avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hi,

just heard that Denon is planning to launch by the tail end of this month their new model - 3806 - replacing the 3805. It does make sense somehow, as prices are dropping everywhere (Crutchfield is selling the 3805 for $ 999).

We might then expect for some upgrades, such as Firewire, DVI, HDMI...

Let's wait for some news to come...

Cheers / Avliner

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I'd wager that the MSRP will be in the neighborhood of 15-20% higher than the 3805....especially if it incorporates those functions.

Mort

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
A 15-20% increment would be quite fair tough; however I got the feeling that the new 3806 will have a direct opponent; i.e., the heavy-weight Yammie 4600, rated @ $1,900. That is a step higher than the current 2500 / 3805 ranges.

What makes me believe in the above, is the fact that the same way the 3805's are riviling the 2500's, the 3806 will be doing the same over the 4600.

If that theory is correct, Denon will have to add more power and several extras on the 3806, in order to justify a $ 1,200 jump to the $ 1,900 level.

Knowing Denon's price policy, I'd bet their MSRP will be a bit higher than the Yammie 4600 - UNLESS - they decide to change their policy and compete directly with Yamaha on an inch-by-inch basis (not usual).

If we analise the whole thing - Yammie is indeed the best bang for the buck on this price range (2500 against 3805 = cheaper, + included mike, more power, THX badge, more dsp's...).

Let's see what their strategy will be.

Cheers / Avliner.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The parent company of Denon and Marantz - D&M Holdings, adjusted the Marantz priceline on the SR8400 from an MSRP of $1299 to the newly updated SR8500 at $1599. If D&M Holdings plays the same pricing game with Denon, then I would venture to say the MSRP of the Denon 3805 at $1199 will increase to $1499 on the 3806 model. I cannot google anything on this 3806 model. Anyone else having any luck?

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
If logical prevails, the $ 1,500 on the 3806 would be fair, but that makes me wonder why Denon would live Yamaha on a sole step with the 4600 being sold @ 1,900. Four hundred bucks is a big difference tough.

Could you imagine that picture: 3806 @ 1,500 4600 @ 1,900 and 4806 @ 3,500?? Once again the logical choice will be over the Yammie (pricewise, of course). The 4806 is by far the best choice, but does it worth twice as much??

I've got the info from a friend who knows an importer in Miami.

Cheers / Avliner.

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
Denon usually increases the retail in $100 increments. This time wont be any different the 3806 will retail @ $1299
They will however add a new reciever to fill in the gap like they did last year with the 2105.
Look for the 4306

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
i am betting on avman being right. makes sense. add new customers not shut out

loyal ones.

S

Sounds Simple

Junior Audioholic
I've been told by someone who usually has the information right that Denon will have a $2500-2800 receiver (what many think the 4806 is worth). He was not sure if they were going to reduce the price of the 4806 or introduce a new receiver.

Bob

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
the 4806 will be around $3500 and the 4306 will fall below $2000

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds Simple said:
I've been told by someone who usually has the information right that Denon will have a $2500-2800 receiver (what many think the 4806 is worth). He was not sure if they were going to reduce the price of the 4806 or introduce a new receiver.

Bob
The actual msrp of the 4806 which is now on Denon's site is $3500.
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

S

Sounds Simple

Junior Audioholic
I had seen that. I think there is strong sentiment (in the absence of reviews) that the 4806 is priced too high. Of course, a few good reviews lauding some of the new features and that could change in short order.

Bob

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
avrat,
My rep was at the last Denon meeting a month or so ago and said there was no talk of any seperates comming any time soon. :(

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Denon are you Listening?

I'd like to see the following upgrades from the 3806 keeping the price as close as possible to where it's at now. The 3805 is a terrific piece of equipment for the price and I personally don't see a need at this price point for more power. My wish list:

1 HDMI switching and upconversion for all video formats to HDMI.
2 Firewire input.
3 Digital audio output to zones 2 and 3. It's annoying to have to connect analog stereo inputs for all digital devices just to hear them in the other zones.
4 The OSD works in ALL configurations and inputs/outputs, especially the volume.
5 Internal bi-amp capability like the Arcam AVR 300 or Denon 5805.
6 Assignable composite and s-video inputs, lets face it, we live in a digital world and there are too many composite and s-video inputs on the back of the 3805.
7 Just to keep you all happy another 10 watts per channel. :rolleyes:
8 Volume control that moves in one point increments not half. I personally find this completely unnecessary. Also when you push the volume control the receiver initially shows you where the volume is presently at, ala Harman Kardon.

That should be enough for now. :D

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Duffinator said:
5 Internal bi-amp capability like the Arcam AVR 300 or Denon 5805.
Could you be more detailed on the above item?

Cheers / Avliner.

M

MPK

Audiophyte
The 3806 has the bi-amping feature, at least the European version does, but that also has analog to HDMI upconversion. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis