denon 3805 equal power = ?

Junior Audioholic
hi,

Looking for a new AVR, denon 2805 or 3805. Just to ask something about the power :

i understand that, "standard" power for avr should be something like : 100W all channel driven, 8Ohm, 20Hz - 20KHz, with 0.08%THD. ok..what is the denon 2805 equal power mean : Fully Discrete, Equal Power Seven Amplifier Channels, 100 Watts Each (2805), 120W (3805)? is this Equal power = all channel driven at the same time? or just quoted for 2 channel?

Power Amplifier Specification for 3805 :
Front ............................................... 120 W + 120 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD), 160 W + 160 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Center............................................. 120 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD), 160 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Surround......................................... 120 W + 120 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD), 160 W + 160 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Surround back ................................ 120 W + 120 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD), 160 W + 160 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)

and the denon actual power for ALL channel driven is actually less than 120W?? or there is no such ALL channel driven at the same time? we don need ALL channel driven at the same time just becoz not all channel produce the same sound level? front always > rear?

some Pionner quote their power with 1KHz, and heard the different is about 20% compare to full bandwidth 20Hz- 2KHz, true?

thanks

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Equal Power means that the channels of amplification in the unit are the same and capable of producing the same amount of power output individually. e.g 120w into 8 ohms. Some older Receivers/Amps had lower spec output for their surround channels.

Edited! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The Denon 3805 is a single block amp, single transformer unit that divides its power up into 7 channels. It does not have 7 transformers or 7 separate monoblock amps. It does output 120 watts into 7 channels at .05 THD at 8 ohms. Nowhere does Denon say seven separate amplifiers. It says "equal power seven amplifier channels." If you want a true 7 block amplifier, you would need something like this:

www.sherbourn.com/products/7_2100.php

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
I love it

8118 said:
hi,

Looking for a new AVR, denon 2805 or 3805. Just to ask something about the power :

i understand that, "standard" power for avr should be something like : 100W all channel driven, 8Ohm, 20Hz - 20KHz, with 0.08%THD. ok..what is the denon 2805 equal power mean : Fully Discrete, Equal Power Seven Amplifier Channels, 100 Watts Each (2805), 120W (3805)? is this Equal power = all channel driven at the same time? or just quoted for 2 channel?

Power Amplifier Specification for 3805 :
Front ............................................... 120 W + 120 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD), 160 W + 160 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Center............................................. 120 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD), 160 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Surround......................................... 120 W + 120 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD), 160 W + 160 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Surround back ................................ 120 W + 120 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD), 160 W + 160 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)

and the denon actual power for ALL channel driven is actually less than 120W?? or there is no such ALL channel driven at the same time? we don need ALL channel driven at the same time just becoz not all channel produce the same sound level? front always > rear?

some Pionner quote their power with 1KHz, and heard the different is about 20% compare to full bandwidth 20Hz- 2KHz, true?

thanks
I own the Denon AVR 3805 and love it. Although the Denon has 7 amplifiers each capable of 120 watts it is rated to drive 120 watts continuosly with only 2 channels driven. The Denon AVR 3805 drops to 93 watts with all 7 channels driven continuously. It is not necessarily about how much power as it is about how clean. The Denon will play very loudly, very powerfully, very cleanly.

There are units that will drive all channels continuously at the rated power. Two brands that typically do this with their receivers are NAD and Rotel. If I bought purely on sound I might have gone with one of these but the Denon was still very excellent sounding and far outweighed the others in some key features.

T

teeoff1999

Enthusiast
Denon 3805-Volume control on zone 2

Just had a brand new 3805

Sorry for asking but I did read the manual and I don't get it. What is the configuration to be able to control volume on zone 2. I do have sound but unable to control it from the receiver. It stays always at the same level. I'm also able to select the source. I did try many configurations but not a succes. Mybe I mixed every thing ???

Thank's in advance from a newbie

:confused:

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I have the 3805, but havn't used zone 2 yet so this is just a guess.

On the remote device selection (up the top) you can select zone 2/3, try selecting zone 2 with the remote and then change the volume.

If you are trying to use the Surround Back channels for zone 2 you will have to assign them to zone 2 in the setup.

Hope this helps :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If power is the issue,forget Denon and Yamaha

and go with either NAD or Rotel. Better yet, for that price, I think you maybe able to able to slip into a pair of Outlaw seperates. Outlaw may not have the bells and whistles of the Denon but will sonically eat the Deon for breakfast. But like everything, its a trade off.. Bells and whistles for purity of sound.

T

teeoff1999

Enthusiast
Volume control

I do have audio on zone 2 but just unable to control it ???

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
Only The Remote

teeoff1999 said:
Just had a brand new 3805

Sorry for asking but I did read the manual and I don't get it. What is the configuration to be able to control volume on zone 2. I do have sound but unable to control it from the receiver. It stays always at the same level. I'm also able to select the source. I did try many configurations but not a succes. Mybe I mixed every thing ???

Thank's in advance from a newbie

:confused:
You can only adjust volume for Zone 2 from the remote. Just select zone 2 on the remote, select your source (i.e. CD) and use the volume controls on the remote to adjust volume. Just make sure you have selected Zone 2 on the remote. I have on more than one occassion thought I was on Zone 2 and was on the main AMP selection.

Keep in mind that only sources connected with analog interconnects will pass signals to the other zones. So, if you have a cd player connected only via digital interconnect (coax or optical) you will get no output to zone 2. Additionally I believe it will also not pass signals to the other zones from the EXT-IN connection which means DVD-Audio and SACD signals will not pass to Zone 2.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis