Denon AVR 3805 and Polk Audio LSi9 ?

T

tirbine

Audiophyte
:confused: Does anyone know if my amp has enough power to push the Polk LSi9 speakers? If not is there a separate Amp that I could get to hook those up to so I can get enough power to them?

Thanks.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
My 3805 has a bit of trouble pushing my Polk RTi10 towers at higher volumes, and they're an 8 ohm nominal 89dB speaker. I think yours are 4 ohm, so I would think you may want to add a separate power amp if you plan on driving more than two speakers. I've called Denon and asked if they could recommend running the 3805 with 4 ohm speakers, and they've told me no, but nowhere does it say on their site not to run 4 ohm speakers. I think there is a precautionary statement in the manual about running 4 ohm speakers with the 3805.

Any solid Adcom, Bryston, etc... amp at ebay (slightly used) should do fine. I don't know if I'm sold yet on the pro Behringer A500 (the $179 amp that's been pushed so much). It's said to put out 160 watts into 8 ohms, but at 18lbs., I'd have to test it out first to recommend it.

Are you running more than two speakers, or is that it? How large is your room? How loud do you listen to music/movies?

T

tirbine

Audiophyte
I'm going to be running surround eventually so it sounds like the separate amp may be necessary. The room is a 20 foot vault ceiling and I like it loud. Thanks for the great information!!!!

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
As Buckeye said, you'll need a separate amp with the LSis especially if you round out your system with them which is recommended. It sounds like you have a large space (L x W x 20') so an amp rated for 200W+ @ 4 ohms (150W+ @ 8 ohms) would be good. You'll also want a robust Sub(s) to fill the room for HT. If you read through the Amp and Loudspeaker forums you should find plenty of members' prior needs and suggestions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis