Denon x4800h vs Marantz Cinema 50

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Nah.... I will just take your word for it. :)
Thanks, regardless, I posted the link to the video before but for a quick reference in case others are interested, below is the screenshot of the preamp/dac block diagram from the video:

Obvious this is Marantz as you can tell by the presence of the HDAM, Denon's will be the same but without the HDAM.

You can see that even if the HDAM (discrete Opamp) does have better slew rate, it's performance will still be limited by the upstream components such as the DAC, opamps, selector (also solid state ICs), E. Vol (SS ICs) etc.,. Assuming the HDAM does offer lower impedance, it also doesn't matter because it also has an opamp right in front of the power amp (not shown in block diagram, but clearly shown in the service manual for the previous models such as the SR6014 and presumably newer ones) that are ICs, that is, not the discrete type like the HDAM. Amazingly, the OPAs positioned after the HDAM but before the power amp inputs were shown to be there for the front left and right channels though, as noted by bigguyca.

The diagram shows analog input signals, if direct or pure direct mode is selected, it will bypass the ADC (not shown) and DAC but cannot bypass the E. Vol and the HDAM.

1677494507722.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Amir (ASR) said he had finished the review on the AVR-X4800H and sent the results to Denon Japan, so now we just wait..

C

Cappie

Enthusiast
I decided to pull the trigger on the X4800h.
I want to thank everyone for their input and thoughts. I listened to you all. I anxiously await Amir's test results, although I suspect that performance improvements may be marginal, however, better build quality, better components and the way that the monolithic power supply allows for discrete individual power boards per channel, which allows for increased space between the boards and subsequently, in theory, should allow the unit to run cooler and with less cross talk. Will it make a audible difference in sound? We'll know in just a few more days. But for me, the build quality, better components and significant price vs features were the deciding factors for me. If Amir's results show a notable increase in performance, then that will just be icing on the cake. Thanks again to all.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
According the member who sent the unit in, ASR now has the response from Denon Japan, and we may see the results published sometime today.

Denon AVR-X4800H released for Sale | Page 10 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

My prediction, based on hints reportedly dropped by Amir a while back, SINAD (again not emphasizing the importance as it is just one metric) will likely be in the low 90's.

Given the DAC IC's spec is 93 dB, if the 4800 can get close to that, say 92 dB at 2 V, it will show D+M has done an excellent job in their implementation.

As preamble, in case people starts to compare, for reference, the Marantz AV8805A managed just below 92 dB and the AV7705 managed just below 75 dB, at 2 V RCA or 4 V XLR. Denon AVRs had done better than the Marantz AV preamp/processors in their pre TI DAC chip versions. "separates" don't always perform better!! Yes they should be better in reliability all else being equal as they should run a little cooler, and XLRs are nice even if it doesn't improve on SNR significantly in most cases.

However, the new Marantz AV10, should do better than AVR/AVP ASR and Audioholics have measured so far, based on the info in the Masimo video. Hopefully Gene will be publishing the results soon!

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
However, the new Marantz AV10, should do better than AVR/AVP ASR and Audioholics have measured so far, based on the info in the Masimo video. Hopefully Gene will be publishing the results soon!
Gene? How goes the AV10/AMP10 measurements?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

THD+N ~ 0.0016%
SINAD ~ 95dB

R

ryaneagon

Audiophyte
I was hoping to get some info regarding the x4800h vs the Marantz Cinema 40. Doing some research, these 2 AVR's are nearly identical on paper, but the Cinema 40 is $1,000 more. Why is this? I'm looking at both these AVR's also, I'm looking at the Anthem MRX 1140. 50/50 movies, and music. Just curious if there are any real-world differences. I planned to purchase a 3-channel amp to help take some load off the AVR, I use Polk R700 fronts and Polk L400 Center, and all 3 could benefit from an external amp, saving $1000 is all good in my book, but I don't dropping more $ on the 40 if it's justified. I'm also reading most who own an Anthem think it is more musical than Denon or Marantz, especially 2 channel playback, not sure how it's more musical...

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see it as worth any more, let alone $1000.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
It's just a premium you pay in North America for the brand name and the aesthetics. In Europe, the prices are very similar between the X4800H and Cinema 40.

R

ryaneagon

Audiophyte
It's just a premium you pay in North America for the brand name and the aesthetics. In Europe, the prices are very similar between the X4800H and Cinema 40.
I see....Thanks for the info.

C

cplreggie

Audiophyte
I decided to pull the trigger on the X4800h.
I want to thank everyone for their input and thoughts. I listened to you all. I anxiously await Amir's test results, although I suspect that performance improvements may be marginal, however, better build quality, better components and the way that the monolithic power supply allows for discrete individual power boards per channel, which allows for increased space between the boards and subsequently, in theory, should allow the unit to run cooler and with less cross talk. Will it make a audible difference in sound? We'll know in just a few more days. But for me, the build quality, better components and significant price vs features were the deciding factors for me. If Amir's results show a notable increase in performance, then that will just be icing on the cake. Thanks again to all.
I just pulled the trigger on the X4800 as well. It should arrive tomorrow. How are you liking it so far? how has it compared to what you previously had? I currently have a Yamaha RX-V3900 that I bought in 2009. I was debating between the X4800, Cinema 50, Cinema 40, and Yamaha A6A. It seems that the Marantz, while nice, aren't quite worth the $1000 premium over the Denon. It also seems like, after all the firmware updates, the A6A maybe equal to, or slightly better than the 4800. After I purchased the 4800 online, a few days ago, I saw the A6A was on sale for a little less. I'm hoping I made the right decision here. Unfortunately I have no place near by that demo's audio equipment, so I have to go strictly on reviews. I also want to upgrade my speakers, which is even harder to decide on when you can't hear them. lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just pulled the trigger on the X4800 as well. It should arrive tomorrow. How are you liking it so far? how has it compared to what you previously had? I currently have a Yamaha RX-V3900 that I bought in 2009. I was debating between the X4800, Cinema 50, Cinema 40, and Yamaha A6A. It seems that the Marantz, while nice, aren't quite worth the $1000 premium over the Denon. It also seems like, after all the firmware updates, the A6A maybe equal to, or slightly better than the 4800. After I purchased the 4800 online, a few days ago, I saw the A6A was on sale for a little less. I'm hoping I made the right decision here. Unfortunately I have no place near by that demo's audio equipment, so I have to go strictly on reviews. I also want to upgrade my speakers, which is even harder to decide on when you can't hear them. lol.
As long as it has the feature set you need, I wouldn't worry about the avr so much. As to speakers, I haven't been near any place to audition in many years so I just do my homework (not so much subjective only reviews, but rather those including measurements, as well as some user experiences in select fora/audio groups). There are some internet direct outfits that offer an in-home trial period, and using them in your own room is generally better than a showroom....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis