Denon AVR- 687.. cheap pick up!

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
What do you guys think of Denon's AVR-687? I just picked it up off CraigsList for $20.. couldn't pass it up.

I'm just starting a stereo/5.1 set up and thought it would be a good start. Looks like it got good reviews on Amazon, apart from the confusing setup and manual.

I'm looking to get some speakers for it, start with 2.0/2.1 and then upgrade to 5.1 later on. Will be hooking up to a DVD player for movies and CDs and to my TV. I know no HDMI connections, but I'm not too interested in video quality for the moment..

Think this is a good AVR?? Or should I look for something else to start my system?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What do you guys think of Denon's AVR-687? I just picked it up off CraigsList for $20.. couldn't pass it up.
Think this is a good AVR?? Or should I look for something else to start my system?
No. You got ripped off for $20.

I hope you got the remote.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
As long as everything works and you got the manual & remote, it should be fine.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
I did get the remote... no manual though. Was able to look it up and download it online.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
I disagree. Heck, it's $20 for a 7.1 receiver! If it works, that's not bad at all.

Agreed - and the calibration microphone.

EDIT: I see that you got the remote - cool! Did you get the mic?
Yes got the remote, though he did say if I had any trouble with the remote to get him a call... not sure why or what he could do about it, but am wondering if it doesn't work properly..
I didn't get the calibration microphone... I might shoot him a text to see if he still has it (doubt it). Is this something I can find online? Is it a generic microphone or is specific to this unit? I'll be running on 2.1 for awhile so I don't think this is something I need right away...correct me if I'm wrong though

You couldn't tell?

I thought you were joking when you asked if $20 was a bad deal for that unit.
No, wasn't sure. Only $20 (why I got it) but money down the drain is money down the drain! I have no need for a $20 paper weight.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
From what I've read on here, the microphones aren't generic and you should try to get the Denon mic. If it were me and I couldn't find one for cheap, I'd probably use a PC mic or the like and see how well I liked the results.

The auto calibration sets speaker levels and distances, and it applies some equalization to try and get a flatter frequency response (to adjust for impacts due to your system and your room). It is valuable for 2.1, too. Some people here love it (myself included), while others don't. I found it to make a very noticeable and positive improvement on how my NHTs sounded in my room. I have a Pioneer that uses MCAAC, which is different than what your Denon uses.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
From what I've read on here, the microphones aren't generic and you should try to get the Denon mic. If it were me and I couldn't find one for cheap, I'd probably use a PC mic or the like and see how well I liked the results.

The auto calibration sets speaker levels and distances, and it applies some equalization to try and get a flatter frequency response (to adjust for impacts due to your system and your room). It is valuable for 2.1, too. Some people here love it (myself included), while others don't. I found it to make a very noticeable and positive improvement on how my NHTs sounded in my room. I have a Pioneer that uses MCAAC, which is different than what your Denon uses.
Ok thanks, I will give that a try if I can't get the original microphone.

This has Zone 2 capabilities... is it possible to play the same source through the zone 1 speakers and zone 2 speakers? I would like to connect speakers in a separate room but would like to just play the same thing from both sets, since I'll live in a small apartment.

EDIT: I would be using a 2.1 setup in Zone 1 and 2.0 in Zone 2

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This has Zone 2 capabilities... is it possible to play the same source through the zone 1 speakers and zone 2 speakers? I would like to connect speakers in a separate room but would like to just play the same thing from both sets, since I'll live in a small apartment.
I'd be surprised if it couldn't. I didn't read your whole manual, but I'm guessing it's in there somewhere. It's also very easy to try it, since you have the receiver. :) If you can't, you could also hook up your second pair of speakers to the "B" speaker terminals - but you wouldn't be able to control the volume separately between the rooms with the receiver with that (but you can if you use Zone 2).

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
It's also very easy to try it, since you have the receiver. :)
I haven't gotten any speakers for it yet, waiting till I move, to figure out how much spending room I have on them :). I'd like to buy a second pair if I knew I had to flexibility to play the same thing in both zones. I'll look through the manual again and see if it mentions it.

If you can't, you could also hook up your second pair of speakers to the "B" speaker terminals - but you wouldn't be able to control the volume separately between the rooms with the receiver with that (but you can if you use Zone 2).
Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between the "A" and "B" terminals. Don't they both have a L & R out? What are they used for?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between the "A" and "B" terminals. Don't they both have a L & R out? What are they used for?
The "A" and "B" speaker terminals will play the same material at the same volume level. It allows you to hook up two pairs of speakers, either both in your main listening room, or have a pair in two different rooms. Not all receivers have that capability, but a number of them do.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
The "A" and "B" speaker terminals will play the same material at the same volume level. It allows you to hook up two pairs of speakers, either both in your main listening room, or have a pair in two different rooms. Not all receivers have that capability, but a number of them do.
Ah ha, makes sense. thanks for your help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis