H

HDLST

Audiophyte
Hello, new to the forums and have been out of the A/V world for about 7 years - lots has changed. Just hooked up a new Denon 3808CI to an almost new 61 inch Samsung DLP TV; other components are Orb Mod 2s and subwoofer, PS3 for dvd's and Sci Atlanta 8300HD cable box. All HDMI connections with good quality cables. Everything is great until I try to view an old favorite, the Apocalypse Now DVD, and while the sound is awesome, the picture is horrible - very noticeable little boxes (pixilated?) and no fiddling with the receiver or ps3 settings seems to have an impact. I also noticed that older movies that looked great on composite video did not look quite as good on the new HDMI setup (ex. - Lawrence of Arabia).

Any insights/suggestions? I read a lot of forums before buying the Denon but frankly did not understand some of the discussions - is this an upscaling problem? Is it the ps3? Do I need to get a DVD player and hook it up using component connections for all but Blu-Ray? I find all the HDMI info somewhat confusing. I am a little picky on picture quality but it's not like I bought a system in a box - this is all highly rated stuff. I feel like I must be doing something wrong but getting info this detailed is difficult to say the least.

Also had some cable stations break up or not come through at all, a problem I fixed by running an HDMI connection straight from the cable box to the TV. Is this a cable company problem - weak signal, or something else?

All comments appreciated.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It may be in your player. Can you switch between progressive scan and not? Also, you may want to try:

1) having an alternate component (not composite) connection hooked up just for these circumstances, and,
2) try a different display if available, while keeping all else the same,

Cheers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis