Denon 3805, Def Techs, and New Sub?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Hey everyone,
I recently got a dedicated sub for my hometheater and began playing with it last night. First the set-up:

Denon 3805
Def Tech BP 2002 (with 12in woofers and 125watt amp in each tower)
Def Tech CRL 2002
BPX Surrounds
Energy S12.3 subwoofer (got a good deal - over 40% off)

So I'm inquiring if anybody else has a similar set-up (at least Def Tech w/subs and a dedicated sub) and what settings they used.

Given the ability of my towers to produce bass, I'm wondering what to set the crossover (I have it currently set at 60hz in the Denon and on the sub)?

Also - should I disable the LFE on the towers?

Set the speakers to small or large - I tried listening to both settings and it didn't seem to matter?

Set the subwoofer mode in the Denon to "LFE" or "LFE+Mains?"

I tried playing with all kinds of different combinations last night and measured them with my SPL meter, but didn't notice any appreciable difference. And they didn't sound particularly different (which is why I used the SPL so much)

The sub is currently in the right front of the theater (see pictures below) I chose this location by putting the sub in my listening position and then going around with the SPL meter and picking the spot with the flattest response (fewest movements over a 40-80 hz sweep).

Any ideas whould be helpful - I have read the articles on sub set-up and placement, but am more confused about what to do with the subs in my towers and the settings in the Denon 3805.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
See how low your towers go. If they can hit 20Hz at no less then -3dB, then you can run them as large. If the do play that low, try putting the subwoofer on the other side of the theater; the back wall.

If you can, try the middle of the back wall, and experiment with other placements. This setup along with the towers running (if they're capable of 20Hz) would yeild a flatter response.

SheepStar

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
Anyone else envious of Bryce's room!
I agree with Sheep since the speakers have built in subs that the back wall would probably be best.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
The towers are rated to 18hz, but I not sure about the dbs that low

I haven't considered the back wall yet. It might be a logistical issue with the back row of seats. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Any ideas on frequency crossover?

N

ninja12

Junior Audioholic
I would say to start with the THX standard which is 80.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Determine how low your mains go first. Once you have that, then everything else will fall into place.

SheepStar

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
No, not yet - what is the best way to do that? I have Avia and DVE, but do not have Rives.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis