Denon AVR-110 $5,599 vs Denon AVR-8500H $3,999. What is the additional $1,600 difference worth?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Is it worth the difference?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Worth it in terms of what?

Actual sound quality? No.

Measurements? The X8500 has THD+N 0.0006%, SINAD 103dB.

Bragging rights? Maybe, since the 110 costs a lot more than the X8500. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only if you think the special edition is "special" enough to you I suppose. Doubt there's any resale advantage but could be. Wouldn't be something I'd be interested in (or an 8500 at retail either for that matter).

A

aceinc

Audioholic
When talking $5,600 you are getting into the range of separates. I would look at what features are most important and see whether those features could be had for the same price and better performance with separates,

If Heos and other internet bells & whistles are not important because you get all the apps on your monitor/TV but video & audio quality are most important then something like an Emotiva sound processor and associated amps may surpass the capabilities of the Flagship Denon receiver for a similar price point.

I used Emotiva as an example, there are offerings from Monoprice, Outlaw and others which may fit the bill as well. I own a budget Denon receiver in my office system and a Marantz sound processor in my main system, so I have nothing against Denon It just seems to me for the higher price I would make sure it meets your primary needs better than other solutions.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When talking $5,600 you are getting into the range of separates. I would look at what features are most important and see whether those features could be had for the same price and better performance with separates,

If Heos and other internet bells & whistles are not important because you get all the apps on your monitor/TV but video & audio quality are most important then something like an Emotiva sound processor and associated amps may surpass the capabilities of the Flagship Denon receiver for a similar price point.

I used Emotiva as an example, there are offerings from Monoprice, Outlaw and others which may fit the bill as well. I own a budget Denon receiver in my office system and a Marantz sound processor in my main system, so I have nothing against Denon It just seems to me for the higher price I would make sure it meets your primary needs better than other solutions.
Very true, and valid point indeed. Regarding AVP+Power amp vs AVR vs AVR + Power amp, it is not always clear which is a "better" solution as the needs and preference of the individuals are often not the same, but again, I agree with you that before spending so much one should consider all viable solutions carefully.

I have nothing against those brands neither, and I too, have both an D AVR and an M AVP in my systems. One fact to consider is, separate or not, some people simply prefer the one that measured well on the test bench. That is the case with the AVR/AVC-X8500H, it beats the Monoprice and Emotiva separates on the bench overall, by a clear margin in some important category such as IMD, linearity, and seems relatively bug free.

Some also like the fact that its internal power amps are decent enough for powering some of the surround channels. It is among the few, or may even be the only AVR that allows the owner to disconnect any or all or the internal power amps to the preamp outputs.

So for some people it may still be preferred, despite the fact that is not a "separate". Personally, I really don't think the AVP/AVCs are all that "separate" either. Like AVRs, they also pack tons of stuff in one box, and the ones comparable to flag ship AVRs would mostly likely include balanced I/Os that invariably increase parts count significantly, the only parts missing are the power amps that imo people make too much a issue of their supposedly bad effects on the preamp circuitry, I have yet to see any such claimed bad effects show up in measurements.

It is really amazing to see that so far no separate processor manage to measure better in THD+N, that's just one criteria but still, amazing to see even the newly tested $15,000 StormAudio failed to dethrone this Denon.
Again, I am not suggesting the test results are important, but no doubt some people are influenced by them, just like how subjective reviews by professional magazine/online reviewers, REQ features such as Dirac Live, and the perception that "separate" processors are better etc., do influence potential bias.

StormAudio ISP 16 MK2 Review (AV Processor) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1619787704596.png

Last edited:
flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
And a very important thing, for me at least, is that it just works. I tried the HTP-1 and ended up returning it. It shut down and had to be reset from factory. That alone is a PITA as it’s not easily done. Then it had digital artifacts when switching surround modes. Back it went. I was looking at those Uber expensive AVP and ended up with the X8500H. Extremely happy with it. It just works and like PENG mentioned, I can shut down the amp sections I don’t use, which in my case, is all of them except the 4 Atmos channels. If I change this AVR, is really for aesthetics so that the new one matches my amps. We shall see when this new ATI processor comes in and how it measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And a very important thing, for me at least, is that it just works. I tried the HTP-1 and ended up returning it. It shut down and had to be reset from factory. That alone is a PITA as it’s not easily done. Then it had digital artifacts when switching surround modes. Back it went. I was looking at those Uber expensive AVP and ended up with the X8500H. Extremely happy with it. It just works and like PENG mentioned, I can shut down the amp sections I don’t use, which in my case, is all of them except the 4 Atmos channels. If I change this AVR, is really for aesthetics so that the new one matches my amps. We shall see when this new ATI processor comes in and how it measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I noticed you sold your AV7005, good for you, I had to give my away. I still have the AV8801 in my one of my 2 channel system and I want to sell it and get a X3700H so that I can use the Audyssey App and preamp mode. Any idea how much I should try to sell it for? Got the original accessories, nice looking/clean original boxes, foams, manuals, CD, everything and the unit still look virtually brand new with no scratches.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I noticed you sold your AV7005, good for you, I had to give my away. I still have the AV8801 in my one of my 2 channel system and I want to sell it and get a X3700H so that I can use the Audyssey App and preamp mode. Any idea how much I should try to sell it for? Got the original accessories, nice looking/clean original boxes, foams, manuals, CD, everything and the unit still look virtually brand new with no scratches.
No clue but, I sold the AV7005 for $455 + $50 shipping. No original box (sent it in the X8500H box as that baby is staying with me), no Audyssey mike, and no manual. I was patient and started high like around $700 and then went down a bit. I listed it in Ebay, OfferUp and FB marketplace.... I'm super happy with the Denon...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No clue but, I sold the AV7005 for $455 + $50 shipping. No original box (sent it in the X8500H box as that baby is staying with me), no Audyssey mike, and no manual. I was patient and started high like around $700 and then went down a bit. I listed it in Ebay, OfferUp and FB marketplace.... I'm super happy with the Denon...
Thank you very much. I'd be happy with CAD 500, just mainly want to be able to use the App, the AV8801 is not compatible with it.:(

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Until HDMI 4.0 and 16k TVs come out and nothing is compatible any more. Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) Still happy with my 10 year old Denon and Panasonic plasma.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Looks slightly beefier, but it could be just the margins in the measurements too who knows. 148watts for 7channels continuosly - 4ohm load, 198watts for 5channels continuosly - 4ohm load. Not bad!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I only listed the difference between the two.
I just meant all the items Crutchfield listed in the comparo.....had to go pull it up at Crutchfield to see what else besides the four items shown in the screenshot were....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis