R

RobinC

Enthusiast
I'm considering moving from the Denon AVR-X4500H to the 3800 or even the 4800, primarily for the 4 independent sub outputs.
When comparing the 3800 and 4800 I see little difference, except for the $800 price increase. 4800 offers a 3rd room and 20W more per channel. Since I would be using an external power amp then I see no reason to use the 4800.
Is there something I'm not seeing when comparing the 2?

R

RobinC

Enthusiast
Thanks. I see nothing that is a benefit for the 4800 in their comparison. Miniscul more audio power/channel is it.
Its clear the 3800 is the choice. I even wonder why they offer the 2 products as there is so little difference.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have the AVR-X4500H, not the 4800. At the time I bought it, I was considering the lower priced 3600 for similar reasons as yours.

As I was setting it up, I learned that the 4500's remote control has preset codes allowing me to set it to work with external devices such as a TV, Blu-Ray player, CD player, etc. If I remember correctly, the 3600 could not do that. I don't know if it matters to you, but I like that feature.

Otherwise, both models were similar, other than 20 watts/channel power.

I don't know if the same applies to today's 4800 and 3800 models.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
The fundamental difference between the two units is that the X4800H is manufactured in Shirakawa, Japan whereas the X3800H is manufactured in Vietnam. The difference in cost of labor is a significant factor in the price difference. There are also some improvements in materials used (some more copper in the 4800, etc.). Whether it matters to you is purely a matter of preference. Sonically they will perform identically, especially with external amplification.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The fundamental difference between the two units is that the X4800H is manufactured in Shirakawa, Japan whereas the X3800H is manufactured in Vietnam. The difference in cost of labor is a significant factor in the price difference. There are also some improvements in materials used (some more copper in the 4800, etc.). Whether it matters to you is purely a matter of preference. Sonically they will perform identically, especially with external amplification.
Interesting that the x4800 is made in Japan, but the x4700 was made in Vietnam.

Japan: x4800, x6700, x8500, Cinema 40, AV10, AMP-10.
Vietnam: x3800, Cinema 50, AV7706.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The X4800 also supports legacy devices with two composite video inputs and one component video input for HDMI conversion and output for those who need them. Many new TVs do not have analog video inputs or breakout ports and cables anymore.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis