. I didn't redo and of the threaded bits. But I checked to make sure the screw on part in back of the Denon was snug. Some were and some were not. Now they all were. The surround Left speaker that had a hum earlier no longer had it.

The back area of my entertainment area is a mess of many cables. To get access, I have to pull the table part way out. Each time that happens it does pull all the cables around. So it could be over the last few months that moving things around caused things to loosen and cause this issue.

So far so good for tonight. I had to turn off some devices then back on to check another issue with my Apple 4K TV. But the hum did not return. I will see how it goes tomorrow when I turn everything back on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully the issues has been resolved, with redoing and retightening the banana plug connections. I'll be very pleased if it was. And relieved to not have to send my Denon in for any service work. I'll keep you posted. Thank you both, for your suggestions and help.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried out part of this, and have had some success! My current setup uses banana plugs for all the speakers connections on back of the Denon. This was my first time connecting banana plugs to speaker wire when I first set up the Denon back in October. Prior to that I'd twist speaker wire and try to thread it into the connection. What a pain in the neck that was. Never again! Anyway, tonight I had the hum so I carefully checked things over. I did notice that the Front Left speaker also had the hum, in addition to the other speakers I mentioned above. I disconnected all the speakers on back of the Denon.

I experimented with swapping the speakers to few different connections. At this point one of the banana plugs fell out. Whoops! Hmmm ... that was not screwed in snug for some reason. I examined the speaker cable and banana plugs. I took took off the banana plug and redid attaching it. When I reconnected it, I checked that the other parts were snuggly screwed in too. Hum in that speaker was no gone. But the Central Speaker was still having the hum. So I took out the speaker cable and rechecked the banana plugs connection, and redid one of them. To get more copper wire exposed and connecting near the screw part. I reattached the center speaker and the hum was gone. I reconnected the other speakers. I didn't redo and of the threaded bits. But I checked to make sure the screw on part in back of the Denon was snug. Some were and some were not. Now they all were. The surround Left speaker that had a hum earlier no longer had it.

The back area of my entertainment area is a mess of many cables. To get access, I have to pull the table part way out. Each time that happens it does pull all the cables around. So it could be over the last few months that moving things around caused things to loosen and cause this issue.

So far so good for tonight. I had to turn off some devices then back on to check another issue with my Apple 4K TV. But the hum did not return. I will see how it goes tomorrow when I turn everything back on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully the issues has been resolved, with redoing and retightening the banana plug connections. I'll be very pleased if it was. And relieved to not have to send my Denon in for any service work. I'll keep you posted. Thank you both, for your suggestions and help.
I have too many wires behind the rack too and have experienced weird issues in the past due to intermittent/loose connections here and there. When you get multiple media players, streaming devices, a few amps plus 11 channels speakers, a bunch of subwoofers and external Infinity fans, it is hard to avoid a little bit of hum and hiss, but it can be minimized to the point it could not be heard from just a couple feet away by keeping the runs tidy and all connections tight.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Glad checking your connections paid off, that's always a good first step when having issues. Sounds like a goal from here might be such that you can easily move your table/rack your gear is on without putting stress on wires, sometimes it just takes some time organizing wires behind but also allowing sufficient length so that you have the slack to allow that amount of movement for cleaning/changing gear in-out, etc.. OTOH I've not had hum issues generally, even with a birds nest of wires back there (altho its now relatively well organized). Cable ties can help out a lot....

V

Volt

Enthusiast
Thursday Update

Well, the hum came back the following day. Darn! This morning I took the Denon into George Meyer AV in Los Angeles for warranty repair. They are a local shop that does authorized warranty repair for Denon. They had a bench out back for drop-offs. The public is not allowed inside due to the pandemic. They told me it was about a 3-week wait before the technician could check my Denon out. Of course I'd prefer they look at it right away. But under the circumstance that is okay. This will also be a good test run to see how well they are for a repair shop.

Thankfully I still have my Yamaha AVR. I swapped that in and that sounded normal. No hum! I suppose if it's really an issue with the Denon, then I won't hear the hum in the Yamaha. I was previously using that for a few years with no issue. It's been unplugged since October. But it still has my YPAO calibration settings for my speaker setup.

@PENG I was really hoping I wouldn't notice the hiss. But darn it, I would notice it during the quiet bits. And it bothered me. And yeah, I'll try to tidy things up back there.

@lovinthehd thanks for the suggestions. I'll try re-orgnaizing things back in the birds nest to allow for more slack.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG I was really hoping I wouldn't notice the hiss. But darn it, I would notice it during the quiet bits. And it bothered me. And yeah, I'll try to tidy things up back there.
Which Yamaha, and at what volume setting when the hiss became audible? I can always hear hiss, so it is just a matter of whether the hiss is loud enough to bother you. I don't believe it when people say their amp's dead silent. Just like we have seen post about their amp's transformer don't hum, yet the fact is, they all do. If your ear is close enough to it, you will hear it unless the ambient noise is loud enough to hide it. Likewise, if you are close enough to the speaker, you are going to hear hiss, unless you have everything in the audio signal chain as quiet as the Benchmark AHB2 power amp.:D

More sensitive speakers will hiss at lower volume setting too, obviously.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Thanks

First, get rid of the banana plugs if you don't make new connections for long periods of time- the chance of a + and - touching are greater with those plugs when the rear of the cabinet is crowded and you move cabling.

Second- do a hard reset after making sure the problem occurs with all sources, especially if it happens with the tuner- if it happens with the tuner, that fact pretty well rules out an external cause.

Are you saying that the hum occurs when you use the setup menu? Separate the HDMI cables from all others- some cables have problems emitting interference to others, especially if they're laying or bundled together.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First, get rid of the banana plugs if you don't make new connections for long periods of time- the chance of a + and - touching are greater with those plugs when the rear of the cabinet is crowded and you move cabling.
Are you saying all banana plugs can short each other by touching? What plugs are going to do that?

V

Volt

Enthusiast
Which Yamaha, and at what volume setting when the hiss became audible? I can always hear hiss, so it is just a matter of whether the hiss is loud enough to bother you. I don't believe it when people say their amp's dead silent. Just like we have seen post about their amp's transformer don't hum, yet the fact is, they all do. If your ear is close enough to it, you will hear it unless the ambient noise is loud enough to hide it. Likewise, if you are close enough to the speaker, you are going to hear hiss, unless you have everything in the audio signal chain as quiet as the Benchmark AHB2 power amp.:D

More sensitive speakers will hiss at lower volume setting too, obviously.
I'm now using my older Yamaha RX-V685. Going into day 2 and no hum using it.

The hum/buzz/hiss would be heard on the Denon with the volume turned all the way off. Even when it was muted. Turning up the volume does not affect the hum/buzz/hiss's volume level. Though it would affect my show's volume. But the amp had to be engaged. You know, when you turn your AVR on and it makes that "click". Connecting my headphones would make the unit "click" and then I could hear audio on my headphones. The headphone would not have the hum/buzz/hiss. Then when I disconnect the headphones, the AVR clicks and the speakers are now working again. And the hum would then almost always be heard again. Though one time when fiddling with it, the hum did not come back.

My place does have quite a bit of ambient noises. Computer fans, cat water motor, AC, etc. I started noticing it a couple weeks ago. So I'm not 100% sure if it's always done that or not. The odd thing about this hum/buzz/hiss was it was only coming out of a few of the speakers; Center, Front Left, Surround Left, and Front Presence Left. I And weirdest thing was it would go away on it's own after about 30-60 minutes of use.

I can hear the hum/buzz/hiss form my center speaker when sitting on the couch and the shows volume is quiet. For it sounds like an extra noise. But for the other speakers, I have to go over and put my ear up against it to hear it. For the other speakers that don't get the hum/buzz/hiss, I don't hear anything extra out of them.

I'm using Klipsch speakers.
KG 5.5 front left and right (ancient things still work! Got them in the mid 90's)
RP-450C
RP-205S
RP-250S for Surround left/right
RP-505SA for Front Presence left/right (atmos). I also have 2 more, and plan to hook them up for the back of the room.
Dayton Sub 1000

For comparison of unwanted noises from speakers let me tell you about my computer speakers. I have a work computer sharing with my gaming computer a set of Logitech Z-5300e speakers. Gaming computer and work computer are connected to those speakers. But when I use my gaming PC and those speaker I will get ground loop noise. That is affected by whatever volume I have it set at. The louder the volume knob is set to, the louder that noise gets. Gaming PC is connected to a power strip connected to the bottom plug on the wall. Work computer is going through a UPS and connected to the top plug on the wall. So as work around, I just disconnect the audio cable from my work computer to get rid of the noise on my speakers when using the game computer. Or just use a headset instead of the speakers.

V

Volt

Enthusiast

Second- do a hard reset after making sure the problem occurs with all sources, especially if it happens with the tuner- if it happens with the tuner, that fact pretty well rules out an external cause.

Are you saying that the hum occurs when you use the setup menu? Separate the HDMI cables from all others- some cables have problems emitting interference to others, especially if they're laying or bundled together.
This is my first time using banana plugs. I could use some practice with making the connections better for sure. When I was disconnecting the Denon to take to the ship, a couple of the plugs fell apart, due to not being screwed in correctly. The tip fell off. I'm using Monoprice ones. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BZHZNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I really like how much easier it makes it for plugin in, unplugging my speaker cable. I dislike having to thread speaker wire into those tiny holes without. And now a days I need to use my glasses to see it well enough to do it without bending the copper threads.

I'll remember that about the hard reset next time I need to trouble shoot my unit. And testing the tuner to check for external causes. Thanks.

Am I saying the hum occurs when I use the setup menu? Let me rephrase that. When the hum occurs, it's happening outside of the setup menu, as well as in the setup menu. Furthermore, when I'm in the setup menu I noticed that the hum will sound slightly different depending on if I'm over a lit selection, or an unlit selection. One will be slightly louder than the other.

Yeah, I need to do a better job with cable management. Or at least maybe try to organize the HDMI cables better so that they are not laying on top of other ones; power and speaker.

highfigh

highfigh

This is my first time using banana plugs. I could use some practice with making the connections better for sure. When I was disconnecting the Denon to take to the ship, a couple of the plugs fell apart, due to not being screwed in correctly. The tip fell off. I'm using Monoprice ones. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BZHZNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I really like how much easier it makes it for plugin in, unplugging my speaker cable. I dislike having to thread speaker wire into those tiny holes without. And now a days I need to use my glasses to see it well enough to do it without bending the copper threads.

I'll remember that about the hard reset next time I need to trouble shoot my unit. And testing the tuner to check for external causes. Thanks.

Am I saying the hum occurs when I use the setup menu? Let me rephrase that. When the hum occurs, it's happening outside of the setup menu, as well as in the setup menu. Furthermore, when I'm in the setup menu I noticed that the hum will sound slightly different depending on if I'm over a lit selection, or an unlit selection. One will be slightly louder than the other.

Yeah, I need to do a better job with cable management. Or at least maybe try to organize the HDMI cables better so that they are not laying on top of other ones; power and speaker.
Banana plugs are great if the amplifiers or speakers will be changed frequently but they're totally unnecessary although I will say that making the connections can be a royal PITA with big hands and difficult access.

Long plugs with bare metal should never be used because they make accidental contact with others almost inevitable- some are strong enough that it's not likely, but those can cause the post to bend, too.

Yamaha had a plastic piece that fit over the binding post and allowed turning without needle-like fingertips. I think this should be available for all binding posts.

The reason I asked if the noise comes with the menu is because I have heard it- never happened when the menu wasn't being used and a different HDMI cable cured those cases.

highfigh

highfigh

Are you saying all banana plugs can short each other by touching? What plugs are going to do that?
The long, bare metal type- some don't fit tightly, some have tips that can unscrew (like the ones the OP has) and when pushing an amp or AVR into a crowded cabinet, they can and do bend. Some cost a lot but aren't very strong. In an open cabinet, they're great but I would like to see someone develop plugs with a shorter part behind the pin- most banana plugs allow adding another to parallel the connections and for speakers, that's not needed in most cases.

These aren't fancy, but they are insulated and the wire enters in line with the pin- I use them when shorting could happen-

If space isn't a problem and in my own systems, I use these because they're very sturdy (my systems aren't in crowded cabinets and the main one is in a 19" rack)-

V

Volt

Enthusiast
UPDATE 04/16/21

I just received a refurbished X6700H from Sound United. It was FED EX'd to me one of their warehouses in Carlsbad, CA.

Recap :

I dropped off the AVR for warranty repairs at a local place to me in Los Angeles. They said it would be a 3 week wait until the tech person could look at it. I gave them a print out, of the issues described above. I called them 4 weeks later to check on the status. They said they were going to request a replacement from Denon. And to give it a couple weeks for it to show up. And on April 16th, it showed up!

The unit looks brand new. It comes in a brown blank box, with accessories. Plus a few extra documents explaining it's a refurbished unit. I now have extra sets of; remote, rocket + mic, and blue tooth antennas. Plus they gave me a pair of AAA batteries. The remote take AA. Which that is included as well. It's got appropriate foam and plastic baggy. Though not quite as nice as when it's brand new. The boxed unit was starting to open on one end. One of the documents has warranty info for refurbished (B-stock) units. It's only a 1 year warranty on it. Which is from the date of purchase. In my case, I bought it on Oct 7th,. 2020. So it has less than a year left. If I understand things correctly.

I swapped out my Yamaha AVR for this one. Man, all those labeled banana plugs for my speakers sure made it a breeze to reconnect everything. I went through the setup, and running Audessey for my speakers. And everything appears to be working now with my 5.1.4 setup. No hum coming from those specific speakers. <knock on wood>

So that was about 7 weeks, and 1 day without having a Denon 6700 connected to my speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
UPDATE 04/16/21

I just received a refurbished X6700H from Sound United. It was FED EX'd to me one of their warehouses in Carlsbad, CA.

Recap :

I dropped off the AVR for warranty repairs at a local place to me in Los Angeles. They said it would be a 3 week wait until the tech person could look at it. I gave them a print out, of the issues described above. I called them 4 weeks later to check on the status. They said they were going to request a replacement from Denon. And to give it a couple weeks for it to show up. And on April 16th, it showed up!

The unit looks brand new. It comes in a brown blank box, with accessories. Plus a few extra documents explaining it's a refurbished unit. I now have extra sets of; remote, rocket + mic, and blue tooth antennas. Plus they gave me a pair of AAA batteries. The remote take AA. Which that is included as well. It's got appropriate foam and plastic baggy. Though not quite as nice as when it's brand new. The boxed unit was starting to open on one end. One of the documents has warranty info for refurbished (B-stock) units. It's only a 1 year warranty on it. Which is from the date of purchase. In my case, I bought it on Oct 7th,. 2020. So it has less than a year left. If I understand things correctly.

I swapped out my Yamaha AVR for this one. Man, all those labeled banana plugs for my speakers sure made it a breeze to reconnect everything. I went through the setup, and running Audessey for my speakers. And everything appears to be working now with my 5.1.4 setup. No hum coming from those specific speakers. <knock on wood>

So that was about 7 weeks, and 1 day without having a Denon 6700 connected to my speakers.
So definitely same unit, same serial number? The refurbished units normally come that way fwiw.

V

vepula

Audiophyte
Wow. I had the exact same problem. Tried all kinds of things. The took it to the recommended local repair shop but they couldn''t replicate the problem so I got in touch with Denon. Who then told me to send the unit to a Blue Ribbon repair facility. They too had a problem replicating the problem. All along however Denon was aware of the issue and for some reason was not reaching out to these repair shops. Nevertheless, eventually Denon sent me a replacement. A refurbished unit. That was 5 months ago. But here is the kicker the replacement is now doing the same thing. Hope you have better luck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis