Denon 4311CI optical outputs

S

skiphill

Audiophyte
I recently updated my PS4 to a PS5 only to realize the PS5 has no optical output. No problem, I thought, my 4311CI has them. I use the optical output to run bluetooth audio to my headphones so I don't drive my girls crazy saying turn up the volume constantly. But it doesn't appear to work. I would have though that the audio from whatever HDMI input I had selected would go out the optical connection. I've experienced devices that suppressed some outputs when one or another was in use. I have one HDMI out to the TV and that's it. Wondering if anyone knows something about how the optical outputs work on the Denon. Or any suggestions would be welcome. I did check the manual, but found nothing helpful.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI connected devices will not have their audio signal output over the Optical Out port using REC OUT mode.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently updated my PS4 to a PS5 only to realize the PS5 has no optical output. No problem, I thought, my 4311CI has them. I use the optical output to run bluetooth audio to my headphones so I don't drive my girls crazy saying turn up the volume constantly. But it doesn't appear to work. I would have though that the audio from whatever HDMI input I had selected would go out the optical connection. I've experienced devices that suppressed some outputs when one or another was in use. I have one HDMI out to the TV and that's it. Wondering if anyone knows something about how the optical outputs work on the Denon. Or any suggestions would be welcome. I did check the manual, but found nothing helpful.
If the HDMI audio doesn't come through, you need to reassign that source input's digital audio from Optical to HDMI. You can leave unused inputs active- it won't hurt anything. That said, this AVR is 12-13 years old and that's around the time the change was made that eliminated the need for all sources to have an analog input, so I won't guarantee you'll hear the audio with your headphones. If you changed to a different input, you'll also need to set the Rec Out to reflect the change to HDMI.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What is the TV in use here? If a newer 4K model, you will benefit by connecting the PS5 directly to it. You can send audio over optical to the TV and it should send a signal out from the Optical Out in REC OUT mode.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
If you just want headphones output from your PS5, look into the Pulse 3D headset from Sony:

Otherwise, you'd be well served to replace that 13 year old AVR given that the PS5 supports 4K120 HDR (HDMI 2.1) and Dolby Atmos.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The headphones work with an analog or coax/optical input to the avr?

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
The headphones work with an analog or coax/optical input to the avr?
They're wireless direct from the PS5 via a USB transmitter, probably Bluetooth using Sony's LDAC codec. Importantly, the headset supports the Tempest 3D ambisonic engine, which effectively down-mixes 36 discrete channels and applies HRTF to overhead channels as appropriate. The PS5 can also render Tempest ambisonics into a Dolby Atmos stream for delivery over HDMI to an Atmos-capable AVR. Other approaches, particularly anything involving Bluetooth SBC or AAC codecs or optical/toslink will lose this capability and are strongly discouraged.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're wireless direct from the PS5 via a USB transmitter, probably Bluetooth using Sony's LDAC codec. Importantly, the headset supports the Tempest 3D ambisonic engine, which effectively down-mixes 36 discrete channels and applies HRTF to overhead channels as appropriate. The PS5 can also render Tempest ambisonics into a Dolby Atmos stream for delivery over HDMI to an Atmos-capable AVR. Other approaches, particularly anything involving Bluetooth SBC or AAC codecs or optical/toslink will lose this capability and are strongly discouraged.
Was more curious if his optical output works okay, with other than hdmi....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Without purchasing additional hardware, the TV would work in a pinch if a second optical cable is available for use.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis