U

Unregistered

I heard Denon is about to release a whopper of a new receiver ( the Denon AVR-5805 ) that should surpass anything on the market for the next couple of years to come. Anyone know the features and price of the AVR-5805?

When will Audioholics be getting a sample of the Denon AVR-5805 to review ? :)

A

Audio1

Audioholic Intern
I heard that the new flagship model was not too far off as well, but as of yet I have not learned any specifics. I will talk to a friend of mine that recently attended a Denon meeting and see what he may know.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There should be some news of this receiver at Cedia. Stay tuned...

B

Buzios

Audiophyte
Denon 5805

I was inquiring about this at Tweeter and they don't have it in their system as yet so they can't estimate availability. The salesman did say that equipment starts showing up 3 months ahead of delivery so this maybe 3 months out.

U

Unregistered

The King Of Kings

I attended the Denon Conference and the 5805 is the end of the war in high end recievers. I have seen and heard it, dual 5.1 discrete systems capable, or a 5.1 with all channels bi amped. video upconversion on zones 1, 2 , and video switching for zones 1,2,3, and 4. 12 source, discrete 4 zone reciever with 170 watts per channel

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Unregistered, seems like you let the cat out of the bag. Shame on you :p

U

Unregistered

Nothing that isn't already online..........

CNET editor's preview

Reviewed by David Katzmaier
Edited by John P. Falcone
Reviewed July 15, 2004

User rating:
How would you rate this product?

We've never seen anything quite like the Denon AVR-5805. The latest iteration of the company's "reference-quality" 5800 line, this massive component's sole job is to switch between your components and amplify the audio. For that, the company will ask you to fork over a cool $6,000 in November, when this giant sags the shelves at your local high-end electronics boutique.

Upside: The AVR-5805 is the world's first receiver with 10 built-in amplifiers, which can provide up to 16 channels of sound. Until the advent of Dolby Digital 16.1, using all those channels means doubling up the amplification in the main room and/or sending surround sound to multiple rooms from multiple sources in the main room. Denon was deliberately vague on the rest of the receiver's specs (watts per channel, number of inputs), but we'll have more info after the CEDIA show in September. That picture's no mistake though; this monster is a full 12 inches tall.

Downside: It's huge and expensive. This thing will cost more to ship than most receivers cost to buy. Aside from those obvious issues, most home-theater aficionados in this rarefied price bracket prefer to invest in separates, that is, a dedicated preamp/processor plus a multichannel amplifier or even a separate amp for each channel.

Outlook: Downsides considered, the AVR-5805 is pointed toward a tiny segment of the market. This is a technology statement more than a consumer product, so don't hold your breath for a full CNET review. We'll leave that to our friends at Robb Report Home Entertainment. Those of us without such deep pockets will have to settle for Denon's expanded lineup of less audacious--but still feature-packed--A/V receivers.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Just be patient. When the time is right we will unleash all the details and provide the most detailed coverage on this product.

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
I heard Denon is about to release a whopper of a new receiver ( the Denon AVR-5805 ) that should surpass anything on the market for the next couple of years to come.

I've been waiting for the new Denon so I could compare it against the
Onkyo TX-NR1000. It looks like the 5805 falls short in some areas and gives too much in others.
Who needs 16 channels and 10 amplifiers? Sorry but 8 speakers for 7.1 is PLENTY for me. The Onkyo offers a modular design, support for digital radio and lots for future proofing

Mike

The Denon AVR-5805 was really misnamed. It's so much different than the AVR-5803 that it should have its own series designation (like a 6805 or something.) For detailed info on this new receiver:

This thing is truly a powerhouse and a boon for those looking to have two 5.1 systems with a single unit (all three of you!) What we like is that this unit sets more standards and is sure to create additional quality in competing products. We just hope no one else sees the need for dual 5.1.

By the way, the AVR-5805's 10 amplifiers can be biamped for all of the main 5 channels using the setup menu - no more Zone 2, level setting or anything - it does it all for you. We'd like to think it was done as a result of our "nagging", but the Denon guys are pretty darn sharp on their own.

R

Ralf

(Almost) perfect video features

I am impressed by the digital video (HDMI/DVI) switching, at a time when most receiver vendors only switch analog (component) video. That said, it's too bad that the upconvert circuitry (including the Faroudja scaler)
only upconverts to the component output and not to HDMI/DVI.

That means if you have a fixed pixel display (e.*. plasma) with a digital input you still need to also run an analog video path to it, and you can't use the AVR-5805 to do all your video switching.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis