Denon 3600H Front channels disconnect

A

ABallagh

Audiophyte
Hi folks, just joined here after watching one of the site vids on the Denon x3600H, I also read the review and I would like to get this amp but I have a question about one of its great selling points, the front ch. disconnect. So I note this function only works if 11.1 mode is enabled. So my question is this, what are the consequences if any, of enabling 11.1 and only connecting 5 channels? I will only be connecting front pre outs, centre and rears. Ive been running an onkyo tx-nr 709 for almost 9 years and I didnt know the internal amps were been driven while im connected to the pre outs! Anyway, the onkyo is now failing and its time for an upgrade.

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
I don't think you can "enable" 11.1 if you only have 5.1 installed. You'd have to connect cables to the rest of the terminals, and I would not do that if I were you. First, electrical current will go out from those terminals, and if they touch, they will short circuit. Second, the AVR will send sound to all channels, so all that sound will get lost.

A

ABallagh

Audiophyte
I don't think you can "enable" 11.1 if you only have 5.1 installed. You'd have to connect cables to the rest of the terminals, and I would not do that if I were you. First, electrical current will go out from those terminals, and if they touch, they will short circuit. Second, the AVR will send sound to all channels, so all that sound will get lost.
Thanks for this, such a shame, as all of my content is 5.1 I was kind of hoping it would still use the standard channels and only use the others when the content was available or when a fake 11.1 mode was selected. I definitely wouldn't connect cables to the empty channels but thanks for noting. I install a little AV as part of my job but we don't get overly involved in Atmos, we've maybe done 2 Atmos systems. Looks like I will save some money and stick with onkyo then, I won't be pushing my budget even though I can get this stuff through the company I work for.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It might be worth visiting a shop that has one on display, if possible, and playing around with it s little. My understanding is that you can still tell the receiver what channels will have speakers connected or not, but activating the 11.1 option is the only way to access the mains-on-pre-out setting.
I only just learned I might be able to do this on my Marantz but haven’t had time to play with it yet. This I cannot confirm.

A

ABallagh

Audiophyte
Thanks, I guess I should get in touch with Denon before I make a decision, Im really surprised to find the internal amps are still been driven on most receivers when using pre-outs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I haven’t seen the video you referenced but I’m trying to imagine why such a feature would be a deal maker/breaker. The amps may have power to them, but since there’s no load on them, IE: speaker, it shouldn’t make any difference that I can tell. And also, if you only have 5.1, you can still use an 11ch AVR.

A

ABallagh

Audiophyte
I haven’t seen the video you referenced but I’m trying to imagine why such a feature would be a deal maker/breaker. The amps may have power to them, but since there’s no load on them, IE: speaker, it shouldn’t make any difference that I can tell. And also, if you only have 5.1, you can still use an 11ch AVR.

A

ABallagh

Audiophyte
So basically it depends on how far your pushing the amp but even if your not getting to the point of distortion entering the pre outs, which by the way I think is a bad design even if everyone does it, I just don't like the idea of wasting energy, I thought the same as you, with no load the amps aren't been driven but this is not the case.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So basically it depends on how far your pushing the amp but even if your not getting to the point of distortion entering the pre outs, which by the way I think is a bad design even if everyone does it, I just don't like the idea of wasting energy, I thought the same as you, with no load the amps aren't been driven but this is not the case.
Can't say I'm willing to watch a video to see what you're referring to, but do understand only some of the Denons have pre-out mode only with the amp assign feature (my 4520 has such "pre-amplifier" mode in amp assign at least, never tried using it and then connecting a speaker to one of the amp terminals, tho). 11.1 mode on mine would be using all the possible amp channels, if they're attached and in use (but would offer no particular advantage if you have only 5 channels connected otherwise).

A

ABallagh

Audiophyte
This is the response I received from denon, Im not sure why they say "the audio signal is always output simultaneously via the speaker terminals and the PreOuts" this is after all the total point of disconnect, maybe they are referring to the remaining outputs of the 11.1 but its not clear.... So it looks like you can set 11.1 and run 5.1 with disconnect on the front channels without loosing information, thats what I am reading.

There's no disadvantage here.
The remaining output stages are not switched off, but are notdriven.
Please note, that the audio signal is always output simultaneously via the speaker terminals and the PreOuts (not selectable via thesetupmenu).
However, we recommend using Audyssey for calibration.

Best regards

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi folks, just joined here after watching one of the site vids on the Denon x3600H, I also read the review and I would like to get this amp but I have a question about one of its great selling points, the front ch. disconnect. So I note this function only works if 11.1 mode is enabled. So my question is this, what are the consequences if any, of enabling 11.1 and only connecting 5 channels?
You are reading it correctly. There should be no issue doing what you want to do. I have responded to similar questions before, below is one example (post#9). Note that I included the procedure and attached a screenshot that was based on the X4400H, but the X3600H, X4500H should be the same or similar.

So yes you have to select 11.1, but you can go back to the speaker menu and select "NONE" for the speakers/channels you don't use and don't have speakers connected.

A

ABallagh

Audiophyte
Thanks PENG! Just what I was looking for, no more looking for a new receiver now, just have to sell some poop to pay for it! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis