Denon HEOS - Tidal - HDTracks - Streaming HiRes Music

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Denon HEOS supports FLAC up to 24/192kHz formats via USB drive or thru HEOS. It does not support MQA which Tidal offers. However, HEOS still sounds great when streaming Tidal thru my Denon 4500. I purchased Pure Heroine (Lorde) in 192kHz - 24bit with FLAC format from HDTracks to compare it with the CD version and the same high res version playing thru HEOS using Tidal.

Amazingly, they all sound awesome. My ear can't tell a difference. I'm using the iPad as a remote for HEOS. It allows me to select Tidal, the USB drive or any input on the Denon 4500. In this configuration the Denon receiver is fully supporting HiRes 192kHz - 24bit.

At one point, I was thinking I wanted a streamer, but this setup already supports HiRes and offers an amazing amount of flexibility. I signed up for HEOS previously but couldn't really do anything with it from the TV interface. The iPad interface rocks.

The only odd thing is HEOS does not support Qobuz. You would think with Denon supporting 192kHz - 24bit that Qobuz would be a no brainer. Once I explored HEOS with Tidal it would be really rare to need a Bluesound Node 2i. There is so much unlocked value in the Denon receiver line. It seems like every other month I find another feature I had not tried yet. :cool:

HEOS.png
4500 supported 2.png

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I just spent an hour on the phone with Denon, the rep could not help me.

Denon x4500, I pickup the remote and press the HEOS button I think I should be able to access Amazon, tidal, Spotify etc. from my on screen menu. When I try nothing shows up. He suggested that I could only use HEOS with a phone or tablet I don’t know much, but this can’t be right...right?

If I don’t have a phone or tablet I can’t use HEOS on the receiver????

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I just spent an hour on the phone with Denon, the rep could not help me.

Denon x4500, I pickup the remote and press the HEOS button I think I should be able to access Amazon, tidal, Spotify etc. from my on screen menu. When I try nothing shows up. He suggested that I could only use HEOS with a phone or tablet I don’t know much, but this can’t be right...right?

If I don’t have a phone or tablet I can’t use HEOS on the receiver????
I had the same issue when I first bought the 4500 and didn't realize all the features opened up with the iPad. You can't really use HEOS without an iPad or a phone. Luckily, I got an iPad for pretty reasonable.

I use my iPad almost exclusively as my Denon 4500 remote. I use the Denon 2016 AVR remote iPad app, the $20 Audyssey EQ app that lets you do so much more than the Denon can alone and it gives you ACCESS to a HUGE world of HiRes streaming up to 192kHz thru Tidal with HEOS. All of these features are supported with the iPad.

It might sound a little crazy that you need a phone or an iPad to max out the Denon features but these features are so wonderful and so much better than the remote that it's really worth it.

J

jborchel

Audiophyte
Are you saying that in order to enjoy the full Tidal lossless 192/24 on my Denon HEOS receiver that I have to come through my iPad instead of the Ethernet connection I have going into the Denon? I'm somewhat confused on the architecture of this HEOS facility. Is HEOS just a traffic cop and not a player?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Tidal uses MQA for 192/24. No receiver on the market supports MQA in their built in Tidal app. HEOS app is to Denon/Marantz as MusicCast is to Yamaha. The Yamaha controller app was recently folded into their MusicCast app. They are controller apps. Using the Tidal app built into a Denon will limit the Tidal Masters to 44.1/16. Some may show up as 48/24. A DAC that can unfold the second stage of MQA is required for 192/24 playback from Tidal. Airplay 2 will also not get 192/24 to the receiver if you use an iPhone's/iPad's Tidal app. It's a mess.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Are you saying that in order to enjoy the full Tidal lossless 192/24 on my Denon HEOS receiver that I have to come through my iPad instead of the Ethernet connection I have going into the Denon? I'm somewhat confused on the architecture of this HEOS facility. Is HEOS just a traffic cop and not a player?
To get HEOS working on the Denon you will need to download the HEOS app. With the app on your phone/tablet you can stream music from HEOS supported services. The problem I see is Qobuz is still not supported by HEOS even though it's been requested for years.

HEOS does not support AIFF but it does support most other formats. The highest quality HEOS output I have seen is with a USB drive. However, you can use Tidal but HEOS will not offer MQA unfolding.

Denon has two versions of HEOS. You can read about them here:

J

jborchel

Audiophyte
I have the HEOS app up and running and it works really great. How can I see the stream data so that when I subscribe to Tidal I can tell that I am getting their 192/24 fidelity?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
When you enroll with Tidal, HEOS will show the size of the file on the left upper side.

tempImageCKqEW4.png

The problem with Tidal is you will not find many 192kHz or 92 kHz files on their service. Most are limited to 44.1 kHz.

On the other hand, if you subscribe to Qobuz for $15 a month instead of $20 for Tidal and play them with Audirvana you can access tons of larger resolution files and they all play thru UPnP/DLNA on the Denon. Here's an example:

444qobuz.png

333qobuz.png

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Audirvana plug on the first page. I just made ten bucks.;)

J

jborchel

Audiophyte
So I’ve browsed their website and I have a couple of questions:

1. Will it run on my iPad or do I have to have a Mac. I don’t see dedicating a PC to it as it seems clumsy physically. Using an iPad for this would be nice. It would sit on the end table next to my listening position and offer a very nice operating interface.

2. Many of my artists I listen to are long gone and their recordings are older tech. Most of them are on CD but this was uplifted from recordings in the 60’s and 70’s. Miles Davis is a good example. Sinatra another. Does Qobuz take these and uplift them to 192/24 or do they come across at CD quality. If they are uplifted does that really make a difference?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
So I’ve browsed their website and I have a couple of questions:

1. Will it run on my iPad or do I have to have a Mac. I don’t see dedicating a PC to it as it seems clumsy physically. Using an iPad for this would be nice. It would sit on the end table next to my listening position and offer a very nice operating interface.

2. Many of my artists I listen to are long gone and their recordings are older tech. Most of them are on CD but this was uplifted from recordings in the 60’s and 70’s. Miles Davis is a good example. Sinatra another. Does Qobuz take these and uplift them to 192/24 or do they come across at CD quality. If they are uplifted does that really make a difference?
Answers:
1. Audirvana requires a Mac or a PC to run. This becomes your DLNA server. It offers a phone/tablet app to control the music if you don't want to do it while in front of the computer. If you don't use a computer for anything in your life then Audirvana won't be for you. The reason I like it is I can rip the CDs I like to the computer and Audirvana will play them as well as stream from Tidal/Qobuz in one screen. It's a very nice way to have everything at my fingertips.

2. Both Qobuz and Tidal have tons of Miles Davis, Coltrane and other great jazz albums. They have just about every one ever made.

If you don't use a computer I would stay with HEOS and Tidal. Many people say they can't tell the difference between these sources. You can use your iPad alone along with the HEOS App for this config.

J

jborchel

Audiophyte
I could not find the cost of Audivana on their site? What is it? If I found a used W10 PC laptop to run this is there a way to put it in my credenza in sleep mode and use my iPad or iPhone to talk to it, will it work in sleep mode? Also, if this works does the pc go through my wireless router to deliver/execute the stream to my Denon receiver?

Sorry for all these questions. I do have many years of pc usage but my tech ability is around the 50% range. This means I know a lot more than my wife but less than my son who is IT grad.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I could not find the cost of Audivana on their site? What is it? If I found a used W10 PC laptop to run this is there a way to put it in my credenza in sleep mode and use my iPad or iPhone to talk to it, will it work in sleep mode? Also, if this works does the pc go through my wireless router to deliver/execute the stream to my Denon receiver?

Sorry for all these questions. I do have many years of pc usage but my tech ability is around the 50% range. This means I know a lot more than my wife but less than my son who is IT grad.
Audirvana is $96. The computer will need to be active for the application to work. Sleep mode can't do anything. Yes, the PC needs to be connected to a wireless router along with the Denon.

J

jborchel

Audiophyte
So how about my iPad running Audirvana Remote and sending a wake on lan program to the pc that is sleep mode? Seems like a straight forward design and would give a great listening process:

1. Sit down and turn on iPad.
2. Touch wake on lan icon. Is there iOS program that does this to PC?
3. Touch Audirvana Remote icon.
4. Choose music to play.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis