Denon AV receiver only has 1/2 above for vent....crap

J

jsm1847

Enthusiast
So I got my first receiver in my life a Denon S530BT from recommendations here on Audioholics. I squeezed it in my shorty entertainment center and realized this thing might need to breathe. Sides and rear are completely open, but I'm thinking 1/2 above might not be enough. It's not gonna work is it.....? I might just have to build shelves in my media room. I know manufacturers recommend at least 4 inches above.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So I got my first receiver in my life a Denon S530BT from recommendations here on Audioholics. I squeezed it in my shorty entertainment center and realized this thing might need to breathe. Sides and rear are completely open, but I'm thinking 1/2 above might not be enough. It's not gonna work is it.....? I might just have to build shelves in my media room. I know manufacturers recommend at least 4 inches above.

Thoughts?
Yeah I would be nervous with that little room. My processor and amp are out in the open air.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
1/2" I think would encourage too much heat build up and too narrow for a fan to fit on top....change places with the processor?

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I used to have a closed AV cabinet with my AVR in it. I rewired several computer fans to draw the hot air out and it worked like a charm. I drilled 120mm holes in the cabinet with a hole saw and then mounted the fans. However, I couldn't leave the cabinet closed with the PS3 running

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

Thoughts?
As others have already posted, leaving your AVR with no breathing room is a situation to be avoided.
You are also correct in that the manufacturers want 4 to 6 inches. They aren't kidding, the thing needs to breathe.

The AC Infinity fans or fan units are a great solution, but, you still have to have more than 1/2 inch.
In the short term, it probably won't hurt you, but in my life, short term turns to long term in a heartbeat.
I'd solve the issue so I could forget about it.

I put mine out where it can breath AND put in a nice AC Infinity fan control unit with fans. Works like a charm. Set it and forget it. Then you can you what you set out to do : enjoy the music !

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I used to have a closed AV cabinet with my AVR in it. I rewired several computer fans to draw the hot air out and it worked like a charm. I drilled 120mm holes in the cabinet with a hole saw and then mounted the fans. However, I couldn't leave the cabinet closed with the PS3 running
regarding the PS3: man do those run hot or what? I couldn't leave any cabinet closed while the PS3 was on. If your microwave oven ever goes out, just throw whatever you need to cook on top of the PS3.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious which model of PS3 you guys had? I have the later slim version and while it runs a bit warm, nothing unusual or like some avrs I've used....

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Note that just a 10% increase in a unit's average temperature can reduce its reliability by up to 50%...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Note that just a 10% increase in a unit's average temperature can reduce its reliability by up to 50%...

Just my $0.02... ;)
"75% of quotes on the internet are made up".................Abraham Lincoln

or my favorite

"60% of the time, it works every time"...........From Ron Burgundy

:):D:)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
"75% of quotes on the internet are made up".................Abraham Lincoln

or my favorite

"60% of the time, it works every time"...........From Ron Burgundy

:):D:)
Hmmm..
Key words are up to 50%.... :confused:

Just my $0.02... ;)

J

jsm1847

Enthusiast
Ok, so here is my fix....hahaha
I decided to make a built in wall shelf, then decided id like it as a secret door. This turned out pretty good. Thanks for all your help!!!!

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
1st Gen PS3...it was the best bluray player for several years :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis