denon avr3803 vs. hk avr7200?

B

balajisv

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

This is my first post to this list. I'd spent quite a while researching A/V surround receivers, more than a year ago, before I dropped the idea. Thus I'm quite out of touch.

I believe the purists don't like comparing a HK with a Denon, but given a choice between a Denon AVR3803 and HK AVR7200, which is better? The fact that both are seeing price drops due to the impending introduction of their next models (3805 and 7300), makes them an attractive choice.

Any suggestions? Budget of roughly $800-900. Thanks.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>They are both excellent units, the Denon has DTS 96/24 and the hk has HDCD, power wise they are equal, sonically HK has always been good and so has Denon. I would check out the HK's Bass management, the Denon has more than one xover point to choose and I am not sure about the HK. You could not go wrong with either one, take the best deal and the one you like the look of most. At this point that is about the only thing left to help you decide. I have a Denon 2803 that I love, I have owned HK stuff in the past and loved it too. go with your gut feeling about the unit you like best because they are both superb receivers.</font>

B

balajisv

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thank you for your responses. Will try and read a little more on the technical differences between the two and make a decision.

zumbo - that's where I too saw the 7200. I've bought stuff from them before. Great service. &nbsp;Thanks anyway.</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Make sure if you have the chance, you audition both receivers with your speakers. &nbsp;They have a very different sound. &nbsp;I bought a denon with mind and regret it-more bright and crisp, something my speakers emphasize already (not that its a bad receiver, just a bad match).</font>

D

docferdie

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I would also look at other practical aspects such as size, weight and power consumption. I was also intially thinking of getting the 7200 but have seen too many horror stories on audioreview. Even without those I really like how Denon is very detailed in their specifications. I started paying attention to the DACs because of them. I am now holding out for the 3805 as it only costs a few hundred more and you have the security of painless returns at a retailer should you decide to do it.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis