Denon AVR-x2300w speaker pop when turning on. Is it normal?

A

Albert Sabedra

Audiophyte
Hey Everyone new here. I just got a new denon receiver avr x2300w upgrading from my old panasonic receiver. The unit is about a month old when i turn it on i hear a pop from my surround speakers. Ive tried switching speakers and separating the power cord away from the speaker wires and it will still make that pop noise. If i turn the unit off and then back on it wont pop. it only makes the noise after its been off for a while. Is this normal with these receivers? Thanks

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Everyone new here. I just got a new denon receiver avr x2300w upgrading from my old panasonic receiver. The unit is about a month old when i turn it on i hear a pop from my surround speakers. Ive tried switching speakers and separating the power cord away from the speaker wires and it will still make that pop noise. If i turn the unit off and then back on it wont pop. it only makes the noise after its been off for a while. Is this normal with these receivers? Thanks
Welcome to AH ! Lots of great experience and help available here. Hope you enjoy your time.

I just upgraded my existing Denon AVR to a new one so I've been super paranoid about every little sound and creature feature while I'm in my easy-exchange period. I have an x4200w. I would say that "no" a speaker pop isn't a normal thing when powering up after a lengthy time off. I also can't say that its a problem either.

I have a flat panel display attached to my Denon and my flat panel's internal speaker (which is supposed to be turned off) pops when I turn the TV on after a couple of hours of being powered off. Is it supposed to? No. Does it do it? Yes. Is it a real problem? : its been doing it for a year so I don't think so.

If there's a setting, condition, or way to make it go away: one of the HT guru's will know and chime in.
Let's see what the brain trust thinks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd call that an issue for exchange for a new unit if you're sure you've tested your cables and speakers to isolate the issue to the avr.

A

Albert Sabedra

Audiophyte
Thank you guys for the reply. Yea so far it doesnt seem to be affecting the performance of the receiver. im gonna try new speaker wire see if that will help if not im going to have to contact denon. thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker wire will have no effect on popping unless it is shorting to the chassis. First, disconnect ALL sources connected to the unit and turn it on, if it does not pop anymore, reconnect each one, one by one to find the device that is causing it. If it still pops then the unit is defective.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you guys for the reply. Yea so far it doesnt seem to be affecting the performance of the receiver. im gonna try new speaker wire see if that will help if not im going to have to contact denon. thanks
Yeah, it should NOT pop.

I don't know about this AVR, but many AVRs have a relay on the speaker circuit. The speakers don't get connected via the relay until after the initial current inrush that tends to cause that pop. So, you would expect to hear the speakers "click" on from the relays, but not "pop".

When you say that it doesn't pop after an off/on cycle, do you at least hear the clicks?

To me, this sounds like the relays may not be clicking off for some reason, then the speakers are connected for that current inrush.

A

Albert Sabedra

Audiophyte
Alright so heres an update. I contacted denon and they told me it was probably the amp warming up. but i could send it in if i want. I kept messing with it, swapping speakers and it would only pop from the surround satellite speakers no matter what channel they were plugged in. So i ordered some Polk audio monitor 40s and the speakers havent made a single pop! its weird that the smaller satellite speakers. Thank you everyone for the help and replies! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis