Denon avr-x4000... No audio

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I bought a used avr. Wouldn't turn on. I noticed some connector pins were unplugged, so I opened it up and plugged them in. Turned on, functions, but no sound. Amps click when I turn it on and when I select zone 2 and 3. But no sound. Any ideas? I'd really like to keep the receiver, and use it if possible

D

ddjr

Audioholic
There were screws missing, holding that casing on. And with the unplugged pins, I assume some tech was already in here trying to fix. I'm going in again in hopes of finding something else that needs to be hooked up. Wish me luck. Or, advise me. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
D

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Zone amp 2 clicks when I turn it on and off. Zone Amp 3 makes no click

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Attempting to get this thing up and running for ddjr this morning. If anyone has any 1st hand knowledge in relation to dealing with the described issue please let me know. There’s a number of things I’m going to try from a microprocessor reset to checking the various components with a multi meter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Attempting to get this thing up and running for ddjr this morning. If anyone has any 1st hand knowledge in relation to dealing with the described issue please let me know. There’s a number of things I’m going to try from a microprocessor reset to checking the various components with a multi meter.
Trying three resets is the first thing to do. See if there is any audio from the headphone jack. Is there any audio from the test tones?

That is about as far as you can go. You will not get anywhere poking about with a multimeter.

If there are no test tones, or sound from the headphone jack, then the fault is almost certainly a bad mother board which these units are known for. These units are apparently absolute junk, and widely known for early failure.

So if three resets do not work and there is no audio from the headphone jack, it is not worth bothering with and it needs to be recycled. This receiver is not worth spending money on.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, always ask about this stuff before you buy it. There isn't anything we can help with if you buy first then ask questions after.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Man, always ask about this stuff before you buy it. There isn't anything we can help with if you buy first then ask questions after.
In this case it seems to be a faulty AVR that otherwise is nice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In this case it seems to be a faulty AVR that otherwise is nice.
He has another thread about this and we already rejected a couple of options, plus offered other suggestions. Then all of a sudden he got this one out of the blue. I would have advised against it if he'd told us about it.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I wish I had. I'm almost afraid to tell you where I got it from(shopgoodwill.com) I hope pandaman can fix it. If not, I'll have to wait and get a new avr. No more used for me. Live and learn, I guess.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wish I had. I'm almost afraid to tell you where I got it from(shopgoodwill.com) I hope pandaman can fix it. If not, I'll have to wait and get a new avr. No more used for me. Live and learn, I guess.
I hope so too, I have my fingers crossed for you. I really do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does shopgoodwill.com not have a return option for a dead unit?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And yes, used electronics are always a crapshoot. Even factory refurbs are a gamble, but there's usually at least a 30 day warranty if you buy from an authorized repair center like AC4L. Good speakers tend to last for a very long time if taken care of tho, and you can find some very good ones on the used market. I'm always looking through craigslist for speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well you have learned a hard lesson. That was an unwise purchase. As far as a I can tell a lot of people are sorry they bought this receiver and I bet many others as well.

I have been on the Encompass site, and spent more time then I should on live chat with them. There are no mother boards available for your receiver. You can go to the bank with the fact that all that were produced have been used up long ago, and there are far more blown up receivers of this model than they made parts for.

So my advice is to stick with the receiver you have.

I have never been in favor of receivers and many here know this. They are a lousy contrivance and getting worse. They are far too cheap now for the complexity involved. Also, it is just a dreadful idea to cram all those complex chips in with that huge number of power amps. I know Peng will disagree, but it is insanity.

We need to go back to a simpler time. The vast majority of users would be much better served, with just two powered speakers with DSP driven from the optical output of a TV. That is what would work best in the vast majority of rooms, and be delivered within most people's budgets.

I know this as I have a good two channel AV system in our family room. It has excellent speech and music capabilities. In fact its speech discrimination is way better than the vast majority of centers. All these inferior speakers and amps are quality spoilers in most systems. They add enormously to the risk of failure.

So there are a lot of sore heads over this receiver, and I suspect many others.

The root causes of this debacle are just numerous.

We have ill thought out complex gear rolled out, with far too frequent model changes. All put together far too cheaply.

There are never enough spares produced in the production runs. Because of the design structure and lay out, they are virtually irreparable

The end result is that consumers are stiffed galore with no recompense.

This industry really is in a truly lamentable state, and currently not remotely fit for purpose.

We have a thread about about Science over Religion, but the real issue is marketing over good engineering practice.

The public are much more aware of the shortcomings of the AV scene than members here realize. The public sees complex gear they feel they could not operate. Truly most probably could not. They feel the gear is architecturally a nightmare, and most often they are right about this as well. They feel they will fork out a lot of money and suspect most often correctly, it will soon end up in the recycling center contributing to electronic waste pollution.

Guys, most who would like to enjoy AV in the home on their terms, are out of luck.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
So the verdict is that not only is it DOA but prior to him receiving it some high level geniuses at the Goodwill warehouse decided to play electrical engineer….and by that I mean they more than likely took a dead unit and hack jobbed it to the point that the front panel displays the various inputs, the source selection and volume knob work as does the power button. Those are the 3, THREE things that somewhat function as they should. Years ago I had a friend from my Army days who ended up running a Salvation Army sorting warehouse and on the weekends I would lend him a hand sorting through the dozens of laptops and desktops in various states of disarray, swapping and/or adding RAM, a HDD, maybe a power supply and piece together machines that would at a minimum BIOS POST. Prior to me doing this the “tech guy” they had basically decided that if a laptop or desktop powered on when plugged in it was good to go. Mind you a machine with a blown motherboard will still power up as it will with a litany of other issues. So my theory is that Goodwill runs a similar quality control mandate.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis