B

bosefriendly

Enthusiast
Denon x3700h with 501 front 701 rear acoustimass 10 with upgraded center. Trying to get more mids to warm the sound a bit. Ideas?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. It would be worth your time to look for speakers that have larger/better woofers. Also find speakers that are voiced for a little more midrange. The other option is to get the audyssey app and use the curve editor to boost the midrange up.

B

bosefriendly

Enthusiast
The AVR has Audessy but I am still experimenting with the eq. Not sure I've seen the curve editor, looks like more research is in my future. Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The AVR has Audessy but I am still experimenting with the eq. Not sure I've seen the curve editor, looks like more research is in my future. Thanks
The curve editor is part of the audyssey app. It’s 20 bucks fwiw.

B

bosefriendly

Enthusiast
Got it. Now just have to wait for the kids to shut their cake holes. Thanks again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want better sound quality.
The only option here is 5.25 inch speaker woofers at a minimum. This means buy new speakers.

You'll be thankful when you did!
Bose 501 has a 10 inch woofer, the 701 an 8 inch woofer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I saw a few references to the 10" woofer, perhaps depended on "version" of 501? (or was it perhaps just a PR?)
That’s my guess. Maybe a different iteration, but seems like a big enough departure to be its own line altogether. Odd…

B

bosefriendly

Enthusiast
The 501 is a 5.25 as mentioned. Working with Audessy app to find the missing range. I would recommend a tablet or laptop with a stylus. Too touchy with fingers on a phone.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The 501 is a 5.25 as mentioned. Working with Audessy app to find the missing range. I would recommend a tablet or laptop with a stylus. Too touchy with fingers on a phone.
Agreed. It takes some patience. There is also “ratbuddysey”. It’s a web based version that’s published by an AVS member. I haven’t tried it but it’s been hailed as very very good. I use the audyssey version in my phone, and it works good. But I DO need my damn glasses…cheaters that is.
I still believe that new speakers are in order. But that’s between you and your wallet. Lol

B

bosefriendly

Enthusiast
I figure if I can get close to the warmth I remember from my old phono when I was a kid with this setup, I'll be ready to upgrade.

B

bosefriendly

Enthusiast
Took some time but the Audessy app was very helpful to establish a base line of balanced sound. Been tweeking it gradually to find what works best. Thanks for the advice guys.

R

runducoff

Audiophyte
Many AV receivers, including the Denon x3700h, offer built-in equalization features. Use the receiver's built-in EQ or room correction system to adjust the midrange frequencies to your preference. Take note that excessive boosting can introduce distortion, so make adjustments incrementally and listen for a balanced sound.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Denon x3700h with 501 front 701 rear acoustimass 10 with upgraded center. Trying to get more mids to warm the sound a bit. Ideas?
If you like those speakers, by all means keep them, but get some different speakers, too. No rules for how many speakers we can hoard. I have speakers I like that don't do everything, mostly due to being too small but I like the sound of them and I use them all regularly. But I also have a monster setup that's more powerful than I am, and a couple other mid-sized systems that are pretty formidable as well for when I am done playing around.

B

bosefriendly

Enthusiast
Gonna beat this horse a little more. Looking to replace the 5.1 with (4) cerwin vega SL-5M, SL-45C for center and a sub from rsl. Anyone with experience on the cv stuff?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had some CVs back in the mid 70s....but with larger woofers, don't remember the model....never thought about getting another set after them, tho.. RSL subs are good value. What's your budget?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis