Denon, Integra, or Yamaha?

F

Fish Stalker

Audiophyte
I have the opportunity to get an Integra DTR 7.4 (basically an Onkyo 801 with minor upgrades) or a Yamaha RX-V2500, or Denon 2805 all for basically the same price. I’d like to know which one you’d choose and why?

I know they are all quality units, and they all have their sonic differences. The problem is I can’t audition them all at the same time with the same speakers. My main speakers are Paradigm Studio 60’s. From what I have heard, in the dealer showrooms, I like the Yamaha sound a little better than Denon. The Integra also sounded good, but they were all hooked to different speakers, and there is no way to take them home and demo with my Paradigms. Also the Denon and Yamaha offer auto-setup where the Integra does not. All offer some form of pure audio, but Integra also offers VLSC, which has trickled down from the Integra Research line and is suppose to make a huge difference.

I need your help and opinion to make the best choice, as I probably will not be able to upgrade for another few years.

Thanks!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Well, let me explain what you get into if I list which one I would choose. Some people may take offense and say brand (x) is better than the brand (a) I chose. And it goes on & on. The best thing to do is decide what options you need the unit to have, then play with the remotes & knobs. See which one looks good to you & make sure it can handle the speakers you are using. Then shop for the best price or dealer you feel comfortable with & come back & tell us how killer it is. :)

The point is, you can't go wrong with any of them as long as they have the options you will be needing! :)

F

Fish Stalker

Audiophyte
I guess what I'm looking for is a shoot out type opinion. If these three were in a shootout, which one would win and why?

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have considered these three. I'd like to hear from others what they purchased and why.

Thanks!

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I listened to the Denon 2805 and the Yamaha 1500 at the nearby UE. I liked the sound better on the Yamaha, but I upgraded to the RX-V2500. It has more power and the RS-232 port to add software for the next Dolby/DTS/THX/Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young version to come out. At least it shouldn't be too obsolete for a couple of years.

Right out of the box, it sounded great, on both music and movies. I have Infinity Alphas. I've even been watching movies I was stupid enough to buy a while back just to hear all the really cool sounds (we all have them.. Starship Troopers, Star Trek Generations, Mortal Kombat 2)

Is it the end-all/be-all.. no. It's very deep and might not fit into an enclosed cabinet. It's alsoa pain to feed in the speaker wires into the binding posts, so some bananas are a good idea (of course, they only make it deeper). Some people complain about the remote, that you can't see some of the functions in the dark. I haven't really had that problem, but I don't adjust much once I settle in with a movie.

If you do the up-front work, it's an excellent receiver and an outstanding value. :)

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
"DTS/THX/CROSBY/STILLS/NASH/YOUNG" hahahahahahaha
Good1...

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
crashguy said:
"DTS/THX/CROSBY/STILLS/NASH/YOUNG" hahahahahahaha
Good1...
ok so I ripped off George Karlin... he was actually making fun of Merrill-Lynch, if I remember right. but it was from the days when he was actually creative... sadly now, he's nothing more than a crabby old man with an audience.... :(

R

Ross

Junior Audioholic
"The best thing to do is decide what options you need the unit to have, then play with the remotes & knobs. See which one looks good to you & make sure it can handle the speakers you are using. Then shop for the best price or dealer you feel comfortable with & come back & tell us how killer it is."

Well spoken Z!

Ross.

F

Fish Stalker

Audiophyte
The number 1 option I want the unit to have is the best clear sound in 2 channel. I feel that if a receiver sounds good in 2 channel it will sound good for surround. Follow that with ease of use. If the wife can't use it, it may as well be worthless. I'm very intrigued by use of auto setup and room calibration in the Denon and Yamaha. How close do these actually come to using a meter. Is this the wave of the future? Quality control or quality products are a big issue for me. Is the manufacture know for standing behind their product, and fixing problems if they arrise. Also, how often do these manufactures update there software to give us the newest bells and whistles via RS-232?

There's a lot to consider here and I'm still looking for others views.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Fish Stalker said:
Is the manufacture know for standing behind their product, and fixing problems if they arrise. Also, how often do these manufactures update there software to give us the newest bells and whistles via RS-232?

There's a lot to consider here and I'm still looking for others views.
Yamaha will only stand behind their RX-V series if you buy them from a local dealer. If you buy them online (for $100 to 200 less), you don't even get warranty cards in the box.

The "lower" end HTR series will be honored by Yamaha from any retailer. :confused:

It's not the manufacturers adding bell & whistles you need to worry about.. it's the lab rats at Dolby and DTS that keep changing formats... :(

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I had a warranty card in my RX-V1400 box. And, I sent it in! :eek: With the receipt from Let's Go Digital! :D I never heard anything from Yamaha. I believe, legally, they would have to warranty. But, I doubt they would. Anyway, I think I have had it a year now! :)

plhart

Audioholic
Re: Taking basic receiver power and "sound quality" issues first I would suggest reading this article;

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/amplifiers/receiverpower.php

Past that article and in these fiercely competitive price ranges I always recommend that you next look at the rest of your system and what other units you intend to connect to the chosen receiver in the future.

If, after this exercise, you still have the same three receivers (and you probably will) then take a close look at each of the three remotes. If you have a significant other have them pick the remote that seems easiest to operate. Is it lighted? Are the channel up-down and the volume up-down buttons larger and easy to use one-handed?

The remote is your interface. It is your link to the receiver. Once you've got the whole system hooked up you'll seldom even touch the receiver. I'm reviewing a DVD-Video-Audio SACD player right now from one of the really big players in the industry. The quality of the picture and sound of this unit are superb but the cheap, non-lit remote is poorly laid out and impossible to use in the dark. Because of this I'll have to give only a provisional thumbs up to the unit itself. And I'll be happy to ship the unit back to the manufacturer at the end of the review. It's just too much of a pain to deal with.

Hope this helps...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis