i read conflicting things

using audyssey movie or audyssey music/flat

which one rolls off the highs?

i like treble so i dont want that to happen

mostly movie watching

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As HD said, it is "flat" that aims to be flat, "reference" is the one that rolls off. To be clear though, Audyssey called it "Audyssey reference" or "Audyssey movie" in some products because that's the one they aimed for the "correct" sound in your room. They claimed it's "correct" relative to what you would typically hear in the THX standard movie cinema. In one of the FAQ post in 2009, one of their founder, Dr. Kyriakakis gave a pretty good explanation on the target curves.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347723-MultEQ-Target-Curves

In case the link I pasted above doesn't work, please read below instead.

Contrary to popular belief, a target curve that is flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz is not always the one that will produce the correct sound. There are several reasons for this including the fact that loudspeakers are much more directional at high frequencies than they are at low frequencies. This means that the balance of direct and room sound is very different at the high and low ends of the frequency spectrum.

The Audyssey Reference target curve setting (also called Movie in some products) makes the appropriate correction at high frequencies to alleviate this problem. A slight roll-off is introduced that restores the balance between direct and reflected sound.

The Audyssey Flat setting (also called Music in some products) uses the MultEQ filters in the same way as the Audyssey curve, but it does not apply a high frequency roll-off. This setting is appropriate for very small or highly treated rooms in which the listener is seated quite close to the loudspeakers. It is also recommended for all rooms when the receiver is in THX processing mode. This allows THX re-equalization to operate exactly as it was intended.

Some manufacturers have decided to implement a Bypass L/R (or Front) setting. This uses the MultEQ filters that were calculated for the entire listening area, but it does not apply any filtering to the front left and right loudspeakers. The average measured response from the front left and right loudspeakers is used as the target curve for the remaining loudspeakers in the system. The subwoofer in this case is equalized to flat as is the case for all the settings described above. This is not a setting recommended by Audyssey.

In some products, there is a Manual EQ setting. This is a traditional parametric equalizer that does not use the MultEQ filters or the Audyssey measurement process at all.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
so basically reference will roll off highs that are screetching high? like fingers on a chalkboard type?
so i wont notice a difference between the two unless im in flat mode and there is a harsh treble? which reference will mute out?
i want the best movie experience but dont want to miss out on the good treble. im using klipsch reference premiere line.

it is a small bedroom though so maybe i should set to flat like the audyssey descriptions says.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried to find a graphic but couldn't for the movie/reference curve. Did find this description: This curve is flat to 4 kHz, has a slight roll-off from 4kHz - 10 kHz (-2dB @ 10 kHz), and another additional roll-off from 10 kHz - 20 kHz (-6dB @ 20 kHz).

Experiment for preference...even try the L/R Bypass as well.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
i read conflicting things
oh man, what a lead in to an audio topic.
I can't tell you how many times I've read conflicting things while researching something in this topic.
Just to plug the AH brethren, this is one of the best places to get those conflicting sources sorted out.
Good luck.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
so i wont notice a difference between the two unless im in flat mode and there is a harsh treble? which reference will mute out?
Nope, you misunderstood, it is not necessary about harsh treble but more about "balance" and "correct" sound from you listening position. Remember you can't polish a turd, so if the harshness you referred to is from, say distortions produced by the source and/or your equipment, reference or flat is not going to fix it for you. Please re-read what I linked, and even pasted in post#3.

it is a small bedroom though so maybe i should set to flat like the audyssey descriptions says.
Yes I would say so as bedrooms are naturally treated to certain extent, so "flat" may work well for you.

Another link for you if you are interested:

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35/related/1

The first several paragraphs came from the same source I provided in post#3, but if you scroll to the bottom of the page there are more links to info that you may be interested in reading.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Remember you can't polish a turd, so if the harshness you referred to is from, say distortions produced by the source and/or your equipment, reference or flat is not going to fix it for you.
Peng,
One of my favorite euphemisms "you can't polish a turd". That's a keeper right there.
However, we now live in the era of world wide information on every topic imaginable.
Every topic imaginable, including, the art of Turd Polishing.

I remember seeing this episode of one of my favorite shows of yesteryear, Myth Busters.
Jami and Adam took on the myth of "you can't polish a turd".
As it turns out, you can indeed polish a turd (either herbivore or carnivore) to a very high luster as measured on a luster scale.

Here's the myth busters video segment. A must for every wannabe turd polisher.
MYTH BUSTERS BUST THE MYTH YOU CAN'T POLISH A TURD

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis