Denon & Sonus Faber - Grand Piano

J

jmoore

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am planning to start home theater system with Denon 3803 or the new 3805.  Front Speakers Sonus Faber - Grand Pianos, back speakers SF - Concertinos, still have not decided on center speaker, but thinking about SF - Solo.

Looking for input...

Thanks!</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Love the SF's &amp; the Denon is certainly a good receiver but, from what I've been told, you may need to add an outboard amp to get the best out of the SF's. I'd do it if I could afford it.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If I need an outboard amp, would it be better to go with a component set-up?  Any suggestions on the amp?

Thanks.</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I heard the GP's driven by a B&amp;K AV-507,which is a $3-4K receiver (150wpc). They sounded sweet. I've heard that they are a little power hungry. You could go with the Denon &amp; ,if not satisfied, add an amp to the Denon. Still cheaper than most separates. I've yet to own a separate amp so I can only suggest what I've heard. B&amp;K makes a good product &amp; I have seen where Outlaw makes some amps in the same category.</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
jmoore : <font color='#000000'>I am planning to start home theater system with Denon 3803 or the new 3805.  </font>
<font color='#000000'>Have you looked at very very shortly upcoming Arcam AVR300?

See:Arcam AVR300</font>

J

jmoore

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>EdR, no I haven't... first time I've heard of Arcam. &nbsp;How do they compare to the Denon 3803 or 3805?

Thanks.</font>

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have to agree with Zipper - the B&amp;K and Sonus Fabers were a very nice combination. &nbsp;I didn't want to spend the dollars for the Sonus Fabers, so I purchased the Paradigm Studio Reference Series, but I did my B&amp;K vs Yamaha and Pioneer testing using the Sonus Fabers. &nbsp;Both sounded great together, but I felt that the B&amp;K was the far better performer with the Sonus Fabers. &nbsp;That said, I'd listen to the Denon and other sources through the SFs if you've firmly settled on them.
&nbsp; Bottom line, don't just buy the Denon until listening the B&amp;K - there are some deals out there on them...

Pat</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jmoore

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Back to Zippers comment regarding amp maybe required to help drive the SF's...

If I go with an amp to help drive the SF's what's the opinion about bumping back to the Denon 3803 and adding an amp rather than the 3805 and adding the amp?  Obviously, this is looking at the cost side of the equation.  

Is there enough noticable difference between the the 3803 and 3805 that would warrant going with the 3805?

Thanks.</font>

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Both sounded great together, but I felt that the B&amp;K was the far better performer with the Sonus Fabers. </td></tr></table>

If both are &quot;great&quot;, how can one sound &quot;far better&quot; than the other?</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
jmoore : <font color='#000000'>EdR, no I haven't... first time I've heard of Arcam.  How do they compare to the Denon 3803 or 3805?

Thanks.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Arcam is 'higher end' British. &nbsp;I listened to the 'smaller' AVR200 vs. the top NAD receiver and thought it much better sounding. &nbsp;You might want to 'google' the company for reviews as well as see if you have a local store to go and listen for yourself. &nbsp;I don't think that they're sold online.</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I haven't demo'd the 3803 or the 3805 so I can't answer that question. If you can,demo the SF's with everything possible. Try them with whatever receivers they have set up &amp; then see if you can listen to them with separates. That might give you an answer to the cost vs. performance issue. You can ALWAYS add an amp later. Or you may decide to go with separates now.</font>

R

Ross

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>That speaker combo would be fantastic, given a capable amp to push them. &nbsp;The Faber's are great, but like others stated, you must have robust amplification to fully exploit their sonic abilities. &nbsp;You should at least start with B&amp;K and Rotel. &nbsp;It really depends on just how deep your pocket book is! &nbsp;The denon just won't do them any justice. &nbsp;I think Tweeter is still running some specials on their B&amp;K product lines. &nbsp;From my dealings with them, you should be able to work out a decent package price if you get both the Faber's and B&amp;K. &nbsp;Just don't fall for any of the serpent branded cables they will try to peddle on you! &nbsp;They make more commission off cables alone than they do on just about everything else...go figure...

best,</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis