Denon vs Pioneer question...

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, been looking to upgrade. I've always had Pioneer Elite receivers but been looking at Denon in the $1,600 dollar range compared to the Pioneer Elite. One thing that strikes me that has me probably leaning toward the Pioneer is the power consumption. We are talking 710 watts vs 310 watts for the Pioneer!! Both receivers have all the bells and whistles. Around the same watts per channel. Why such a bigger power supply on the Denon? I have everything connected to my AVR so mine is turned on all the time. TV speakers are bypassed. So whats the deal?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys, been looking to upgrade. I've always had Pioneer Elite receivers but been looking at Denon in the $1,600 dollar range compared to the Pioneer Elite. One thing that strikes me that has me probably leaning toward the Pioneer is the power consumption. We are talking 710 watts vs 310 watts for the Pioneer!! Both receivers have all the bells and whistles. Around the same watts per channel. Why such a bigger power supply on the Denon? I have everything connected to my AVR so mine is turned on all the time. TV speakers are bypassed. So whats the deal?
Without knowing model numbers, I'd say the Pioneer is class D and the Denon is AB.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You can't normally tell by the consumption numbers because different make uses different methods to calculate/specify their power consumption figures. Also, as already mentioned, without the model numbers, we can't tell regardless as Pioneer has made both class AB and D in the past. If the specified power output are the same or only slightly different though, then yes the 310 W(consumption spec) would likely be class D, or at least not class AB.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
It would be Pioneers newest 704 model vs Denons newest 4500 model. Both Class D.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
The Denon is class D?
OK, it's not Class D but Denon has their own updated version. I have to justify the much increase in power consumption for me to get the Denon. The better room correction isn't enough reason for me.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
OK, it's not Class D but Denon has their own updated version. I have to justify the much increase in power consumption for me to get the Denon. The better room correction isn't enough reason for me.
Unless you listen at insane levels, it shouldn't make that much a difference. Depending on your speakers, 1w gets most people over 85dbs. You would have to be listening to multichannel all stereo to really use it up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't imagine using the power consumption "spec" to be a determining factor on what avr to get, especially comparing different amp efficiency like AB vs D entails. If you're trying to be greener with your power use I'd say go with a class D amp, tho, altho it's not really a significant savings. I'd just choose which one has the features/connectivity that fit your current/future needs best.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Might also check out the Yamaha RX-A3080. You could probably get it for $1600 somewhere out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis