Denon AVR-A1H what a Beast

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I finally got my Denon AVR-A1H receiver and needed two ppl to carry her to my apt from UPS truck. I am pretty amazed how well this beast is made and it's truly a work of art . I got the same feeling when I got my Meridian 861 back in the mid 90s but the ease of use is uncanny compare to DOS operated Meridian. I am still enjoying & learning more things about it . My next venture is to get into Dirac. I hate the idea to purchase Dirac which should have been included.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats. I bet the A1H is an awesome AVR. Hope you bought it brand new.

Just don't believe the AVR haters like TLS Guy who will roll their eyes because you bought an AVR. :D

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Congrats. I bet the A1H is an awesome AVR. Hope you bought it brand new.

Just don't believe the AVR haters like TLS Guy who will roll their eyes because you bought an AVR. :D
Thank you . I am very pleased with the sound it does an amazing job with my Golden Ear Triton1s. I careless what others think . Yes I bought it brand new.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pics or it didn't happen :) Especially the two person carry :) Congrats! Curious, will you forgo external amps or not?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I finally got my Denon AVR-A1H receiver and needed two ppl to carry her to my apt from UPS truck. I am pretty amazed how well this beast is made and it's truly a work of art . I got the same feeling when I got my Meridian 861 back in the mid 90s but the ease of use is uncanny compare to DOS operated Meridian. I am still enjoying & learning more things about it . My next venture is to get into Dirac. I hate the idea to purchase Dirac which should have been included.
Congratulations I love my old Denon AVR. It should provide you with years of great listening enjoy!

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Congratulations I love my old Denon AVR. It should provide you with years of great listening enjoy!
And no one person can carry the 70 pound receiver by themselves a few flights of stairs :oops:

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
And no one person can carry the 70 pound receiver by themselves a few flights of stairs :oops:
When I had the Triton 1s I carried that up my stairs in my townhome at the time, it was a very annoying curved flight of stairs. It can be done. I nearly threw out my back with my peloton bike though.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Pics or it didn't happen :) Especially the two person carry :) Congrats! Curious, will you forgo external amps or not?
I would suggest he pairs the heavy giant A1H with a tiny two channel buckeye amp (weighs just a few lbs) if he uses the beast for two channel listening with real 4 ohm speakers.

1694262051916.jpeg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would suggest he pairs the heavy giant A1H with a tiny two channel buckeye amp (weighs just a few lbs) if he uses the beast for two channel listening with real 4 ohm speakers.
Did ASR or AH measure the A1H?

I figured the A1H is like my old AVR-5308 which outputs 339W x 2CH into 4 ohms. Or at least better than the X8500 which outputs 260W x 2CH 4 ohms.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I figured the A1H is like my old AVR-5308 which outputs 339W x 2CH into 4 ohms. Or at least better than the X8500 which outputs 260W x 2CH 4 ohms.
ASR has not reviewed it. The A110 and A1H were measured by Audiovision.de. Not as powerful as your 5308 but more powerful than the 8500 and the RX-A8A.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ASR has not reviewed it. The A110 and A1H were measured by Audiovision.de. Not as powerful as your 5308 but more powerful than the 8500 and the RX-A8A.
So the A1H is very powerful. Why would he need an external amp?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So the A1H is very powerful. Why would he need an external amp?
Only if he uses it with real 4 ohm full range speakers. Even then, it is not a must, it depends on his listening habits, distance, among other things. The A1H's preamp/dac is excellent, so it doesn't hurt to pair it with amps that would perform almost as good on the test bench. I am also half joking.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Only if he uses it with real 4 ohm full range speakers. Even then, it is not a must, it depends on his listening habits, distance, among other things. The A1H's preamp/dac is excellent, so it doesn't hurt to pair it with amps that would perform almost as good on the test bench. I am also half joking.
Ah. Yeah never “hurts”. But probably doesn’t need it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What kind of difference over the 8500 did the two Denons have?

I was just being facetious about the external amps....sort of :)

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic

I would be very surprised if the A1H couldn't handle nominal 4 ohm speakers - even with impedance minima down at 2 ohm or less...

It's the flagship beast... and it's predecessors could all do it without too much trouble.

The X4800 would have trouble with such speakers... the X6700 (and new X6800... ) well, I would want to see some measurements - but the A1H.... nah it won't have any trouble!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What kind of difference over the 8500 did the two Denons have?

I was just being facetious about the external amps....sort of :)
I can only quote the tests done by Audiovision.de (German), while they don't tell us about how they test, I think it is still useful for comparison purposes, so here are the numbers:

AVC-X8500H....................... Stereo, 260 W (4 ohm, 1 kHz Sine), 5 channel driven 181 W 4 ohms

AVC-A110............................Stereo, 277 W, 5 channel driven, 198 W, 4 ohms

AVC-A1H............................. Stereo, 287 W, 5 channel driven, 204 W, 4 ohms, 7 channel driven, 153 W, 6 ohms

The AVC-A1H's numbers were not published but you can buy the test report, that is not available for us NA readers, but an ASR member bought it (sort of for me..).

So you can see that for real world use, they are all the same, that is, all within less than 1 dB difference. It also mean for real world use, they are as powerful, in not more so, than many of the external power amps rated 150 to 180 W 8 ohms, unless the user crank it up even when listening to party music via 4 ohm speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis