Denon 4300 accessing Qnap music genre

P

philh

Full Audioholic
Denon sees the server, but won't list specific folders, artists, genres. If I go into folders, all songs, I see an alphabetical listing of songs, and they play. Plex recognizes genres on the same qnap as being correct.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Denon sees the server, but won't list specific folders, artists, genres. If I go into folders, all songs, I see an alphabetical listing of songs, and they play. Plex recognizes genres on the same qnap as being correct.

I have no clue on this specific case....but I will mention a general case that I encountered recently, and it may help point you in the right direction.

Some hardware may have a limit to the number of folders that it can "see". I recently discovered this when putting music on a USB thumb-drive for my car head unit to read.

The folders were all there as confirmed on my PC, but the head unit would not read them. Then, I discovered the folder limit. Once I re-organized my music into fewer folders, everything worked fine.

An easy way to check this would be to set up just a couple of folders and see if it works or not. And, of course, browse the manual to see if there are any limits of this nature. To me, this seems to be some type of memory limits on some HW.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Make sure the drive wasn't formatted as Fat64- these and other devices only use Fat32. I found this problem with a Yamaha MusicCast device and tech support explained this to me- he also said it wouldn't be changing anytime soon.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's simple. The denon is limited as to how it organizes things. Your best bet is to let Plex handle everything and use Plex's DLNA capability and play music from the Denon using DLNA. I seriously doubt Denon has put in a 10th of the effort the Plex team has when it comes to organization.

P

philh

Full Audioholic
{sigh}... then why offer the feature if it isn't fully functional?

I know rhetorical question.

In general I'm happy with the new Denon. Least satisfied with how the sound balancing came out. I found with the Pioneer it was better to just use the default setting... I may do the same here. It's an extremely unusual room and sure it would drive a purist crazy, but I've learned to live with it :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis