Denon DVD-2900 Universal DVD Player Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>All;

Hot off the presses, my review of the Denon DVD-2900 Universal DVD player. &nbsp;Your feedback is appreciated.

Denon DVD-2900 Review</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Great review, Gene. &nbsp;I do want to point out that now Denon has introduced the DVD-2200, a new universal player that supposedly has almost the exact same inards in a smaller, lighter chassis, for $629. &nbsp;My local Denon deal is selling 'em for $600, and I've seen it online for $500.

Any chance of a review of that, too, or am I pushing my luck?
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Hi Rob;

Your pushing your luck &nbsp;

Don't forget I do have a day job &nbsp;

Seriously though the DVD-2200 looks like a great deal. &nbsp;My understanding is its a scaled down version of the 2900 particularly in the audio section. &nbsp;

Our plan going forward is to do a detailed review of the new DVD-5900 and an addendum to the AVR-5803 review to report on the direct digital link among other things. &nbsp;Stay tuned...</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Let me push my luck too and request you to review Yamaha DVD-S2300 which has got rave reviews from the video press. I recently bought one but would hold out my assesment till I get a review from audioholics.
</font>

<font color='#000080'>Yamaha review aside... I think our reviews are meant to be a general sampling of each vendor's model ranges. So an excellent review of a lesser unit may shed some indicative light on more expensive offerings, and vice versa (though not necessarily).

For us to examine every model from every vender is next to impossble, so we do the best we can to get a decent mix...</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Since your review was favorable. &nbsp;Any sense of the new Denon 2200? &nbsp;Has the same chipset and comparable specs on paper. &nbsp;It weighs 7 pounds less so there are differences?

I am considering this unit to save $400 or should I spend the extra $$ and get the 2900. &nbsp;I do not have the opportunity to demo, but could buy from Crutchfield, so I could return if not pleased</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Wine4et;

Looking over the specs of the DVD-2200, it does share many of the virtues of the DVD-2900. &nbsp;If top notch DVD-A/SACD playback is not your primary concern, then by all means go for the cheaper DVD-2200. &nbsp;However, the audio performance of the DVD-2900 is stellar and IMO worth the extra cost for serious audiophile playback. &nbsp;If you plan mostly on using the machine for DVD and CD playback via the digital audio outputs, this becomes much less of an issue however.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>HI

Good review thnx. &nbsp;I was just wondering how the CD playback was, to be a truly universal player it has to be able to deliver the goods in straight cd playback.. &nbsp;I know I may be asking a lot but Id love to be able to just have one player for all my discs</font>

<font color='#000080'>My understanding is that this is the one. Its CD playback is absolutely on-par with what you'd expect from an excellent dedicated CD-only player.</font>

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>The review was long in coming but I think it does provide a fair and accurate view of the product.  I have found Redbook playback to be superb -- I'm rediscovering the quality that has been heretofore buried in my old CD collection.

As for video output, the picture is certainly stunning.  I agree with your comments about the tendency of some to hunt for chroma bugs while ignoring the big (and superb) picture.

A few comments:
(1) Did you compare the Coax and analog outs for sound quality on traditional CD sources?  My impression, using an Rotel RSX-1055, is that the Analog outs have a much more extended and natural high end -- just the right amount of shimmer and sparkle.  Was the sound different when paired with your high-priced Denon receiver? (P.S. the Rotel receiver's probably merit a review here).

(2) Could the problem you had jumping out of the menu's unexpectedly been solved by use of the Return key on the remote?

(3) Are there any plans afoot to solve some of the minor technical problems (e.g. power off doesn't close drawer automatically) with a firmware upgrade?</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Hlesser;

Thanks for your great feedback.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A few comments:
(1) Did you compare the Coax and analog outs for sound quality on traditional CD sources? &nbsp;My impression, using an Rotel RSX-1055, is that the Analog outs have a much more extended and natural high end -- just the right amount of shimmer and sparkle. &nbsp;Was the sound different when paired with your high-priced Denon receiver? (P.S. the Rotel receiver's probably merit a review here).</td></tr></table>
I did briefly evaluate Redbook performance via the analog outs of the DVD-2900, but when compared to the AVR-5803 doing the D/A, I preferred the latter. &nbsp;The AVR-5803 has a superb DAC section, thus why I gave Redbook playback on the DVD-2900 a 4 3/4 rating as opposed to 5 thumbs.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
(2) Could the problem you had jumping out of the menu's unexpectedly been solved by use of the Return key on the remote?</td></tr></table>

I don't know, I though I tried that. &nbsp;However, I will check tonight and follow-up. &nbsp;Thanks for the suggestion.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
(3) Are there any plans afoot to solve some of the minor technical problems (e.g. power off doesn't close drawer automatically) with a firmware upgrade? </td></tr></table>

I wasn't aware of this problem. &nbsp;I usually never turn power off before shuting the disc tray. &nbsp;I will also confirm this tonight. &nbsp;Next time I speak with Denon, I will ask them about this.</font>

G

gssrjpc

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Great review. &nbsp;I can confirm the problem of the disc tray not closing when you power off the player. &nbsp;I thought that was an odd feature for a player that costs this much not to have. &nbsp;

I also don't like the player not remembering where it left off on DVD's when they are taken out of the player or the player is powered off. &nbsp;I wonder if they can fix that with a firmware upgrade. &nbsp;Heck even my cheap Pioneer DVD player had a last memory button on the remote.

Don't get me wrong, I love my player and the picture quality is far better than the Pioneer it replaced.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>All;

I have been authorized by Denon to post the following comments regarding bass management on the Denon DVD-2900. &nbsp;This will be added to our review as an addendum shortly.

Here is answer direct from Japan:

*DVD A/V (PCM GROUP)
CUT FREQ. SLOPE
HIGH-PASS 80Hz 12dB/oct 2nd order
LOW-PASS 80Hz 24dB/oct 4th order

*DSD FILTER
CUT FREQ. SLOPE
HIGH-PASS 80Hz 6dB/oct 1st order
LOW-PASS 80Hz 12dB/oct 2nd order

So yes bass management is handled differently via DVD-A and SACD. &nbsp;I also have a service manual to this player and will comment further on this topic and others in my addendum.

As for the drawer closing before power down issue, I have asked Denon to comment when they have a chance. &nbsp;Stay tuned...</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the heads up on the tray closing issue. Never noticed it until I tried. Sure enough it stays open!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>GENE, great review. &nbsp;Question though:I &nbsp;have &nbsp;full range fronts with built in powered subwoofers and &nbsp;no &nbsp;seperate sub; this is no problem for DD or DST as the &nbsp;receiver routes the .1 channel from digital inpts to the speakers.I use &nbsp;the ext. in on my receiver for sacd/dvda .I &nbsp;set the 2900 to no &nbsp;sub &nbsp;but then it won't &nbsp;route the analog .1 channel &nbsp;for multichannel sacd/dvda to the mains--the &nbsp;info &nbsp;is just lost . ANY &nbsp;ideas ? &nbsp;THANKS</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Glenn;

Depending on what receiver you are using, some offer the ability to disable sub &nbsp;via EXT 6CH inputs. &nbsp;Check your receiver settings. &nbsp;This should allow the sub info to be recombined with your mains.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
gene : All;

Hot off the presses, my review of the Denon DVD-2900 Universal DVD player. &nbsp;Your feedback is appreciated.

Denon DVD-2900 Review
Gene,

Great review on the Denon 2900. &nbsp;It's refreshing to see there is a source for evaluating higher-end equipment such as this. &nbsp;I have vistited Tweeter, Best Buy, and Circuit City recently since my Kenwood DV-5700 bit the dust after only two years so I am in market for a new DVD player and am strongly considering a Denon (either the 2200 or 2900) since my Denon CD player has been loyally with me for 10 years now.

I was amazed at the extremely limited selection of DVD players &nbsp;available at the three predominant retailers. &nbsp;In addition, their level of knowledge of the equipment they carry was also extremely limited! &nbsp;That's why your WEB site is both valuable and useful and provides a real service for both the consumer and manufacturers.

Keep up the great work and thanks for including the often overlooked &quot;build quality&quot; as a ranking. &nbsp;Finally someone recognizes the importance of this. &nbsp;And lastly, for sharing the response you had from Denon's customer service. &nbsp;Again, another important piece of information.

(BTW, I'm almost certain now I will be purchasing the Denon thanks to your evaluation)

Neal</font>

DenonJeff

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Gene has asked me to check in from time to time when I have the time, which is quite rare these days. &nbsp;It will probably be much easier to message me with questions as I am a member of 3 forum sites and cannot hang on them all.

This is in reference to the 'Open Drawer on power down' with the 2900. &nbsp;I have asked Japan to look into changing this design - many of our previous players did this as well.

Regards,</font>

M

Michael H

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am fortunate enough to have one of the few 2900 in Australia at the moment. The 2900 replaced my Denon 2800 which was a very good player in its own right. Denon know how to make remarkable DVD players!

The stand out for me is the picture quality of the 2900. My player is coupled with a Rank Arena High Definition TV (32 inch). In progressive scan mode the picture quality is faultless. The greatess improvement was with NTSC Region 1 discs. Australia uses a PAL format which gives superior picture quality to NTSC, but this DVD player and a HD TV are making it hard to tell the difference.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi,

Long time watcher first time poster here. &nbsp;I just like to say great review, certainly more useful than the run of the mill! &nbsp;You guys obviously spend considerable time with product to do such a detailed analysis. &nbsp;I now have Denon on my radar screen for a new player, probably either the DVD-2200 or 2900. &nbsp;Thanks.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis