C

cjk164

Audiophyte
Well after a evening of pulling out my hair and numerous attempts to get this receiver to work I'm about to toss the thing in the river. So I've come here to grovel for help and look to see if I have missed anything. I figured I would just test out the receiver, after finally getting all the speakers connected, and see if I could get some sort of audio from it. Unfortunately the remote doesn't respond and I can't get it into setup mode - for some reason there is no setup mode on the receiver itself, just on the remote. I tried hooking up a DVD player to it too, just to try to play a CD from it, but can't get anything from that either. Not sure if there is something I need to do to set this stuff up, but I'm starting to think I've gotten way over my head, and after reading through numerous setup tips and articles I just can't seem to understand all the jargon. Perhaps this receiver is just not functioning correctly, along with the remote, and I'm driving myself nuts over nothing. Any advice and perhaps a basic walk-through regarding initial setup from someone can get me moving in the right direction. Just a few notes on the system:

Denon 2106 (refurb)
Ascend 170SE
Acoustech H-100
Couple Years Old Magnavox DVD player

- the speakers don't put out any noise/distortion at all

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver setup

A few suggestions:
Try the FM radio source and see if you can get any sound to the speakers. Make sure that two speakers are connected to the Main L/R jacks. There also might be a speaker A/B switch on the front of the unit.
Try putting fresh batteries in the remote.
If you get the remote working, try the autosetup if you have the microphone.

Good luck!

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Check your Denon manual and do a reinitialization of the microprocessor. This clears all settings on the receiver, and starts you with a clean slate. Before anything else, I would do this. Check your manual for specifics. Note, this is NOT "reset" which is different animal. Be very careful with the remote, and follow the steps exactly as outlined in the manual. Denon remotes suck, if you have the choice, use the front panel of the receiver instead of the remote unless you have an OSD setup option.

Try to be patient, the Denon user interface is poor, but you can get the hang of it eventually. Hope this helps, let us know.

Nick

C

cjk164

Audiophyte
Well there is very poor instructions with the unit and the remote won't even turn the receiver on. I'm not sure if it is in the wrong mode or if it just doesn't work. The batteries are fine. The manual doesn't state anything about a manual reset and the speakers don't put out any sound what-so-ever. The connections seem to be fine and radio tuner won't even put out any static sound. A/B switch is set to A.

J

JKL1960

Audioholic
This may sound a little crazy but I've run into this before with people and Denon receivers. Is it turned up? It displays the volume and it is in minus DB. -70 is turned all the way down. Zero is turned almost all the way up. The volume knob spins a lot for a small change. AM radio is noisier than FM so try an AM channel and check the volume.

I hope I didn't insult you but I've seen this before several times.

C

cjk164

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help but I've tried that too and still no luck. I'm starting to believe I received a defective tuner. The shitty part is I'm also starting to think I've been completely screwed. I purchased this item from ebay-er with a perfect rating who stated clearly that he is an authorized Denon dealer, but now reading through it again I'm starting to feel like a sucker. Does this sound like an authorized dealer?

" YES - WE ARE AN AUTHORIZED DENON DEALER THROUGH OUR DISTRIBUTOR IN BUFFALO, NY. YOUR WARRANTY IS VALID!!! DON'T BE FRIGHTENED BY UNSCRUPULOUS SCARE TACTICS OF OTHER SELLERS... THERE ARE PLENTY OF AUTHORIZED DENON DEALERS WHO PURCHASE DIRECT FROM DISTRIBUTORS THAT DENON DOESN'T HAVE THE TIME OR RESOURCES TO LIST ON THEIR WEBSITE. DON'T BELIEVE US? THEN WE'RE GUESSING OUR 100% POSITIVE EBAY FEEDBACK (NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP WHEN DEALING IN ELECTRONICS) WOULD MEAN SQUAT TO YOU TOO... "

I received a warranty that is just some photocopy of an actual contract from Denon but when I called the person he stated that he is an authorized dealer through http://www.stampede-us.com/ - no where does it state in the auction that he is affiliated through stampede-us.com and it just states he is part of an authroized dealer out of Buffalo, NY which can mean anything. (stampede-us.com has an office close to Buffalo, NY)

Any comments on this and perhaps how I can validate whether this contract is actually legit or do I need to start contacting paypal to reverse my payment.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
You're pissed

I would call PAYPAL & CREDIT CARD CO. and put a stop payment or hold on the transfer of funds.:)
Just FYI denon has very few authorized dealers but"DAKMART" is and maybe still use ebay?
Good luck BILL

Last edited:
C

cjk164

Audiophyte
Unhappy Camper

Payment has already gone through and the seller already has the funds. Wow am I ever sorry that I made this purchase. I read through the documentation numerous times and was sure of myself that I was dealing with something completely legitimate. Here is the link to the auction if anyone might want to give me some more insight.

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=75293156&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item=250012185976

I think I'm going to file a dispute with PayPal to have funds reimbursed. Only thing that sucks is now I have all these new speakers and a new sub that is worthless until I could get enough money together to purchase a new receiver which will probably be of lower quality since I've exhausted my funds for now. Can't wait to get a beer in my hand tonight!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Better make it

a six pack.
All kidding aside I hope paypal goes to bat for you, as well,you may also be able to contest payment if you used a credit card. Ebay can be fun if you filter through the BAD APPLES.

Regards, Bill :) That guy or link you gave should be reported to ebay!!!!

C

cjk164

Audiophyte
Unfortunately I used direct deposit. I'm really hoping I don't have to eat the $400 I just spent. Anyone have any advice regarding my situation? I never really ebay much, any advice in buyer protection would be helpeful.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Check out page 40 of the manual (adobe calls it page 43 of 72) for reinitialization of the microprocessor. I would give it a try, nothing to lose. Remember to make sure the volume is set at about -30 after the reinitialization and also that you will be starting from a blank slate with everything set to the factory defaults.

Nick

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR2106_DFU_ownersmanual.pdf

C

cjk164

Audiophyte
Definitely will be doing this when I get home. Just spoke with Denon about an hour ago and they informed me to do the same thing. Keep your fingers crossed because it's going to be a long shot. :(

C

cjk164

Audiophyte
Much More Happy Camper

Well it looks like I made a step in the right direction, we now have sound. Factory reset worked! Now to the next step of actually getting the remote to work and tweaking the speaker settings. I'm pretty sure the remote does not work (what do I know though, I didn't think the receiver worked). Before I even used the remote I was thinking that it looked horrible to use and had a pretty low quality design. Before I jump into searching for a remote though, I would really like to learn the system itself. I'm sure going through the setup process will bring up a ton more questions so I'll probably be back with more. Cheers! :D

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Note, while preforming some setup functions instead of pushing the center button you have to push <- or -> instead even though it seems like the totally wrong thing to do. It is correctly stated in the manual, except it often is one of those things that you don't think you would ever need to look at the manual for if you get my drift.

Nick

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis