Denon AVR4000 preout to NuPrime AMG Sta

S

stinga

Enthusiast
Hi guys, I have a question for the brains trust et al

I am considering upgrading my AVR and wonder if I have an issue with the gain of my amps, could you pls advise if there is a problem as I do not understand the correlation between gain and sensitivity? :confused:

X4000 pre out for L/R channels via RCA to 2 NuPrime AMG Sta amps in mono (1 amp per channel)
NuPrime specs are below:
  • Stereo Power: 2 X 130W @ 8 Ohm & 2 X 200W @ 4 Ohm
  • Mono Power: 300W @ 8 Ohm & 320W @ 4 Ohm
  • Rated / Peak Current: 10A / 15A
  • Gain : 26 (stereo) & 52 (mono)
  • Signal to Noise Ratio : 100 dB @ 10W
  • THD+N : 0.006
  • Frequency Response : 10Hz~50K Hz +-0.2dB @ 8 Ohm. 58K Hz @ -3dB
  • Input Impedance: 1M Ohm
  • Sensitivity: 1.2 Vrms @ Stereo; 0.95 Vrms @ Mono
Many thanks
Al

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
26dB of gain is reasonable....and think the avr pre-outs will be fine with them amp.

S

stinga

Enthusiast
Yes, but as I run in mono gain is 52 with a sensitivity of 0.95 Vrms.
I thought sensitivity was the input voltage required for full power as supplied by the pre out but now I am not sure whats what

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought sensitivity was the input voltage required for full power as supplied by the pre out but now I am not sure whats what
You set the sound mode to mono then run dual mono speakers? What kind of content do you listen to?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi guys, I have a question for the brains trust et al

I am considering upgrading my AVR and wonder if I have an issue with the gain of my amps, could you pls advise if there is a problem as I do not understand the correlation between gain and sensitivity? :confused:

X4000 pre out for L/R channels via RCA to 2 NuPrime AMG Sta amps in mono (1 amp per channel)
NuPrime specs are below:
  • Stereo Power: 2 X 130W @ 8 Ohm & 2 X 200W @ 4 Ohm
  • Mono Power: 300W @ 8 Ohm & 320W @ 4 Ohm
  • Rated / Peak Current: 10A / 15A
  • Gain : 26 (stereo) & 52 (mono)
  • Signal to Noise Ratio : 100 dB @ 10W
  • THD+N : 0.006
  • Frequency Response : 10Hz~50K Hz +-0.2dB @ 8 Ohm. 58K Hz @ -3dB
  • Input Impedance: 1M Ohm
  • Sensitivity: 1.2 Vrms @ Stereo; 0.95 Vrms @ Mono
Many thanks
Al
The sensitivity is the input voltage to get the device to full output power. The gain, usually expressed as a voltage ratio, is the output voltage divided by the input voltage.
It is usually expressed in db, which is the log of that ratio.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even then, what do you think the issue might be in your use?

S

stinga

Enthusiast
Hey lads, I run 1 amp in mono for left channel and another in mono for the right channel. There is a switch on the back of the Nuprimes to select either stereo or mono output - 2 channel vs 1 channel if that makes sense.

Lol I'm not even sure if there is an issue as I thought it was ok as 0.95 Vrms would be easily outputted by my AVR. But when I noticed the gain of 52 I wondered if there is the potential for something to go wrong.
2ndly if there is anything I should be aware of when I look to upgrade the AVR?

Its no wonder us Kiwis can't fly :)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If anything you have more than enough input to the amp.....you may need to adjust gain relationship differently than in simple stereo mode. Why are you in bridged mode (if I understand your setup)? Your avr is likely fine up to 4V in any case.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey lads, I run 1 amp in mono for left channel and another in mono for the right channel. There is a switch on the back of the Nuprimes to select either stereo or mono output - 2 channel vs 1 channel if that makes sense.

Lol I'm not even sure if there is an issue as I thought it was ok as 0.95 Vrms would be easily outputted by my AVR. But when I noticed the gain of 52 I wondered if there is the potential for something to go wrong.
2ndly if there is anything I should be aware of when I look to upgrade the AVR?

Its no wonder us Kiwis can't fly :)
You have a wonderful device called a volume control which will vary the gain as you turn the knob, or use the up and down volume buttons on the remote.

S

stinga

Enthusiast
Lol, ok so no issues from an electrical point of view then, most AVRs will have no problem outputting 0.95 Vrms to the NuPrimes and I don't need to be concerned about the gain correct?

My speakers are SF EAlls which take a bit of driving.

Thank you
Al

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol, ok so no issues from an electrical point of view then, most AVRs will have no problem outputting 0.95 Vrms to the NuPrimes and I don't need to be concerned about the gain correct?

My speakers are SF EAlls which take a bit of driving.

Thank you
Al
I don't get much with a search of Sonus Faber EAlls....got a link to some measurements?

S

stinga

Enthusiast
Thats the EA 1, the EA 2 have scanspeak drivers. I'll see if I can find something when I get home from work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis