Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Greetings . ..

It's been a while since I've been on here . . . but here I am .. . & appreciate anyone taking the time to respond.

My Denon AVR 4311ci decided to just quit, retire, die . . . don't really know.

When I hit the power/standby button . . . the surround light-ring blinks 8 times (green) & then goes solid green . . but there's absolutely zero output . .. not even on the unit's display . . .

Side note: I tried the reset option (holding down the "Standard & DSP Simulatinon" buttons while hitting the power . . & NADA!!! . . .

Anyway, any thoughts that anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated . . .

THX

Steve

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Greetings . ..

It's been a while since I've been on here . . . but here I am .. . & appreciate anyone taking the time to respond.

When I hit the power/standby button . . . the surround light-ring blinks 8 times (green) & then goes solid green . . but there's absolutely zero output . .. not even on the unit's display . . .

Side note: I tried the reset option (holding down the "Standard & DSP Simulatinon" buttons while hitting the power . . & NADA!!! . . .

Anyway, any thoughts that anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated . . .

THX

Steve
If the display is not even lighting up, it sounds as if there is a major power failure.

That is a 10 year old receiver, so not really worth repair, even if parts are available, which more than likely they are not.

So it is probably time to recycle and replace.

Unfortunately this is not a good time to have to replace equipment.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
TLS Guy . . . thx for your reply . . . even though it really saddens me to hear that . .. I appreciate you taking the time . . .

highfigh

highfigh

Greetings . ..

THX

Steve
Denon AVR light flashes denote different things- could be power supply failure, or amplifier and IIRC they have another to show that the processor failed. Contact Denon to ask for info on this.

Where are you located?

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Highfigh,
Thx I will . . . & I'm located in Tucson Az.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Greetings . ..

THX

Steve
Not that it would help much but by entering the errors checking mode, you can get an idea of whether the unit faulted on short circuit, thermal overload, or a DC fault etc.

You can do the follow to enter that mode:

1633795253977.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Highfigh,
Thx I will . . . & I'm located in Tucson Az.
I have done a bit more checking for you on this fault. It is a known issue, and some of these units failed a lot sooner than yours.

Apparently if you open the unit, you will find a 10 amp fuse blown connecting F1506 & F1507. Top fuse located slightly above where 110 power enters unit.

If you replace that fuse, though, the next time you turn the unit on, you will be greeted by a pop and smoke!

I'm afraid that is the end of that unit. What I have found out certainly makes repair an unwise investment. It seems those units have had a somewhat checkered career.

I am gong to keep harping on this, that unreliability of consumer home electronics is a serious issue and needs to improve drastically. In addition units need to be designed and built for ease of service, with accurate diagnostic codes easily accessible.

What we have at the moment is a massive disgrace, and contributing to world wide pollution, on a literally industrial scale.

We need a new ground up design approach right across the board. May be the current production difficulties are an opportunity to reset, and start deigning and building units in the western democracies, where there can be more control throughout the design and manufacturing process. We need to stop this continues descent into Bedlam now!

highfigh

highfigh

I have done a bit more checking for you on this fault. It is a known issue, and some of these units failed a lot sooner than yours.

Apparently if you open the unit, you will find a 10 amp fuse blown connecting F1506 & F1507. Top fuse located slightly above where 110 power enters unit.

If you replace that fuse, though, the next time you turn the unit on, you will be greeted by a pop and smoke!

I'm afraid that is the end of that unit. What I have found out certainly makes repair an unwise investment. It seems those units have had a somewhat checkered career.

I am gong to keep harping on this, that unreliability of consumer home electronics is a serious issue and needs to improve drastically. In addition units need to be designed and built for ease of service, with accurate diagnostic codes easily accessible.

What we have at the moment is a massive disgrace, and contributing to world wide pollution, on a literally industrial scale.
We need to pick our battles, at the moment- the fallout from the shutdown is worse than the design problem and replacement equipment is extremely hard to find. I agree that the designs leave much to be desired, but they design and build for the mass market, not people who will keep their equipment forever. Blame those who just had to get the best price, regardless of quality, not the manufacturers. Those of us in the business tried to get people to understand, but they wouldn't listen bought what they wanted and drove off in their imported cars with "Buy Union" bumper stickers.

Bottom line, this is repairable, but the trick is in finding a place that has qualified people. Fortunately, I know of one here in the MKE area and they're doing out of warranty service for just about every AV retailer or those who know about them. I had them repair a Denon stereo receiver (one of the CI models) A) because they can, B because nobody offers anything with all of the features and performance of the existing one and C) because they're local & I have known them for many years.

I'll call and ask about this model and the apparent problem, to find out if they have seen it, as well as whether the fault was similar among the affected pieces.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis