N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Hi,
So last night while raining a lightning struck somewhere here causing a power surge... and my receiver got fried! Now Im wondering if theres a way I can fix it, it seems like its just the power supply board, but I dont know if I will be able to fins that part and replace that by myself, anyone knows?
As my title says I have a DENON AVR S920W

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you had other gear damaged from the storm and have Home Owners Insurance, you may be able to get some compensation, but the AVR alone will likely not exceed your deductible.
I am far from an electronics expert, but I tend to believe that there are a lot of more sensitive parts than your power supply which are likely to fail before the power supply failed.
Perhaps someone like @PENG or @TLS Guy can address this (at least in the kind of general terms I have attempted to).
Generally, I would say that unless you have a special interest in understanding the design/construction of your AVR (like someone who wants to do some DIY projects),you are probably better off replacing the receiver.
Many of us have had great luck buying reconditioned AVR's through Accessories4Less:
They have the 930 for $240 and the 940 for $270, but the Denon AVR-X2400H for $300 seems like a sweet spot if you can up the budget. If buying refurbished scares you, you can get a new 2400 from them for $350 (with full three year warranty, but not against lightening!;)):
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Unfortunately in-home repair of electronics is not part of our culture any more and I don't believe the AVR's of today are typically built with an eye towards serviceability (nor is there easy access to schematics or an efficient parts stream for consumers). It may be that you could replace the power supply board, but I bet that would cost close to or over $100, which is a lot to gamble unless you have a way to be certain nothing else was damaged.
I assume you have opened the unit up and inspected for visual damage/charring?

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Yes I did opened and I saw the damage, that’s what I’m scared of, paying more for repairs than getting a new one. :confused: I don’t think I’ll be able to buy the part somewhere and do it myself unless.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes I did opened and I saw the damage, that’s what I’m scared of, paying more for repairs than getting a new one. :confused: I don’t think I’ll be able to buy the part somewhere and do it myself unless.
I gather you are on a tight budget. I'd suggest you check your local Craigslist (or "neighborhood" or whatever the newer FaceBook equivalent is).
I know here in Atlanta, $120 will buy a perfectly fine (and sometime pretty advanced) AVR. There are lots of people out there who become convinced that they need to get a Marantz because their Yamaha sounds too warm (or vice versa ... or whatever). That is BS, but if that means you can help them out of a perfectly working AVR, go for it.
If you like, post a link to your local classifieds and we will scan through it to see what bargains are to be found.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
I gather you are on a tight budget. I'd suggest you check your local Craigslist (or "neighborhood" or whatever the newer FaceBook equivalent is).
I know here in Atlanta, $120 will buy a perfectly fine (and sometime pretty advanced) AVR. There are lots of people out there who become convinced that they need to get a Marantz because their Yamaha sounds too warm (or vice versa ... or whatever). That is BS, but if that means you can help them out of a perfectly working AVR, go for it.
If you like, post a link to your local classifieds and we will scan through it to see what bargains are to be found.
So, you saying is not worth it to repair that one?
Anyone have experiences repairing AVRs with PanurgyOEM?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
If nobody else will say it, I'll say it. Its most likely not worth it. The functionality of the newer ones surpasses older ones and the price points keep going lower. Planned obsolesence isn't just a computer phenomenon, it plays in our hobby too.

Some folks think saving $5 bucks is enough to justify it. But, mostly, I think the odds are against you.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Buknekked sums it up nicely, but as a general rule yes!
You can give it a shot, but I know my repair guy charges $100 to diagnose the problem! If I choose to get it repair, that go towards the diagnosis/repair. If he says it would cost more to fix than the unit is worth, I am out $100. I wouldn't take that gamble, I would apply the $100 to a replacement instead.

I'm not sure we want to get him started, but @AcuDefTechGuy will be more than happy to speak of Panurgy!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you don't mind open box or refurbished for $249.99 you can buy a model year newer of the same line at AC4L. I think for that price it'd be a no brainer for me. I myself, along with quite a few others here have gotten equipment from them and have had no issues. They have a good reputation here at Audioholics.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m going to say 70w seems a little low to me. Maybe look at Denon 4400.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I’m going to say 70w seems a little low to me. Maybe look at Denon 4400.
Personally, I consider the 105W AVR-X3400H the sweet spot for $450, With full pre-outs and XT32 with the D&M Audyssey app! But I like it because with the pre-outs and xt32/app it will grow as far as I would care to go! If I knew I would not switch things around, I wouldn't necessarily need that much flexibility!
However, if the 920 did the job for the OP, why pay more? 70W is plenty if he has efficient speakers and/or listens at moderate volumes and/or is not far away from the speakers in a very large room.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3400h/denon-avr-x3400h-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Personally, I consider the 105W AVR-X3400H the sweet spot for $450, With full pre-outs and XT32 with the D&M Audyssey app!
However, if the 920 did the job for the OP, why pay more? 70W is plenty if he has efficient speakers and/or listens at moderate volumes and/or is not far away from the speakers in a very large room.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3400h/denon-avr-x3400h-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
I thought the new klipsch 8000 series was measured less efficient than advertised in the review but maybe I’m remembering it wrong. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally, I consider the 105W AVR-X3400H the sweet spot for $450, With full pre-outs and XT32 with the D&M Audyssey app! But I like it because with the pre-outs and xt32/app it will grow as far as I would care to go! If I knew I would not switch things around, I wouldn't necessarily need that much flexibility!
For sure. That's a great deal for the 3400. I'm getting a "on a budget" vibe tho if op's considering a repair option.

The way I look at it, unless it's legacy equipment or something very expensive that can be fixed at a fraction of buying new, then replacing would generally be the best option in most cases.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I thought the new klipsch 8000 series was measured less efficient than advertised in the review but maybe I’m remembering it wrong. :)
You remember right, but the published efficiency is 98dB! Probably still the case, but in the past, if you read enough fine print you would find that Klipsch uses "in-room" efficiency, which factors in some room gain (I still think it is a bogus thing to do).
However, using the more standard measurement, James measured the efficiency at 92.1dB, which I would still consider quite an efficient speaker. Most of mine sit around 86dB and 100W seems plenty for my purposes (I do generally use a sub, FWIW). An extra 6dB efficiency offsets a lot of watts!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You remember right, but the published efficiency is 98dB! Probably still the case, but in the past, if you read enough fine print you would find that Klipsch uses "in-room" efficiency, which factors in some room gain (I still think it is a bogus thing to do).
Dirty rats! Where's Gene's petition!?

Really though? It's not just Klipsch either, I know. There really does need to be a standard. That's as bad as the 1 ch driven specs everyone all of a sudden started putting out. Useless, but looks impressive to most layfolk just dipping their toes into the pool. These bad practices really do need to be called out and put in check.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dirty rats! Where's Gene's petition!?

Really though? It's not just Klipsch either, I know. There really does need to be a standard. That's as bad as the 1 ch driven specs everyone all of a sudden started putting out. Useless, but looks impressive to most layfolk just dipping their toes into the pool. These bad practices really do need to be called out and put in check.
Yeah, Outlaw Audio is a kind of "Gold Standard"!
They say this about their Outlaw 5000 amp:
Power output: 120 watts RMS x 5 (all channels driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.02% total harmonic distortion, A-weight filter). 180 watts RMS x 5 (all channels driven simultaneously into 4 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.03% total harmonic distortion, A-weight filter)
https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
And they mean it!
Gene tested it and it gave 135 watts into all 5 channels at 0.1% THD!
The ironic thing is I kind of think they are crazy for doing that. I am sure a lot of prospective buyers look at the specs and view it as 120 WPC, when, if they used the same 2 channel standard most companies use, it would be considered a 170WPC amp!
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000/measurements

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That spec is for sensitivity, not efficiency.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Buknekked sums it up nicely, but as a general rule yes!
You can give it a shot, but I know my repair guy charges $100 to diagnose the problem! If I choose to get it repair, that go towards the diagnosis/repair. If he says it would cost more to fix than the unit is worth, I am out $100. I wouldn't take that gamble, I would apply the $100 to a replacement instead.

I'm not sure we want to get him started, but @AcuDefTechGuy will be more than happy to speak of Panurgy!
And, to think people didn't like to pay the $9.95 estimate charge when I started at the stereo store in 1978.......

Had one woman get really mad and argumentative- at one point, she grabbed her receiver and said "You ain't keepin' MY stereo, mutha-effah!".

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
sorry but, Im totally lost :eek:o_O
Im still not sure if is worth it to repair my receiver or get a new one, i paid like 500 bucks for that one two or three years back, in case that i decide to buy a new one my budget will be around the same, a DENON or Yamaha, still not sure.
But, if repairing that one cost me around 200 ill go and repair it.

Also, to be considered my speakers:
POLK AUDIO
S55 FR/FL Towers
S35 Center channel
S15 R/L Sorround
SVS PB2000 Sub

What do you guys recomend?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis