Denon 3310ci upgrade opinion

N

njames0367

Audiophyte
I've owned a Denon3310ci for the last several years. I still performs great. But I'm not sure how to upgrade it, or if I even need to. I know one draw back from the age is it doesn't support the latested audio formats like Atmos.

I have the following setup

For main Zone:
L,R,C : Wharfedales Sapphire SP-89's (old as receiver but sound great)
LS, RS: cambridge audioworks satellites.
LR,RR: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-400M

For Zone 2:
Martin Logan Bookshelfs

Would the following be a good improvement option to better utilize what I have (at the expense of a a 3 channel amplifier) , or would upgraded to the current generation of Denon (or other) be a better option.

I'm looking for advice on if I would benefit from adding a 3 channel amp to support my main zone L,R,C channels - using the preouts from my Denon. And then utilizing the freed up L,R channels from my Denon for front L,R height speakers.

Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only 2 reasons I would buy a new AVR are 1) not working and 2) doesn't have the features.

Adding an amp usually doesn't improve anything.

So I would say if you want ATMOS or other features, get a new AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is lacking about the amp in the Denon for your use now? While I have extra power amps, it really only makes a difference when I'm trying to play as loud as possible, but that's tough on the ears....for regular use my avrs are fine on their own and have only installed some idle amps on my main/big system because I can....it made no quality difference particularly, just a bit of an spl advantage.

You really want to mount ceiling speakers for Atmos? I haven't convinced myself to upgrade my older avrs as am happy without messing with my ceilings nor do I need 4k for video....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis