Denon AVR-4308CI First Look

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I couldn't believe I plugged it in the wrong place, it's okay now.

G

Gorschek

Audiophyte
4308 as a processor only

Hello.

I have a question or two...
I am thinking about buying the 4308 (I have a 4306). I like the new formats and have a chance to upgrade now. I was considering buying the A1HD mean denon pre-amp but 6K is a little rich. I have an external amp (Earthquake cinenova grande 300W@8ohm) driving my B&W 803Ds and HTM2 center. Now, I like denon since you get all the bells and whistles for a reasonable sum, but the hifi sound is not the best. Therefore I am considering a good 2ch amp with HT passthrough for hifi. My question is is it possible to get e.g. radio, mp3 etc out of the 4308 to my 2ch amp as a raw analog signal? My point is that I would like to use e.g. the turner etc from the denon...

One more thing, in the post here there is a lot of things, but no one has talked about the sound quality of the 4308 in terms of it being used as a processor (not using its amp), anyone?

Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello.

but the hifi sound is not the best. Therefore I am considering a good 2ch amp with HT passthrough for hifi. My question is is it possible to get e.g. radio, mp3 etc out of the 4308 to my 2ch amp as a raw analog signal? My point is that I would like to use e.g. the turner etc from the denon...

One more thing, in the post here there is a lot of things, but no one has talked about the sound quality of the 4308 in terms of it being used as a processor (not using its amp), anyone?

Thanks.
I am not sure what your first question is but I do believe that in a level matched blind listening test it will be tough for anyone to tell the difference between the 4308 and and a more expensive separate system that is designed to sound neutral, as long as the 4308 is used within it's power limit.

People will talk about the warm sound, harsh sound, neutral sound stuff, but you are going to have to find out for yourself if you can hear or feel the difference. They may be real to some gifted individuals, and simply Placebo effects to others. I went to enough live concerts to know that the real thing typically do not sound all that warm and I personally don't believe in any artificially created (e.g. Sunfire) "warm" sound characteristics. Such artificial warm sounding characteristics may be soothing to our brains but I much rather prefer the real thing. If you do like that "warm", or "colored" sound then I suggest you stay away from the Denon. I have listened to quite a few nice sounding receivers made by Harman Kardon, Arcam, NAD, B&K, Yamaha and even Sony; I would say they all sounded rather neutral. Years ago, every time after I went to live classical concerts I could not stand my Stereo system for at least a week, because they sounded so different. This is no longer the case as today's mid range audio systems do sound close enough to the real thing. I still enjoy my separate system but I cannot honesty tell you they sound that much better than my 4308 based HT system.

B

bsp.co.usa

Audiophyte
4308 still goin strong - good reference

Are very satisfied 4308 owner since 2009. Still one of the only receivers which plays a concert piano sound just like a life ...
Enhanced set with DENON 3930 for SACD via denon link 3rd generation.
For me this combination is still the best in market!
My set is in a 14 inch high cabinet, and the heat generation is fine, although i stripped the back-end and leave the front door open, while playing.
Tip: especially worthwhile if you are new on the market, as second hand, if you don't want to fork out for a better denon 4311 ;)

==================
4308CI 7.1
3930CI
speakers:
2x Pioneer SX2 air studio with 100khz tweeters - via bi-amp
5.1 Sony Pascal

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis