Denon 3910 or 5900?

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my new Denon 3806 and am considering replacing my Denon 2900 player with one that has Denonlink capability. The 3910 and the 5900 both appear to have DL3 and Firewire at this time (with a f/w and/or h/w upgrade, depending on the model), and refurbs of both models are available for similar prices online. I'm having a hard time choosing between the two-both share the same basic chipsets, the 3910 has HDMI video connnectors, but the 5900 has BNC component and a better power supply. Are there other major (or minor) differences that I should be trading here (bass management)? I will be hoooking to a Panny 900u projector and using the DVD player and a SA 8300HD cable box as the sources.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
You may want to hold off as HD-DVD players are starting to emerge...........Toshiba has one out & it, along with the HD-DVD format in general, are getting good reviews. Priced @ $500.

Something to think about since I'm pretty sure the 3910 costs much more.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I would love to have HD capability along with the other features contained in both of these decks, but I am worried about the cost of a 3910-5910 level universal player that also handles HD-DVD formats. In fact, maybe I should consider the Toshiba or its equivalent AND the 3910 or the 5910 and replace both when (and if) one of the manufacturers comes out with a new universal deck that can play everything (DVD-A, SACD, DVD-V, CD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD). Given the cost of the first wave of universal decks when they first appeared, I am guessing that my trailing edge approach will mean I won't get one for several years.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Samsung appears to have one or two universal players in the works (HD-841, HD-931). I have not been able to find a lot of info on them, but one review claims that they support DVD-V, HD-DVD, SACD and DVD-A along with the other formats (CD is the only other one I really care about). Maybe patience is the best strategy at this point....

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I spoke too soon-these two decks appear to only upconvert standard DVD to HD format, but they don't have the ability to read an HD-DVD.

L

LTQDustx

Enthusiast
I wonder about the HD DVD player's ability to play all types of recorded media (DVD+/- R/RW, double and dual layers). I do agree that it would take a while before blu ray or HD wins over the other and for the price point to come down enough on these players to deliver the same quality as these Denons do now. I'm having problems with my Denon DVD-1910 and expecting a firmware upgrade soon. if that doesn't fix the problem, I'm tempted to purchase the Denon DVD-2910 at Tweeter, they are having a really price sale..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis