Democrat Superdelegate Dilemma

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Obama and Clinton are running neck-and-neck in the race to the democratic nomination. Now there's talk about superdelegates deciding who will be the nominee. According to the rules, they're within their rights to do that, but does anyone else this is a totally undemocratic process. I for one will not complain about it as that's what the rules state, but rather I will do one of two things. I will vote republican or move to Europe. The party will lose my vote as this shows my vote means squat anyways. Thoughts?

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
800 Super Deligates may decide the fate of your party likely submarining this Obahma deliusion.......as a Republican all I can say is Hahahahahahha.....Hahahahahahahah...Haaaaaaaahahahahahahha:)

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Obama and Clinton are running neck-and-neck in the race to the democratic nomination. Now there's talk about superdelegates deciding who will be the nominee. According to the rules, they're within their rights to do that, but does anyone else this is a totally undemocratic process. I for one will not complain about it as that's what the rules state, but rather I will do one of two things. I Thoughts?
May the best democrat win....

Regards,

Jessee Jackson....the superdelegator.........

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Obama and Clinton are running neck-and-neck in the race to the democratic nomination. Now there's talk about superdelegates deciding who will be the nominee. According to the rules, they're within their rights to do that, but does anyone else this is a totally undemocratic process. I for one will not complain about it as that's what the rules state, but rather I will do one of two things. I will vote republican or move to Europe. The party will lose my vote as this shows my vote means squat anyways. Thoughts?
What is more undemocratic then losing the popular vote and still becoming the "Pez".

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
To my understanding, we aren't that democratic in the first place. Democracy is direct voting, where everyones vote counts equally. If we were really democratic, we wouldn't feel so helpless about the war. If we were really democratic, this race would probably have different candidates.

The idea of a super-delegate scares me.

I love my country, but I hate my politicians.

I had a Russian professor for a class a few semesters back. He was in russia during the fall of the Soviet Union. He told me America reminds him of Russia. Citizens who love their country, politicians who will let it fall for their own thirst of power.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
To my understanding, we aren't that democratic in the first place. Democracy is direct voting, where everyones vote counts equally. If we were really democratic, we wouldn't feel so helpless about the war. If we were really democratic, this race would probably have different candidates.

The idea of a super-delegate scares me.

I love my country, but I hate my politicians.

I had a Russian professor for a class a few semesters back. He was in russia during the fall of the Soviet Union. He told me America reminds him of Russia. Citizens who love their country, politicians who will let it fall for their own thirst of power.
There is indeed a storm brewing...

I don't know if this country will ever find its sense of unity again - hell we can't even (for the most part) have a political discussion amongst ourselves without it dissolving into tirades and attacks - I think everyone feels strongly about their own viewpoints of the democratic process, yet for unity's sake - the process seems to fail us all equally - the one true thing every person can shake hands on... then bend over and kiss our own a##es goodbye when the crap hits the proverbial fan.

Speaking of Russia - there is a second cold war in the works and nobody seems to be talking about it in Washington. I fear the Democrats gaining control of the White House because we face some seriously tough times ahead on a global scale, if not Russian, then Iran, and so on.

Looks like it's a mathematical certainty that McCain will take the Republican nomination, and it's still a toss up between the two Democratic candidates, Hillary and Obama. Obama is an empty suit campaigning on a platform of "Change"..... to what?? There is no substance to either one of them - but lo and behold it's going to come down to this super-delegate phenomenon.

(Shakes his head, sighs, turns off the computer and exits stage left....)

EDIT: To the OP - I'll meet you in Italy when this is done - then we'll have no further need to debate American politics! :D My wife and I have already packed our things.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey paisan, hold a table for me, I'll be right behind you.:D

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I think the bigger problem for the democrats is that a portion (not a majority but a decent chunk) of either Obama's or Clinton's supporters truly do not like the other candidate. There are so many "Anybody But..." voters out there on the democratic side that feel more strongly against Hillary or Barack than they do against the republicans (particularly McCain) that I feel it's highly plausible for McCain to get elected if we end up with a real nomination fight. The dems don't realize how much damage they're actually doing to their own party. As an independent who has voted both dem and rep in my lifetime, I honestly don't want to support either of the dem candidates based on how they've conducted themselves during this campaign so far. For all of her "experience" Hillary has acted like an immature baby, and for all of his talk of being a uniter Obama has done more too divide than unite. I've followed and heavily studied politics all my life and I understand campaigns are rarely played fairly, but I've never seen two candidates in a primary season go after each other like this.

At this point I think a McCain presidency with a democratic House and Senate might actually be better for this country than either Clinton or Obama.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
EDIT: To the OP - I'll meet you in Italy when this is done - then we'll have no further need to debate American politics! :D My wife and I have already packed our things.
My EU passport is ready!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
For all of her "experience" Hillary has acted like an immature baby, and for all of his talk of being a uniter Obama has done more too divide than unite.
Abe and Rnatalli, if I may, a quick thread highjack.
You reminded me of an email I received. It draws a parallel to Hillary's "experience" that you've mentioned.

In a news conference Deanna Favre announced she will be the starting QB for the Packers next season. Deanna asserts that she is qualified to be starting QB because she has spent the past 16 years married to Brett while he played QB for the Packers.
During this period of time she became familiar with the definition of a corner blitz, and is now completely comfortable with other terminology of the Packers offense. A survey of Packers fans shows that 50% of those polled supported the move.

Well, Hillary Clinton makes the same claims as to why she is qualified to be President and 50% of democrats polled agreed. She has never run a City, County, or State. When told that Hillary Clinton has experience because she has 8 years in the white house, Mr. Morris stated "So has the pastry chef."

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I'm not leaving our country. No way, I still pledge to the flag, even if I don't agree with our politicians.

I'm voting Ron Paul. I know he isn't going to win, but I'm going to vote for him anyways because I think that is who will do the best job. People say that you should vote for someone who has a chance to win, but I think that mentality is part of what got us in trouble. If you don't like Obama, Clinton or McCain... vote for someone you do like, regardless of how small they are.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
People say that you should vote for someone who has a chance to win, but I think that mentality is part of what got us in trouble.
I definitely agree with that. I've typically voted for the most "electable" candidate. Not this time...

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
If Obama wins will the Presidential Limo feature spinning rims, curb feelers, a TV antenna on the trunk, and have hydralic shocks to lower the Limo when he arrives at events?

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
This is the first year I have heard these super-delegates discussed. Is this new or just something that always existed but did not matter because one candidate gathered momentum and had the nomination sewn up by March?

Does Mccain really have a chance? People get tired of the ruling party after eight years but looking at the approval ratings perhaps the majority are dissatisfied with both parties equally.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
This is the first year I have heard these super-delegates discussed. Is this new or just something that always existed but did not matter because one candidate gathered momentum and had the nomination sewn up by March?
In '04 Dean gained a bunch of superdelegate support, even though he didn't get the democratic nomination. In '84 where superdelegates determined the democratic nomination, but of course Reagan won.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

They were created in 84 to prevent the extreme left wing of the party (the CNN quote I saw earlier mentioned the Greens and the Communists) from selecting a nominee that was out of touch with the "mainstream". It pretty much speaks to the dems complete insecurity with themselves and distrust of their own party to pick a viable candidate. It's made even less sense as both parties have pretty much shifted to the center and melded together to create one big blob of a centrist party with extreme fringes.

I don't think we will be seeing superdelegates again in 2012.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic

Does Mccain really have a chance? People get tired of the ruling party after eight years but looking at the approval ratings perhaps the majority are dissatisfied with both parties equally.
I think Mccain has a very good chance being that he is going to be positioned against a Polarizing women who is hated by about half of the population or a Junior Senator who has no experience and only offers good speeches but no real policy except for a half Trillion dollar health fiasco that has no chance in passing, and oh yeah he is black...........everyone wants to think color doesnt matter but I am sorry to say it will in this election. The trouble with both Democratic canidates is the simply run on a "Bush Bad" platform and have almost nothing to show for exactly what they will do, jobs that are gone will not be back, free trade will remain and the war cant be packed up and brought home no matter how many times they promise that it will. You will however notice your checks are going to be much smaller as they increase taxes while unemployment increases and spending will remain the same or increase as the Government grows with more wasteful fluff. Democrates are great at wanting or promising to do good things but the seldom deliver, but to the Dem's the simple dream of doing good is all they need to sleep at night........as long as things remain bad they find power in that, claiming to lift the population with one hand while holding them down with the other has served them well for many years.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Is that where they change governments as much as their underwear? :D
Who says they change their underwear? :D (C'mon, that was just too easy!)

Seriously though, I don't think there's a less politically stable place (or a more politically corrupt place) in most of Europe right now than Italy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis