Denon 2805 and 3805 bass problem in Pure Direct playing CDs

N

NiA

Audiophyte
Hi .

I've auditioned a few Recievers, evaluating almost solely on Stereo Sound using pre-out to my custom mono blocks.

I encountered a curious problem. The bass was missing in the very low end with both the Denon 2805 and 3805. :confused:

It was only late in my auditioning of the 3805 (tried that as an alternative to the 2805, that I thought was alone with this problem) that I realised, that changing the crossover frequency for the sub influenced the 2 CH stereo performance in Pure Direct mode. :eek:

The thing is, that

a) I don't own a subwoofer, and had disabled that at installation everywhere I could find it.

b) A subwoofer isn't even relevant in 2 CH stereo Pure Direct!

c) Any modification of soundfield, crossover etc. should be bypassed in Pure Direct.

So far I have returned the recievers, but compared to Marantz and Pioneer, they are the closest thing to a viable compromise, accepting that really good stereo performance is out of reach with a SR reciver and will have to be obtained in other ways.

Can anyone confirm, verify or recreate my observations, or prove them wrong?
Anyone got an idea to any setting that still allows for Pure Direct signals to be influenced by the crossover (and how to disable that)?

Any input greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Niels

All tests on:
Holfi Xara CD player modified with LC Audio reference clock and mains noise filter
Custom Mono blocks (plays like $10k+ amps)
Vienna Acoustics Mozart speakers
VdH speaker cable

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis