A

ashrithashi90

Enthusiast
Hello guys ,
Today I purchased my first AVR denon x1500h ..
Later I realized no avr's play video content from external hard drive. Now wht do I purchase to play my external drives DTS-HD , dd+ , atmos files formats?? Please help ..
I saw certain bluray players but they doesn't play atmos files on hard drive.
Any suggestions on this?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

A

ashrithashi90

Enthusiast
A computer?
That's right but , I have desktop in other room wic connot be moved to living hall . And I don have laptop . Any other suggestions.?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Build a computer for your "living hall" (what's a living hall?). Maybe something simple like a Raspberry Pi ....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt that would do it unless your hdd is already network enabled? @panteragstk might have an idea along the nvidia lines....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know particularly, could depend on how they were ripped. I've had poor luck ripping blurays so I just play the blurays. Video is possible over DLNA, what its limitations for codecs are particularly, I don't know.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'd just get an nvidia shield, plug the drive in and use the built in plex server. Done. The plex app is also included and you can just use everything locally. Free, depending on what features you want. Basic stuff for playback works great.

You can also use Kodi on the shield with very good results. An AVR will be VERY limited on what video types it can play back. I wouldn't bother with it. External devices are much easier to deal with.

A

ashrithashi90

Enthusiast
Thanks.. I'll look into it... :)

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hello guys ,
Today I purchased my first AVR denon x1500h ..
Later I realized no avr's play video content from external hard drive. Now wht do I purchase to play my external drives DTS-HD , dd+ , atmos files formats?? Please help ..
I saw certain bluray players but they doesn't play atmos files on hard drive.
Any suggestions on this?

Just buy an Android box from amazon and play through it. It has USB port so you can connect Flash drives, hdd etc
It allows you to do 4k HDR and lossless audio with coreelec

Here: https://amzn.to/3iWNlhj

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I'd just get an nvidia shield, plug the drive in and use the built in plex server. Done. The plex app is also included and you can just use everything locally. Free, depending on what features you want. Basic stuff for playback works great.

You can also use Kodi on the shield with very good results. An AVR will be VERY limited on what video types it can play back. I wouldn't bother with it. External devices are much easier to deal with.
No need to spend that much just to use an HDD for playing media, trust me, you just need an android box. You'll also be able to stream live air channels if you have one and its portable enough to be carried everywhere.

Idk whats the craze of the nvidia shield these days. If you're not a gammer you just need android box.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No need to spend that much just to use an HDD for playing media, trust me, you just need an android box. You'll also be able to stream live air channels if you have one and its portable enough to be carried everywhere.

Idk whats the craze of the nvidia shield these days. If you're not a gammer you just need android box.

Well, there is a lot missing from what you're saying. One of the more important things is the fact that the "Android" boxes you're talking about often come with VERY outdated versions of Android and aren't Android TV so they usually have some GUI that is specific to the manufacturer. Yes, you can get different launchers and such and for people that know how to do that, cool. Grab a cheap Android box and go about your business.

However, for people that don't know what I'm talking about, those cheap boxes are not for you. Something more established and user friendly will work much better. Plus, I've used those boxes and it's no contest as to which one has a smoother user experience. Those boxes are way too underpowered to handle a large collection.

I want something that works, well, for many, many years. The only boxes I can think of that fit that bill are the shield, Apple TVs, and rokus. Sure, Amazon updates their devices, but those have issues of their own.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis