Denon 2807 issues with no sound when HDMI Monitor out is plugged in

kylegobel

kylegobel

Audiophyte
Hello,

I have a pretty old Denon AVR 2807 that I got hooked up to a computer of mine that's running my media center.

I simply plug one HDMI cable from the computer to the receiver, and then another HDMI cable from the receive to the TV.

If the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV is unplugged, I hear sound from the computer, but as soon as I plug the HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver, I just get the video, but no sound. The input i'm using also switches to analog (the analog lights up, even if i switch it to auto, or PCM or w/e...as soon as I unplug the HDMI monitor out cable, it switches to digital and starts playing sound).

It's weird because this used to work.

I've ensured my Digital In assignments are correct, and the video out assignments.

If I plug the cable directly from the computer to the TV it works fine...I just did a factory reset on the receiver hoping to fix some issue but it didn't fix. Same thing happens.

I tried testing on both ports and got the same issue (HDMI input 1, and HDMI input 2)

Other devices such as my directTV box, they work just fine plugging them into either hdmi port, I get both sound and video.

This really boggles my mind as I don't understand why the receiver is switching anything when I plug a cable into the Monitor Out HDMI port.

Been messing around trying to fix this for several hours, any help on the matter would be great.

Thanks,
Kyle

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

I have a pretty old Denon AVR 2807 that I got hooked up to a computer of mine that's running my media center.

I simply plug one HDMI cable from the computer to the receiver, and then another HDMI cable from the receive to the TV.

If the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV is unplugged, I hear sound from the computer, but as soon as I plug the HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver, I just get the video, but no sound. The input i'm using also switches to analog (the analog lights up, even if i switch it to auto, or PCM or w/e...as soon as I unplug the HDMI monitor out cable, it switches to digital and starts playing sound).

It's weird because this used to work.

I've ensured my Digital In assignments are correct, and the video out assignments.

If I plug the cable directly from the computer to the TV it works fine...I just did a factory reset on the receiver hoping to fix some issue but it didn't fix. Same thing happens.

I tried testing on both ports and got the same issue (HDMI input 1, and HDMI input 2)

Other devices such as my directTV box, they work just fine plugging them into either hdmi port, I get both sound and video.

This really boggles my mind as I don't understand why the receiver is switching anything when I plug a cable into the Monitor Out HDMI port.

Been messing around trying to fix this for several hours, any help on the matter would be great.

Thanks,
Kyle
I think the HDMI port or board of your computer has failed. Specifically it is the HTCP repeater architecture.

The TV when connected to your computer only has to make one initial handshake.

When you connect your computer to the receiver it has to make repeated handshakes every 2 to 3 sec. The fact your receiver works with the other devices you list points to a bad cable between your computer and receiver or a failure of your video card. If your computer uses an integrated PCU/video chip, then the problem is on the mother board, if not the connecting cable.

kylegobel

kylegobel

Audiophyte
thanks, i'll go grab a cheapo video card tomorrow and give that a shot to see if it fixes the problem.

I know it's not the cable, cause I tried like four different ones, must be that damn card.

Side Bar...is there a difference between like the 30 dollar cards with HDMI and hdcp standard features or w/e and say...like a $100-200 card? Just pretty much running XBMC and playing movies and such, not trying to play crisis 2 on my tv or anything.

Thanks again,
Kyle

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

thanks, i'll go grab a cheapo video card tomorrow and give that a shot to see if it fixes the problem.

I know it's not the cable, cause I tried like four different ones, must be that damn card.

Side Bar...is there a difference between like the 30 dollar cards with HDMI and hdcp standard features or w/e and say...like a $100-200 card? Just pretty much running XBMC and playing movies and such, not trying to play crisis 2 on my tv or anything.

Thanks again,
Kyle
Just make sure it is HDCP certified. Most of this stuff is not. Since the codes change and are updated, you need one that will update via Internet.

I have built an HTCP, and I used an integrated cpu/video processor in an Asus HDCP certified board.

The other thing that might be a problem is if your memory has failed a little. This repeater handshake issue requires a lot of buffering to stop a disconnect. So I would say you need at least 4 Gig of memory now and to be safe 8 Gig which is what I used.

Before you spend money, you should make sure your existing equipment has the latest firmware.

Also make sure you don't have an antiviral program and or spyware slowing your system.

Tip: - Remove all your anti viral and spyware programs, and then instal microsoft security essentials. This will handle all you threats, and barely slow your computer down, as it works at a much deeper level, that other programs can not match.

Unfortunately HDMI/HDCP issues are difficult especially where computers are concerned.

kylegobel

kylegobel

Audiophyte
I have no virus protection on the PC, I actually have next to nothing on it, just XBMC and Google Chrome.

I ensured I had latest drivers for video card.

I tried out a new card today, and I'm still getting the same issue. I'm gunna pull another PC in here and try with a whole new PC and see if I can help narrow down this issue.

K

Kyuuketsuki

Enthusiast
Have you tried googling your gfx card model along the lines of "amd 7450 hdmi no sound" or the like?
I also found the hdmi for my old 4850 a bit odd to play with, it'd only output sound after plugging it in and changing the playback device to HDMI output in the speaker settings about half the time, the other half the time I'd get back an error trying to switch it saying that the device is not plugged in.

That problem disappeared when I upgraded my motherboard, which is interesting... I think it interfaces with your onboard audio to punch the audio through hdmi

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have no virus protection on the PC, I actually have next to nothing on it, just XBMC and Google Chrome.

I ensured I had latest drivers for video card.

I tried out a new card today, and I'm still getting the same issue. I'm gunna pull another PC in here and try with a whole new PC and see if I can help narrow down this issue.
If you have no protection, then your computer is likely loaded up with spyware bogging your computer down, and making it too slow to run HTPC repeater architecture.

Install MSE (its free and the absolute best protection) and scan for viruses, malaware and spyware and remove any found. Do this before anything else.

Is your new card HTPC certified. If you don't use certified units you will likely have endless trouble.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Have you tried googling your gfx card model along the lines of "amd 7450 hdmi no sound" or the like?
I also found the hdmi for my old 4850 a bit odd to play with, it'd only output sound after plugging it in and changing the playback device to HDMI output in the speaker settings about half the time, the other half the time I'd get back an error trying to switch it saying that the device is not plugged in.

That problem disappeared when I upgraded my motherboard, which is interesting... I think it interfaces with your onboard audio to punch the audio through hdmi
I'm up on this at the moment, as I just built an HTPC and did a lot of research.

A lot of older mother boards will no longer run the new codes. For HDMI AV boards that support integrated CPU/video chips, especially the Intel Ivy Bridge series are best. I used an i3/4000. My son who designs a lot of these chips and models them says that speeds are now so high that the distance on the board between CPU and video cards etc are causing too much latency.

Also to now support what he is doing, you need a minimum of 2 Gig RAM minimum, 4 is better and 8 which is what I used justified. I bet there are a lot of computers out there with less than 2 Gig RAM.

So your experience does not surprise me at all. The OP may well need a whole new computer set up to continue what he wants to do.

It is essential now to use HDCP certified devices. For information, ASUS boards that support the technology I outlined are HTCP certified.

So if the OP wants to make certain of good HDMI connectivity, I recommend an ASUS board the supports Intel Ivy Bridge integrated processors with at least 2 GIG Ram, and preferably more.

In these set ups there are no video or sound cards, it is all on the mother board with one processor. To make things really fast use an SSD for the operating systems and programs and a large disc drive for file storage.

My computer is amazingly fast and reboots in seconds. I have watched a whole concert from Berlin and watched a three hour opera on Met Player last night, and there was not one audio or video interruption.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis