Denon X3600H vs Marantz AV7706

• Thread starter Inquisitorbroeska
  • Start date
I

Inquisitorbroeska

Audiophyte
So I currently have the Denon X3600H and I'm using the pre outs to a 7 channel outlaw amp and an OSD Black 5 channel amp. I have a full 7.2.4 set up. I'm aware the Denon has enough juice to run the Klipsch speakers I'm using, I was just positioning myself for a real pre pro at some point. Here's the rub. I like all the things I'm reading about the Marantz AV7706, but is it really going to be that much better than the Denon using pre outs? This pre pro is on the low end of costs at $2600 and even that is pretty high.

Is the dedicated pre pro truly better sonically than a receiver using the pre outs? I don't know enough about this to pull the trigger.

I don't know anyone else who's into Home theatre that I can talk to, so I'm putting this out to this community.

Thanks is advance for any help or information you guys might have.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well that Denon avr has been measuring better over at audiosciencereview.com than the Marantz pre-pros....not that its going to be an audible difference.....

I

Inquisitorbroeska

Audiophyte
Oh wow, I didn't realise that! I'd just hate to invest in something that isn't going to make much of a difference. Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is the dedicated pre pro truly better sonically than a receiver using the pre outs? I don't know enough about this to pull the trigger.
In my experience, I would say no but it always depend.. I replaced my ex flagship AV8801 with a mid range AVR-X4400H that costed me 1/3 of what I paid for the Marantz, and suffer absolutely no loss. The Denon is used with ext. amps, but even the internal amps sounded no different than my separates at the SPL I need for stereo music listening.

As HD mentioned, the Marantz prepros measured worse, much worse for the AV7705, than the Denon AVR-X3600H, though I agree to his point that the difference will likely not be audible (to most people anyway).

The AV7706 is not expected to measure better because it appears to be based on the AV7705 with the HDMI 2.1 compatible board.

I don't know anyone else who's into Home theatre that I can talk to, so I'm putting this out to this community.
You can do so right here, but may get more diverse views, that is from people in both "camps" elsewhere such as the AVF and AVSF. On this forum, it seems there are more AVR/AVP users from the objective camp (leaning.. I mean). Just know that what people tell you about the so called better sound from the so called separate processors are based on their subjective evaluations, that may or may not apply to you the same way. If compared with something like the X3600H in DBT, all those claimed audible differences will most likely disappear.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the DECISION between AVR vs AVP is about PERSONAL preference.

My PERSONAL thoughts on this subject:

Just because you own "separates" doesn't mean they will sound better or do anything better. And if the quality is worse, they may sound worse than AVRs.

If you're gonna go separates, then you can't go cheap in the first place - like cheaper amps. :D

For AVPs, bare minimum is the Yamaha CX-A5200. More expensive would be Marantz AV8805, Anthem AVPs, Monoprice HTP-1. Higher up would be DataSat and ATI ATP-16 (once it is released :D). Then even higher up would those $20K AVPs.

For amps, we're talking ATI (and amps made by ATI), Legacy Audio, Parasound, Anthem, Rotel, Classe, etc.

Otherwise, just stick to the simple life of AVRs. They sound great. They measure great. They are a convenient one-piece solution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis