Delay setting for a sub

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
Hello- I currently own an AXIOM EP500 sub. I am getting mixed results w/various delay settings in the HK Receiver. My actual distance is 9 feet; however, I get better bass with the sub delayed at 12-19 feet. The problem there is that the 12-19 varies greatly based on whether it is cd muisic or 5.1 DVD's. Is this normal? Also, I have ordered a Velodyne SMS-1. Will this help rectify this?

Thanks!!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What you need to do is calibrate the sub for phase allignment. The goal is to get the sub (and all other speakers) phase matched to the mains. To do this you will need a calibration disc like DVE or Avia.

Temporarily you can do it by ear. Play some bass heavy music or DVD. Now play with the delay settings on the receiver or sub. (NOTE: if you use the delay setting on the receiver set the sub to zero and vice versa) When you cant tell that the sub is playing bass, it seems to be coming from the mains only, is when you have phase allignment. It might help to run the sub a few dB higher than normal, and after you are satisfied with the settings, pull it down again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With that distance setting, your sub is most likely out of phase. Always use the CORRECT (or nearest round up) distance when calibrating. SMS should correct this, but I don't remember if it did phase or not?

dp_pb

Enthusiast
phase, when it comes to subs especially is a bit misleading. The timing of the sub could well be very poor even if it the receiver settings are correct. I am not familiar with the sub you have but it sounds like its a bit floppy and late if it sounds ok with some material and not ok with other stuff.

upgrading the sub will likely improve the situation. as far as the receiver settings go, set them up correctly and it is th emost likely way of getting it to sound right. but remember that some adjustment may improve things - just listen and listen again until you like what you have.

cheers,
dp

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
darthkringle said:
Hello- I currently own an AXIOM EP500 sub. I am getting mixed results w/various delay settings in the HK Receiver. My actual distance is 9 feet; however, I get better bass with the sub delayed at 12-19 feet.
Thanks!!
By setting the distance correctly & setting phase to zero, the receiver will put the subwoofer in phase to your primary seating location, and the measured distance may not be the correct setting. Phase is a tricky beast because varying frequencies will be in-phase at different points, and various reflections and other variables will also come into play.

If your subwoofer is ported, often times that will distort the distance calculated by your receiver between your primary seating position and the subwoofer. For you, the correct distance setting may in fact be 12-19feet, in spite of a conflicting measured distance of 9ft.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis