DefTech BP9040 upgrade

M

Mark Daniel

Audiophyte
I currently run BP9040/A90, CS9080 & SR9040. I can get a good deal, ~$2200/pair, on BP9080X or Mythos ST-L. Should I pull the trigger on one or save my money?

Alternately, anyone have an upgrade suggestion that would run around the same, $2200?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I think there are better speakers than DefTech. That's me.
Is there something that makes you unhappy with the Sound Quality?
What's your usage... Music to HT?
Do you have a subwoofer? And what does the rest of your system? 5.?.2?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I currently run BP9040/A90, CS9080 & SR9040. I can get a good deal, ~$2200/pair, on BP9080X or Mythos ST-L. Should I pull the trigger on one or save my money?

Alternately, anyone have an upgrade suggestion that would run around the same, $2200?
Revel F36’s

Ascend Sierra Towers

PSA 210T

Monitor Audio Silver

KLH Kendall’s

Emotiva T2’s

Chane A5.4’s

I would expect almost all of these to outperform any DefTechs, especially with a properly integrated SEPARATE subwoofer, not those powered woofers that they claim are “subwoofers”. They are also in order from most expensive to least expensive with the Chanes possibly also having a sale.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Revel F36’s

Ascend Sierra Towers

PSA 210T

Monitor Audio Silver

KLH Kendall’s

Emotiva T2’s

Chane A5.4’s

I would expect almost all of these to outperform any DefTechs, especially with a properly integrated SEPARATE subwoofer, not those powered woofers that they claim are “subwoofers”. They are also in order from most expensive to least expensive with the Chanes possibly also having a sale.
I wouldn't be so sure any of those are such an upgrade over the Deftechs, to be honest. One difference is that the Deftech speakers are going to have a greater ratio of late reflections to direct sound. That sound may appeal to some people.

M

Mark Daniel

Audiophyte
Personally, I think there are better speakers than DefTech. That's me.
Is there something that makes you unhappy with the Sound Quality?
What's your usage... Music to HT?
Do you have a subwoofer? And what does the rest of your system? 5.?.2?
I originally chose the DT’s for my HT for reasons of space, integrated Atmos and integrated “sub”. We live in a renovated farmhouse built in 1900. Anyone who knows old homes also knows that tasks that are simple in modern homes, are sometimes impossible in a 120 year old home. Running a subwoofer cable around the room (not enough room on the front viewing wall for a sub to coexist with the towers and av furniture) was simply not an option and after auditioning witless subwoofers from SVS and others, recognized that this technology has a ways to go. The DT’s provided good enough bass for movies (which is all this setup is used for, I have a completely different setup for music in another room). Even if I could pull a sub cable to the back or side of the room (under carpet no good, all reclaimed hardwood), my wife would veto the aesthetic of it. She barely tolerated my music space.

There is nothing specific that I am unhappy about with the DTs. I felt the CS9040 was lacking for what I expected from a center, so auditioned a Goldenear XL and CS9080. I still have both, but have been using the 9080 for a few months now. Other than that, I have been fairly happy. I am a tinkerer. I like good deals. I am just like most of you. I happened across the deals I posted, BP9080 or Mythos ST-L for ~ $2200.

$2200 is not a crushing amount of money or anything, again, I just like to find good deals and take advantage of them while they exist. So, my message maybe should have said - “All things being equal, would you take advantage of a 50% off deal on either of those speakers coming from my current fronts, BP9040?”

For the inquisitive, my music setup is as follows:

Roon Nucleus
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
Rega P3 w/ Hana SL mc cartridge
Rogue Audio Ares phono preamp
Yamaha CD-N301
Schiit Freya Preamp
Schiit Vidar x 2 in monoblock mode
APC H15 Power Conditioner
PS Audio Power Port x 3
PS Audio Noise Harvester x 3
Focal Aria 926
HSU VTF15
SVS PC-4000

As a side note, I have the matched center and bookshelves for the Focal Aria’s stored in a closet. I love the Focals for music, but I am just not sure about HT. Plus that brings me back to a sub cable and Atmos speakers.

Nothing is ever easy, thanks for your input.

Mark

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't be so sure any of those are such an upgrade over the Deftechs, to be honest. One difference is that the Deftech speakers are going to have a greater ratio of late reflections to direct sound. That sound may appeal to some people.
Sorry I’m a bit biased against DefTech, apologies for not noting that. My experience with DefTech has never been good. Multiple different demos at different stores have never impressed me, or struck me as a good speaker. Less so than B&W, and I hate B&W.

M

Mark Daniel

Audiophyte
Sorry I’m a bit biased against DefTech, apologies for not noting that. My experience with DefTech has never been good. Multiple different demos at different stores have never impressed me, or struck me as a good speaker. Less so than B&W, and I hate B&W.
I am curious, aside from any non-performance bias, what drives your “hatred” of DefTech? What sound characteristic or lack thereof is the deal breaker for you? Again, I am just curious and like to learn about both sides of the equation.

Mark

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I am curious, aside from any non-performance bias, what drives your “hatred” of DefTech? What sound characteristic or lack thereof is the deal breaker for you? Again, I am just curious and like to learn about both sides of the equation.

Mark
No problem Mark, happy to explain.

Big part, price. Quite expensive. Performance? Not worth the price. Low value.

Value = Performance for your dollar

Take Ascend’s $300 CBM170’s. These are great speakers. They punch well above their MSRP. I have the slightly more expensive CMT340’s at $500. Same thing, they punch well above their MSRP. I go to a Best Buy and try out these $3000 B&W towers that I find anemic, obscuring, and bordering bright. Absolutely hate them. I go back home and listen to my $500 speakers and continue to be blown away. A $500 speaker (bookshelf speaker mind you) performing better than a $3000 pair of towers. High value? I think so.

So let’s bring it back to the DefTechs. I listen to them. I find them slightly bright, muddy, and have overall poor presentation with the bi-pole design fuddling with the imaging while attempting to create a “bigger” soundstage. These are all cons that not only my $500 speakers do not have but in fact are missing the $800+ worth of improvement (depends on the model). I will say that the powered woofers do add a bit of “coolness” let’s call it, to the design. They reach much lower than conventional towers (although not as low as they spec them like they seem to do with all their other measurements...) but I would still much prefer a SEPARATE, properly integrated subwoofer.

Also I dislike the way they look :) Thought I might mention that because as most people eventually find out, looks are usually pretty high on people’s list of priorities when it comes to speaker selection.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Mark Daniel
Good morning! Given the situation you stated, Sure, why not upgrade to their flagship model in the 9080s. Im not supremely familiar with the Mythos line, supposed to be their higher line, but I'm guessing the ones available to you wouldn't be the highest in that line. Definitely audition them side by side if possible and see if the Mythos is better for your needs.
That said, even the 9080s have there shortcomings, including bass response. The third party test I saw shows the -10db rolloff at the bottom just above 20Hz. I would suggest looking for a way to integrate a small sub somehow that could improve your overall experience with the LF output. The speedwoofer is only a 10" model, has been getting some acclaim, and might be disguisable under a table near your LP. I get the WAF issue, and the difficulty getting it online, but have heard good things about some of the wireless transmitters out there. Just an idea for a more significant improvement. :)
Regardless, If you put 9080s upfront, roll your other ones around for better surround with the Atmos modules, all in all, should be fine. Especially in a HT only system.
Given some of the other limitations you mentioned, you'll have more headache replacing everything you have up front, cos you'd want the center to match new towers and getting a sub would become a necessity... so for ~2gs, your upgrade might only be lateral: with the 9080s you are stepping up with in the ecosystem you already employ.

Glad you have a music rig to enjoy. ;)

...Now about that subwoofer... :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis