Denon 4500 Running 7.2.2. Should I add a Power Amplifier

A

AndyChia

Enthusiast
You'll get more clarity with better subwoofage, imo. Everyone writes off good clean bass when they haven't heard it. I'm guilty too. It took me experiencing it to get it. Those subs you have leave some to be desired and you can do better. New amp money will get you some nice subs.

I had a pair of cheaper subs too and felt like I had plenty of bass, but it was mucking up my sound quality across the board and I didn't even know it. My experience was that my main speakers even sounded cleaner and clearer. Distorted bass is sneaky and doesn't smack you over the head like it does in higher frequencies. I didn't notice it until it was gone, and then it was like someone put glasses on my ears.

You're right, your room isn't huge and we aren't telling you to get monster subs. Just better performing, cleaner sounding ones. It was a real eye opener for me. SVS has been pushing their PB/PC2000s through their outlet to make room for the new pro series and the price is pretty nice for them right now.

I just checked out the outlet. My wife is going to kill me if this keeps up!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just checked out the outlet. My wife is going to kill me if this keeps up!!!
Hey, a pair of PB2000s puts you right at the top of your proposed budget. Did you look at the PC2000s? I came really close to getting one of those then ended up getting new speakers instead. I like the form factor and think they look cool. The smaller footprint might be a little more wife friendly and you're not giving up an ounce of performance.

A

AndyChia

Enthusiast
Hey, a pair of PB2000s puts you right at the top of your proposed budget. Did you look at the PC2000s? I came really close to getting one of those then ended up getting new speakers instead. I like the form factor and think they look cool. The smaller footprint might be a little more wife friendly and you're not giving up an ounce of performance.
Ok I've seen the PC2000 and looks really cool. So you don't think I'd lose any performance? So, I've got my wife ok with grabbing two PB2000s or PB2000s. I might be able to stretch to the PB2000/PC2000 Pro's since I'd get some $100 off for two of them. Tough choice...Still think two of the PC2000's or PC2000 Pro's would have just as good performance on a carpeted floor over concrete for movies? Sitting probably 14' to 16' from the stage?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok I've seen the PC2000 and looks really cool. So you don't think I'd lose any performance? So, I've got my wife ok with grabbing two PB2000s or PB2000s. I might be able to stretch to the PB2000/PC2000 Pro's since I'd get some $100 off for two of them. Tough choice...Still think two of the PC2000's or PC2000 Pro's would have just as good performance on a carpeted floor over concrete for movies? Sitting probably 14' to 16' from the stage?
Yup. You'll get equal performance from both form factors. I haven't done my full homework on them, but I'm pretty sure the differences between the regular and pro versions is the app/EQ. That only comes with the pros. Otherwise I think they're both equally capable. I wouldn't worry about the down firing woofer unless you're on a loose floor prone to vibration. Carpet is pretty much a non issue.

A

AndyChia

Enthusiast
Yup. You'll get equal performance from both form factors. I haven't done my full homework on them, but I'm pretty sure the differences between the regular and pro versions is the app/EQ. That only comes with the pros. Otherwise I think they're both equally capable. I wouldn't worry about the down firing woofer unless you're on a loose floor prone to vibration. Carpet is pretty much a non issue.
Plus the PC version might be easier to put in a corner if I did a diagonal set-up. So you'd take the discount on the older model ($1,398) vs the newer Pro series ($1,799)?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Plus the PC version might be easier to put in a corner if I did a diagonal set-up. So you'd take the discount on the older model ($1,398) vs the newer Pro series ($1,799)?
Oh you and your difficult questions! Ha ha! :p

To that I say, it depends my friend. You have ways to dial your subs in with the 4500 and the editor app so the DSP advantages with the pro series is still nice, but not necessary. I'd say you could save the money and still get great performance.

Now... ask me how much of my gear is "necessary" and the list would be shorter than it really is. When you're an audiophile overkill tends to be in your nature. It's really up to you if you want to spend the extra for the latest and greatest. The good news is, I think you'd be happy with both.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think academically the pro and the older 2k’s is the same. The pros have a new driver(better? Don’t know), and app control like pogre said. Personally? I’d take the discount since I have a minidsp, and Xt32 works pretty good for me.
If app control seems like a valuable feature, it might worth it for you.
As far as the carpet goes, you can put down a slab of marble, or a 16” table top from Home Depot painted black. Just for ground clearance if your worried about it. 2/3 of my subs a pc12pluses and have a base plate built in. Soundwise, the down firing driver doesn’t matter. And...iirc Ed said somewhere that the PC version, had 1hz deeper extension more than the PB due to just a tiny bit more cabinet volume.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think the older model is the better deal. I’m not sure everyone agrees with me though. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis