Denon avr 4306 from 2006, no audio through hdmi

N

nsn

Audiophyte
I recently purchased a denon avr 3406 from facebook marketplace without a remote, i got it hooked up for hdmi in audio to play a 7.1 signal, it worked for a while then randomly stopped on it's own while the amplifier was on, made no sense, so i went though all the setting and made sure everything was right, still no luck, i even changed out all the wires for hdmi to make sure it wasn't that, nothing, anyone who has experience with these have any idea of what could be causing the problem?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Buying through a social network site marketplace, if you have no feedback score on the seller, is a risky business. If you can't return the AVR for refund, you're screwed.

It might cost you more than you paid for it to get it repaired. Parts for more than 15 year old electronics are no longer available.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently purchased a denon avr 3406 from facebook marketplace without a remote, i got it hooked up for hdmi in audio to play a 7.1 signal, it worked for a while then randomly stopped on it's own while the amplifier was on, made no sense, so i went though all the setting and made sure everything was right, still no luck, i even changed out all the wires for hdmi to make sure it wasn't that, nothing, anyone who has experience with these have any idea of what could be causing the problem?
That was a really unwise purchase, and it is going to be very hard to help you.

My first guess is that this is a digital rights management issue. That is a receiver from 2006. So that is HDMI version 1.3. Now HDMI versions are theoretically backward compatible, but the associated HDCP codes may not be, especially the repetitive HDCP handshakes that were not around when that receiver was marketed. So it could be that your source thinks you are a pirate. But there are many other possibilities.

It is a huge problem that you don't have a remote as it is very hard to set up a receiver correctly without a remote. I have done an extensive research to see if I can find an aftermarket remote for you, but failed.

So, I think you are finding out why this unit was for sale.

Now some questions.

Do different sources play via HDMI, or is it source specific?

Do analog source play normally, or is this just limited to HDMI?

I would try a soft reset, which means unplugging the unit and then pressing the on/off button at least 30 times to fully discharge caps.

Since you don't have a remote, I am reluctant to recommend a hard reset, as you have no remote.

However of all else fails try at least three hard resets.

If none of this is successful, then this unit is destined for the recycling center.

I should point out that this unit is beyond its expected life span. Usual expected life span is 14 years plus or minus a couple of years.

N

nsn

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't tried anything analog yet but i will, i will most likely have to scrap it, i will try a few thing before i do, if the analog works i may just use it for stereo use.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't need a remote for a full microprocessor/factory reset, and that would be my first step on a used unit to clear out previous owner settings.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Don't need a remote for a full microprocessor/factory reset, and that would be my first step on a used unit to clear out previous owner settings.
Yes, you can do it, but I would hate to set up an AVR from scratch from the front panel with no remote.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, you can do it, but I would hate to set up an AVR from scratch from the front panel with no remote.
Older avrs aren't so bad as long as you have a good view of the front panel. Newer ones, particularly Marantz with the porthole thing, meh.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Ahh I got a broken avr I haven’t tossed yet it won’t stay on long enough to factory reset. Hopefully op has better luck. I probably should get rid of it .
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't tried anything analog yet but i will, i will most likely have to scrap it, i will try a few thing before i do, if the analog works i may just use it for stereo use.
ouch yeah my used 2016 one died and my older one still runs seems I got a junk used avr . Also

N

nsn

Audiophyte
I feel like there is a way to get it working again but I don't have the experience with these to work out how. These are the settings ive applied when it worked: video in-digital assign- dvd- hdmi 1. This then automatically selects audio in as hdmi 1, but i double check anyways. In the audio input section, the hdmi is set to amp but shows no signal on both analog and ext.in. I then exit out and press auto, the receiver then changes it signal to a 7.1 as i am feeding a hdmi cable from my xbox. It also changes to a 5.1 when changed on the xbox, which means it does a good job of decoding and changing. But out of the blue i had the amplifier running and all connected but I hadn't played any sound through it for some time, when i came back to turn up the volume nothing came out of the speakers, nothing until i got up to 0db, which was a small scratching sound from the speakers, which i guessed was just from the gain. So i decided to go about and try different hdmi inputs, out of the 3 and also assigned different sources as hdmi both video and audio but i had no luck, the only time i had a bit of luck was when i first got it and my hand accidentally hit the side of the amplifier ,with the same settings on and it started working, but then it stopped after long use. So i have a feeling something inside is not working like is should do, like a mechanical problem or maybe a wire is detached, saying that i have opened the case and checked all the connections. I did see some gear system within the unit not sure what is does though, maybe might be the problem maybe not?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I feel like there is a way to get it working again but I don't have the experience with these to work out how. These are the settings ive applied when it worked: video in-digital assign- dvd- hdmi 1. This then automatically selects audio in as hdmi 1, but i double check anyways. In the audio input section, the hdmi is set to amp but shows no signal on both analog and ext.in. I then exit out and press auto, the receiver then changes it signal to a 7.1 as i am feeding a hdmi cable from my xbox. It also changes to a 5.1 when changed on the xbox, which means it does a good job of decoding and changing. But out of the blue i had the amplifier running and all connected but I hadn't played any sound through it for some time, when i came back to turn up the volume nothing came out of the speakers, nothing until i got up to 0db, which was a small scratching sound from the speakers, which i guessed was just from the gain. So i decided to go about and try different hdmi inputs, out of the 3 and also assigned different sources as hdmi both video and audio but i had no luck, the only time i had a bit of luck was when i first got it and my hand accidentally hit the side of the amplifier ,with the same settings on and it started working, but then it stopped after long use. So i have a feeling something inside is not working like is should do, like a mechanical problem or maybe a wire is detached, saying that i have opened the case and checked all the connections. I did see some gear system within the unit not sure what is does though, maybe might be the problem maybe not?
After that description I have an idea what is wrong with it.

The problem I think is in the speaker relay or the timer circuit that drives it.

To prevent a loud turn on thump to the speakers, the speakers are disconnected from the amp outputs until the circuits stabilize.
This is controlled by what is known as an LM timer circuit. The delay is set by the value of capacitors connected to the LM timer chip.

The problem could be in the LM chip or more likely the caps due to age, or the relay could have failed.

highfigh

highfigh

Not necessary, assuming it works as it should. Many Denon AVRs could be set up using the gui when the IP address was entered in the search bar of a computer. This was unavailable for awhile, but it was returned several years ago. The configuration could be adjusted, saved and if a hard reset was necessary, reloaded. I haven't used many Marantz AVRs, but Yamaha can be set up and controlled via the gui, too.

OTOH, ANY universal remote can control this.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The 3406 is only HDMI 1.1. Unless the XBOX is an old XBOX 360, you are f#%ked. The 3406 does not support lossless multichannel audio over HDMI. It supported MLP and DSD over DENON LINK. It supports 1080p video over HDMI but newer HDCP specced devices may not work at all. The best you will get over HDMI here is lossy Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Lossless multichannel audio over HDMI was not supported until HDMI 1.3.

The “Auto” switching is the sound mode being switched. It can go from using all seven speakers if assigned to just five depending on the mode and signal combo. A newer XBOX supporting 4K and uncompressed multichannel PCM, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X needs to be connected to receiver and TV supporting at least HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

Optimally, the TV and receiver will support HDMI 2.1 and HDCP 2.3. If using a newer TV with the XBOX, connect the XBOX directly to it and use an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. Set the XBOX to output Dolby Digital 5.1 and set the TV to bitstream the signal to the receiver. The receiver can handle the DD 5.1 signal and up mix it for 7.1 output depending on the sound mode.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The 3406 is only HDMI 1.1. Unless the XBOX is an old XBOX 360, you are f#%ked. The 3406 does not support lossless multichannel audio over HDMI. It supported MLP and DSD over DENON LINK. It supports 1080p video over HDMI but newer HDCP specced devices may not work at all. The best you will get over HDMI here is lossy Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Lossless multichannel audio over HDMI was not supported until HDMI 1.3.

The “Auto” switching is the sound mode being switched. It can go from using all seven speakers if assigned to just five depending on the mode and signal combo. A newer XBOX supporting 4K and uncompressed multichannel PCM, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X needs to be connected to receiver and TV supporting at least HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

Optimally, the TV and receiver will support HDMI 2.1 and HDCP 2.3. If using a newer TV with the XBOX, connect the XBOX directly to it and use an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. Set the XBOX to output Dolby Digital 5.1 and set the TV to bitstream the signal to the receiver. The receiver can handle the DD 5.1 signal and up mix it for 7.1 output depending on the sound mode.
You are correct. Since this was a top of the line AVR in 2006 I assumed it was HDMI version 1.3. On checking the specs, you are correct, it is the earliest HDMI 1.1 version.

It is sad that the OP bought this unit, although I'm pretty certain this is a hardware problem as I outlined and not correctable with resets.

I suspect that the preouts will work, and he can test them if he has a power amp. If they work he could use external power amps. The bottom line is though, that this unit needs recycling. I fear it is good money after bad and for what?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
It would be helpful, as always, to know about every device in the system and how each of them are connected to the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis