Denon 2805 w/ B&W 300 series -- Good Match??

T

thephatp

Enthusiast
I'm new here, and just getting into the HT world. I've never had a home theater system before, so this will be my first. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I can't go high end.

I've done a lot of research, and for the money, I'm trying to choose between the Denon 2805 and the Onkyo SR-702. I haven't gotten to hear the 702 yet, but I heard the Denon 2805 at the Home Theater Store with B&W 300 series speakers. It sounded great to me! (It was 5.1, and I'm going 7.1)

So I ask:
- Is the 2805 a good match with the B&W 300 series?
- Does the 2805 really have enough power to push these speakers?
(I've read a lot about power and such on these forums, and now I'm curious)

- Is the 2805 enough to push B&W 600 series if I decide to go that route?
(I saw someone on this forum with this system)

- Would I need the 3805 to push the 600 series?
- How does the Onkyo 702 sound on these speakers (300 and/or 600 series)?

Any suggestions about other speakers I should look at would be greatly appreciated as well, especially that sound good on the 2805 (b/c I'm really leaning that way). Again, I'm new at all this, but I've gathered that B&W are good speakers. Trying to spend around $500-$700MAX on receiver, and probably around $1500 or so for speakers.

Thanks for the help!!!

kay

kay

Audioholic
Sonically, should be a match made in heaven ;) Many people love their Marantz + B&W or Denon + B&W systems.

B&W's typically require lots of power to push but the 300 and 600 are not too bad - I think they're made for those without multi-box separates with huge monoblocs. A 2805 or 3805 should certainly handle either. Probably if you have a really large room or like particularly loud levels, the 3805 might be a better choice with the 600's.

Definitely audition first!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis