Denon x4800h vs Onkyo RZ70

E

Edens101

Audiophyte
Building a new home theater set up and trying to decide on a receiver. I have previously used the Yamaha RX-A6A and really enjoyed the functionality it offers. 8k HDMI, HDR support, PEQ with 7 bands per channel and 4 bands per sub output, Musicast app, the web interface and network command capabilities. However I have discovered the limiters they put in place on output power and realized that at 7 channels driven it is limiting me in the mid 50 watts per channel.

Looking for something that can provide similar functionality and more power per channel in the $2-2500k range. I will be driving a 7.2.2 system with SVS Ultra Towers and center, dual PB-2000 Pros, and Prime Satellite and Elevation speakers for surround and height channels. The PB-2000 pros already have the built in DSP with a 3 band EQ per sub. Focus is movie watching and I do generally listen at fairly loud levels. Stuck between the Denon AVR x4800h or the Onkyo TX-RZ70 which are both on sale currently for $1,870 and $2,061 respectively which are great deals on both. I’ve also seen the Sony AZ5000ES that is intriguing and in the same price range.

Onkyo provides considerably more power (133 watts at 7 channels), supports Dirac, but lacks true PEQ capabilities. The Denon offers both Audyssey and Dirac with better EQ capabilities, but slightly less power output (low 100s at 7 channels). The Sony is getting great reviews for its surround reproduction.

Any input on these options? Obviously I could go with an AVR and add an external amp on top, but the A6A is currently $2,500 compared to these two higher powered AVRs that are currently cheaper.

Last edited:
J

jfortado

Audiophyte
Building a new home theater set up and trying to decide on a receiver. I have previously used the Yamaha RX-A6A and really enjoyed the functionality it offers. 8k HDMI, HDR support, PEQ with 7 bands per channel and 4 bands per sub output, Musicast app, the web interface and network command capabilities. However I have discovered the limiters they put in place on output power and realized that at 7 channels driven it is limiting me in the mid 50 watts per channel.

Looking for something that can provide similar functionality and more power per channel in the $2-2500k range. I will be driving a 7.2.2 system with SVS Ultra Towers and center, dual PB-2000 Pros, and Prime Satellite and Elevation speakers for surround and height channels. The PB-2000 pros already have the built in DSP with a 3 band EQ per sub. Focus is movie watching and I do generally listen at fairly loud levels. Stuck between the Denon AVR x4800h or the Onkyo TX-RZ70 which are both on sale currently for $1,870 and $2,061 respectively which are great deals on both. I’ve also seen the Sony AZ5000ES that is intriguing and in the same price range.

Onkyo provides considerably more power (133 watts at 7 channels), supports Dirac, but lacks true PEQ capabilities. The Denon offers both Audyssey and Dirac with better EQ capabilities, but slightly less power output (low 100s at 7 channels). The Sony is getting great reviews for its surround reproduction.

Any input on these options? Obviously I could go with an AVR and add an external amp on top, but the A6A is currently $2,500 compared to these two higher powered AVRs that are currently cheaper.
I have a Denon 3800 and added a power amp to go with it. The AVR’s amps were good but I needed more dynamic headroom in my space to get it as loud and full sounding as I wanted it when I really turned up the volume. Denon 3800 and 4800 can both go into full preamp mode which is great also.

E

Edens101

Audiophyte
I have a Denon 3800 and added a power amp to go with it. The AVR’s amps were good but I needed more dynamic headroom in my space to get it as loud and full sounding as I wanted it when I really turned up the volume. Denon 3800 and 4800 can both go into full preamp mode which is great also.
That’s funny, I was looking at that as a solution today. The 3800 is on sale for $1,200 right now, looking to use an Outlaw 5000x to run LCR and surrounds at 120w at 5 channels, let the 3800 run the rear surround and height channels. Just under $2k for the two combined.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The ACD ratings are relatively meaningless for actual use fwiw. Your avr has the capability of putting out 150wpc otherwise (as needed in each channel). Why not just add an external amp to your Yamaha if you really think more power is needed beyond the on-board amps?

E

Edens101

Audiophyte
The ACD ratings are relatively meaningless for actual use fwiw. Your avr has the capability of putting out 150wpc otherwise (as needed in each channel). Why not just add an external amp to your Yamaha if you really think more power is needed beyond the on-board amps?
The Yamaha was in a theater at the house I am selling and I will be building a new setup, so I am open to other options.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd probably do the Denon 3800 with a power amp (if really needed)....the 4800 really has no advantage but a fairly meaningless bit of extra power.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah ACD doesn’t matter to me. Limiting ACD to protect the circuits and keeping heat down is a plus to me.

I wouldn’t let some technical numbers determine what I buy.

What matters is the sound quality and the functionality.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah ACD doesn’t matter to me. Limiting ACD to protect the circuits and keeping heat down is a plus to me.

I wouldn’t let some technical numbers determine what I buy.

What matters is the sound quality and the functionality.
What would the "sound quality" differences amount to?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What would the "sound quality" differences amount to?
Every brand or even unit may have a different setup - EQ, RC, etc. A lot of times, the setup determines the sound quality.

It seems not everyone finds it easy to get the setup they want. So if someone has the sound they want and all the functionality they want, it’s probably a not a good idea to change just because of some numbers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Every brand or even unit may have a different setup - EQ, RC, etc. A lot of times, the setup determines the sound quality.

It seems not everyone finds it easy to get the setup they want. So if someone has the sound they want and all the functionality they want, it’s probably a good idea not to change just because of some numbers.
I can see different dsp making a difference (which I wouldn't call sound quality particularly, just a matter of taste as well as the effectiveness of the dsp implementation), not so much otherwise. The more tweakable to taste the better I'd think.

Last edited:
D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I probably would not consider the X4800... the feature set is the same as the X3800 for a premium price - if you need more power/current, then you need an external amp, or you need to be looking much further up the range (X6800/A10H)...
If you want an integrated AVR (no external power), then the Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer RZ70 and siblings provide great value, and high current capability.

You will need to trawl through the feature details for differences.... in actual deployed use, I think there would be no audible difference between properly configured X3800+high current power amps, vs RZ70...

Keep in mind that if you want DLBC (or ART next year) - then the Denon has to bear additional software costs for both Dirac Live and DLBC where the Onkyo comes with Dirac Live, and you add DLBC...

I doubt there would be anything in it between them price wise.

Also keep in mind, that due to the main load being L/C/R - the external power amp need only cover those, not the surround and height channels, you can leverage the internal AVR amps for surround and height without compromising, as you effectively free up a lot of current/power that way. So you needn't be looking for a huge multichannel power amp, a single high current stereo amp, will probably be ample (leave the C on the AVR as well).

T

Tipsy

Audiophyte

Check out the listing on Slickdeals for the Yamaha A8A.

T

Tipsy

Audiophyte
Put message in wrong spot (I think). Slick deals has a listing for the Yamaha A8A well within the price range.

N

NMG

Enthusiast
I’d suggest separates if you’re really wanting more power. I’m not sure if any of the higher end AVRs are going to be that different from each other, power wise, in real world conditions. They should all be able to drive a normal sized system in a normal sized room plenty loud.

If you’re getting into bigger rooms, more demanding speakers or just want to have more power (I get it, it’s cool!) go for a separate power amp IMHO.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis