Denon 2308 and Outdoor Speakers

S

Spike8388

Audiophyte
Can anyone tell me what I did? I have a brand new Denon 2308ci receiver and had it all hooked up to dvd,cable box, 5:1 bose surround sound and a Wii and everything was working great. So I decided to add two Polk Atrium 55 outside with a volume control (MG Electronics model# MGT-0D180, 60w RMS/180w/music) I ran 12 awg wire from my receiver to the volume control and 12 awg to the speakers. When I first turned it on I had to turn my receiver way up to hear the outdoor speakers with the control all the way up. I thought it should of been pretty loud even if it's outside. So then it kicked my receiver into some type of protections mode I unpluged it tryed again after I reversed the left and right wires on the control thinking that might be it and it smoked my receiver. What am I doing wrong? why was the sound so low with the volume all the way up? do I have the wrong volume control/ any help

Thanks
Spike8388

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You need to set the output for the zone 2 to fixed. This will set the output at maximum so you can use your external volume control. The default is variable which would use the receiver to control the volume.

D

dgreenstein55

Audiophyte
Check the impedance

Make sure that Volume Control does not have an impedance that looks weird to the AVR

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
We need more info on how you hooked it up to the AVR. It should be from zone two and the AVR will need to be set up so zone 2 has control.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Yep, it sounds like you didn't do the setup for zone 2 usage and reassign the rear channel amps, see pg. 30.

S

Spike8388

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I did do the Zone 2 setup but I did do the Amp assign. Is the Amp assign necessary if I only have two speakers outside? I really don't understand the amp assign part any help?

S

Spike8388

Audiophyte
I listed the one I have. It had jumpers and my receiver is 8ohms and the speakers are 8ohms so I set it to what it said. So I don't know but it didn't like something. Am i better off taking out the volume control all together?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Page 30 of your manual describes all of the possible settings for zone 2. Your model does not seem to offer a fixed output. You could increase the power on level to a high value and then use the volume control based on that output level. This will not work as well as a fixed output but may give you a work around.

The amp assignment is so the receiver knows how you are using the surround back channels. In your case just set it to zone 2 and that is all you need to do.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
I think what you did was turn the volume way up before turning the unit on. This is not a good thing. It can, in some cases, put the unit in protection mode and in some extreme cases fry the motherboard in the unit. At least this is what has been described to me on a few different occasions. Try reseting the receiver (unplugging it for a few mins) and then turning the volume down until the unit is powered up, then turn up the volume, this should keep it from going into protection mode and if it still isn't working properly, it eliminates one possible problem. Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for all the responses. I did do the Zone 2 setup but I did do the Amp assign. Is the Amp assign necessary if I only have two speakers outside? I really don't understand the amp assign part any help?
Yes it is necessary, otherwise your speakers aren't getting any power what so ever.
Zone settings:
1 - 0dB
2 - 0dB
3 - 0dB
4 - -30dB
5 - Whatever's appropriate

Am assign - zone 2

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis