Denon AVR-3300 sub pre-out 2-ch Q

A

AudioFan16

Audiophyte
Hello, not exactly a noob (been into audio for decades) however I need your expert recommendation. I have an old (vintage?) Denon AVR-3300 5-ch receiver and I am just now adding a subwoofer to even the bass response. Sorry to ask the question you've heard 100 times... is it possible to get the sub pre-out to send signal to the sub in 2-ch mode?? I have the mains set to 'large' because they have built-in subs (Polk RT3000P). I understand the sub will get LFE signal from 5.1 DD content, but what about stereo listening? Is there a solution? I don't really want to run speaker cables to the speaker-level inputs... but that would work, right?
Thanks!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
See page 21 of your manual (excerpt below) and under Bass Output, select the "Front and Subwoofer" option to get the bass output you describe.

From Page 21
NOTES:
• In the Bass Output screen, you have the flexibility to choose how bass information is distributed to your speakers if you have large front left
and right speakers and a subwoofer as part of your home theater speaker system.

• By selecting the "Front and Subwoofer" option, you will be sending the same bass frequencies to both the front left, front right, AND the
subwoofer speakers simultaneously."
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Hello, not exactly a noob (been into audio for decades) however I need your expert recommendation. I have an old (vintage?) Denon AVR-3300 5-ch receiver and I am just now adding a subwoofer to even the bass response. Sorry to ask the question you've heard 100 times... is it possible to get the sub pre-out to send signal to the sub in 2-ch mode?? I have the mains set to 'large' because they have built-in subs (Polk RT3000P). I understand the sub will get LFE signal from 5.1 DD content, but what about stereo listening? Is there a solution? I don't really want to run speaker cables to the speaker-level inputs... but that would work, right?
Thanks!
Ironically I just posed a similar question regarding my Yamaha TSR-700 and sadly it doesn’t do this. I’m a bit jealous. :)

Glad to see you got a positive answer on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

AudioFan16

Audiophyte
See page 21 of your manual (excerpt below) and under Bass Output, select the "Front and Subwoofer" option to get the bass output you describe.
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Forgot to mention that... it IS set to front AND subwoofer, but there is no output to the sub in 2-ch. I've read that there will be with DD movie content but haven't tested that yet. I should also set the fronts to 'small' to see if the sub receives a signal then, which it should. But I don't want to run them small, I want all the subs bumpin!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Forgot to mention that... it IS set to front AND subwoofer, but there is no output to the sub in 2-ch. I've read that there will be with DD movie content but haven't tested that yet. I should also set the fronts to 'small' to see if the sub receives a signal then, which it should. But I don't want to run them small, I want all the subs bumpin!
Copy, was going for the easy fix ;)

- Most Denon AVRs have separate settings for 2 channel mode.
Find that menu and see if it is also set to F&S is my next best guess.
I took a quick look and did not find reference to 2 ch settings in the manual. That is odd because my older than your 3300, AVR 988, has it and my newer X4500H does too??

FFT: Using the sub's speaker level input/outputs may not work either. The sub may very well filter out low frequencies prior to sub's speaker level output.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you guys talking about the LFE+Main setting on the Denon? It should be able to be set for 2ch use.

ps Not sure what the stereo sub thing is with one sub

pps LOL never mind, missed this being the AVR-3300, was thinking the more recent "X" one sharing the 3300 numbers.

Last edited:
A

AudioFan16

Audiophyte
I looked extensively through all the on-screen menus and didn't see any 2-channel specific settings :( The interface is so outdated! I had to buy a composite to HDMI converter just so I could use the on-screen display on our new TV... sheesh
UGH, this is frustrating. Thought it would be a simple setup. Might be time for a new receiver, but I love my old 3300!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah going thru the AVR-3300 manual I'm seeing just what EagleX did....and that sounds like it should do what you want. Does it depend on sound mode? I could see perhaps it not doing anything in direct but seems it should work in stereo mode.....

A

AudioFan16

Audiophyte
UPDATE: It IS sending signal to the sub, but I have to turn up the volume past "-40" or so for it to (guessing here) send enough voltage through the pre-out for the sub to activate. Any ideas here?
For reference the sub is a Boston Micro90pv II.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like you need to raise the sub trim levels to initiate the auto-on; try a bit higher sub level and a bit lower gain on the sub amp. Or just leave the sub "on" or other ways of turning it on (like a smart power strip or similar).

A

AudioFan16

Audiophyte
I raised the sub level on the Denon a bit and it helps. It is on and active at the volume I usually listen to now and WOW what a difference it makes equaling out the bass levels throughout the room! I am shocked how much more consistent the bass levels are throughout the listening area. I never would have thought a little 75W 10" sub could add anything to the mains and their 2X dual 8" 300W units. Thanks to Audioholics and all in this forum!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis