Denon AVR-5700 / SACD input issues

T

TSC-17

Audiophyte
I have a Denon AVR-5700 receiver, and just purchased a Marantz D6500 SACD player. I am losing bass output on any SACD or DVD-A source material. Every other format (CD, DTS, etc) through analog or digital coax input works fine. I checked the bass output of the DVD player by plugging it directly into the sub, and get a strong signal (although can't keep it like this because I have no volume control).

I have tried every configuration of speaker size, bass output, etc, and it has not made a difference. If I crank up the volume on the sub all the way, I get a decent amount of bass, but (a) not nearly as much as DTS, and (b) I shouldn't have to manually adjust the gain on the subwoofer every time I want to play SACD or DVD-A.

I have contacted Denon/Marantz, and they are not quite sure. The EXT input for the SACD player output has no control on the receiver...just a straight path.

Has anybody with an older 5700 hooked up a SACD player? If so, any problems with bass output.

Or...does anybody else have suggestions?

I would think that if it were a limitation of the receiver, then there has to be an outfit somewhere that I could send my receiver to to have modifications made (?)

Thanks in advance...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Very few receivers apply their bass management features to the 5.1 analog inputs. As Denon said, it is essentially a straight path into the amps.

Therefore, your sacd or dvd-a player must have bass management capabilities and you need to make your bass adjustments in the player. If the player's bass managment is non existent or insufficient, many people turn to solutions such as the ICBM from Outlaw Audio. Such a device is connected between the sacd player and the analog inputs on the receiver and allows you to tailor the bass response and eq to your liking.

T

TSC-17

Audiophyte
I have tried working with the bass management in the player itself, but was unable to achieve any gains.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis