Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Receiver First Look

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, that is a nice surprise even though for some people it is not a deciding factor.

This is probably the first time a manufacturer did not mention such an often sought feature in its feature/specs list. They did so with the 1910 through 4810 and yet never mention a word about it in the 1911 through 4311 in the product sheet or the manual.
I found the ABT VRS chip in my AVR-1910 to do a really good job of deinterlacing/upscaling the picture from my old standard dvd player, it is definitely something you would want if you need your receiver to upscale something.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I found the ABT VRS chip in my AVR-1910 to do a really good job of deinterlacing/upscaling the picture from my old standard dvd player, it is definitely something you would want if you need your receiver to upscale something.
I agree with you but in my case I have no such need as all my players can do a good job upscaling, to the point I notice no difference between any of them and the TV itself. I basically come to the conclusion that the chip itself makes insignificant difference when compared to the quality of the transfer itself. That's just my conclusion based on my own experience, using a relatively small 50" screen.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you but in my case I have no such need as all my players can do a good job upscaling, to the point I notice no difference between any of them and the TV itself. I basically come to the conclusion that the chip itself makes insignificant difference when compared to the quality of the transfer itself. That's just my conclusion based on my own experience, using a relatively small 50" screen.
I just bought a Sony BDP-S370 blu ray player, so I'll do some more comparisions when I get it to see how well the player upscales vs. the receiver.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just bought a Sony BDP-S370 blu ray player, so I'll do some more comparisions when I get it to see how well the player upscales vs. the receiver.
Thanks again, but do me a favor, do an A/B with your wife (or anyone who is not familiar with the topic) and ask him/her which one looks better. Obviously to be meaningful the viewer has to come up with a consistent answer/choice multiple times. The 370 is an entry level model but according to some reviews the 470 and 570 are quite good, probably comparable to the PS3.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
I'm taking one of these babies home tonight to upgrade my living room Onkyo SR875.

-Robert

F

farout

Audioholic Intern
farout here

all the best to all members in the new year. this product is a dream come true for me. i have the avr 4800 for several years now and i just love it. i put out 2200.00 for that unit at one time. cant be beat for surround THX sound. this new dennon product is so up to date with all the features you need for todays home theater set ups. i would be the type of person to invest for such a product. it is a big investment but it is for years of enjoyment. thanks for thr write up on the beast. beautiful beast. farout

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Let me shake my Piggy Bank here... I want one, maybe it will be a collector's item as well.
DPS

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
The AVR-A100 is missing almost nothing in its feature set. It has nine internal amps with discrete mono amp construction. The 41lbs AVR-A100 sports 140 watts per channel and is rated to drive 4 ohm speakers. These are paired with 11.2 channel analogue audio outputs seven (six on the back, one on the front) HDMI 1.4a inputs that are 3D, ARC, and CEC enabled with two outputs, and supports up to three zones of audio (can power them as well) and two zones of video (Zone 2 is relegated to a Composite connection only). There is support for all the latest HD audio formats, all the latest DSPs, the best room correction, and dual subwoofer support. Its got Anchor Bay VRS video processing on board which will upconvert all your video sources to 1080p along with video calibration adjustments and GUI overlay. While $2500 seems like a chunk of change, it really isn't considering the cutting edge nature of this product.

Discuss "Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.
Looks like my DREAM AVR -- am SAVING now...

We are discussing Sound Quality regarding most everything humanly possible to Hear at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1318479

Come and put your 2 Cents in, and tell us how this Denon AVR-A100 SOUNDS !!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis