Definitive Technology Official Thread

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer
new product - way cool

Hello DT fans,
One of the coolest things we've ever done is now up on our site - Sound Cylinder. If you own a Bluetooth enabled device such as a tablet, laptop or smart phone, you're probably going to want one of these :)
Sound Cylinder | Definitive Technology®
Best, Joe

P

Pohennessy

Audiophyte
Hi Joe, I am lucky to own a pair of BP-7001sc towers and have them amped by a Earthqauke Cinenova Grand 3 @ 300 watts each. I believe the BP-7001sc can handle 600 watts each, any thoughts on an amp upgrade for them?

Thank you. Pohennessy

Main:
BP-7001sc x2
CLR3000 x1
In-ceiling rears x2
Supercube Referance sub
HTS3500 Powercenter
Anthem AVM 20 Pre
Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3: Front
B&K EX4420: Rear
Oppo BDP-103
Samsung Plasma PN63C8000

Downstairs:
SM-350 x2
Bose double cube x1 soon to be replaced with?
Powered 8" sub
Yamaha receiver
Samsung blu ray

Garage, aka mancave:
Cerwin Vega RE-38 x2
Hafler DH-200 amp
Lexicon Pre
Vintage technics direct drive turntable
Pandora through iPhone
2006 Golden Tee Complete

P

Pohennessy

Audiophyte
I was considering the Emotiva XPR-2 @ 600 watts @ 8 ohms x 2.
Any input on this amp would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I doubt that you are gonna notice an improvement on moving to the emotiva. Unless the current amp is being overworked. And I doubt that b/c the DTs aren't that difficult to drive.

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer
new amp?

I was considering the Emotiva XPR-2 @ 600 watts @ 8 ohms x 2.
Any input on this amp would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you
Hello Pohennessy, I haven't used the Emotiva myself, so I can't comment on whether it will be an upgrade from what you are using now. I can tell you that I have seen a lot of positive comments on Emotiva's amps, but whether it will be an upgrade for you or not I am not sure. Lately we have been using Pass Labs amps at the CE and CEDIA shows, and I have been very happy with their performance. I hope this helps - best regards, Joe

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
needing Amp for Def tech

Hi all, I'm new to Audiohollics and this is my first comment and or post on this forum. So excuse me if my questions have been addressed, or this is not the right place to post or asked already. Ok here we go I'm running a Onkyo Tx-NR3008 / 140wpc driving my def tech's that by the way I love so much, I'm looking for a Amp? My fronts are Def Tech 8060ST, front wide BP7002's, Center, Mythos Three and my surrounds are ProMonitor 800, only 1 surround back channel. I have a large famiy room 20x24 with a 36ft. high celling. I feel that I'm not getting the most out of 8060st. when lisnting to 2ch music, have to turn the avr up to -18dbs to make them talk. They sound good but I don't believe I'm really getting that punch they can really deliver. I also have a Polk PSW 10 sub that I want to use instead of using BP7006 Lfe as subs, what are your views about that setup? I was looking at the Emotiva XPA 3, or the Outlaw monoblock 2200 and also looked at the crown amp XLS 1000. I'm running my bp7006 Lfe channel sub out 2 /and a Klipsch Synergy 12"/ sub out 1 from the Avr current setup. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

My System in whole
Oppo 103 BD player
PS3
Directv HR21/200
Onkyo TX-NR 3008
Whole home network 4TB ethnet
LG Px950 60" Plasma
Def Tech-8060ST / Ft
Det Tech-BP7006 /Fw
Def Tech-Mythos 3 /Ctr
Def Tech-Promonitor 800 Surrounds
Klipsch 12" Sw
Monster HPD-2400 Power Conditioner

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi all, I'm new to Audiohollics and this is my first comment and or post on this forum. So excuse me if my questions have been addressed, or this is not the right place to post or asked already. Ok here we go I'm running a Onkyo Tx-NR3008 / 140wpc driving my def tech's that by the way I love so much, I'm looking for a Amp? My fronts are Def Tech 8060ST, front wide BP7002's, Center, Mythos Three and my surrounds are ProMonitor 800, only 1 surround back channel. I have a large famiy room 20x24 with a 36ft. high celling. I feel that I'm not getting the most out of 8060st. when lisnting to 2ch music, have to turn the avr up to -18dbs to make them talk. They sound good but I don't believe I'm really getting that punch they can really deliver. I also have a Polk PSW 10 sub that I want to use instead of using BP7006 Lfe as subs, what are your views about that setup? I was looking at the Emotiva XPA 3, or the Outlaw monoblock 2200 and also looked at the crown amp XLS 1000. I'm running my bp7006 Lfe channel sub out 2 /and a Klipsch Synergy 12"/ sub out 1 from the Avr current setup. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

My System in whole
Oppo 103 BD player
PS3
Directv HR21/200
Onkyo TX-NR 3008
Whole home network 4TB ethnet
LG Px950 60" Plasma
Def Tech-8060ST / Ft
Det Tech-BP7006 /Fw
Def Tech-Mythos 3 /Ctr
Def Tech-Promonitor 800 Surrounds
Klipsch 12" Sw
Monster HPD-2400 Power Conditioner
If it is really that chest-pounding, at-the-movies feel that you are looking for, then ditch the current sub and get a big-boy sub (or a pair :D)from SVS, Rythmik, PSA, Outlaw or HSU.

The DTs are nice, and for most 2 channel music they should have plenty of bass. If you are into HipHop or Electronic music, they may not have enough bass to suit your room and listening habits. But there is no way these are going to compete with the clean, undistorted SPL of dedicated subs from one of the mentioned companies.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
If it is really that chest-pounding, at-the-movies feel that you are looking for, then ditch the current sub and get a big-boy sub (or a pair :D)from SVS, Rythmik, PSA, Outlaw or HSU.

The DTs are nice, and for most 2 channel music they should have plenty of bass. If you are into HipHop or Electronic music, they may not have enough bass to suit your room and listening habits. But there is no way these are going to compete with the clean, undistorted SPL of dedicated subs from one of the mentioned companies.
Ok need a better sub I've never heard of Rythmik but i'll look them up! Thanks!! What about more power? I do not believe the Onkyo puts out more than a 140 watts, only 2 ch if that. What amps do you recommend between the three manufactures I listed.

itschris

itschris

I first heard a set of DT's about 20 years ago in the old days when there were still high end stereo shops around. I think they were the original BP3000 towers. I remember the guys explaining how the driver sets created an enhance sound stage and what not. He demo-d "You and your friend" by Dire Straights. I still remember that today. When the steel guitar kicks in you could just feel the pluck of the steel strings.

Fast forward to a few years ago... I got my setup and still find them just as exciting as I did way back when. I hunted down that disc and bought it right after ordering my speakers and it was a fairly magical moment when I got it all setup and played that song 20 years later.

Whenever the wife goes shopping... the system goes on and TACO DANCE PARTY ensues... named such because one time my neighbor came over and I had the system too loud and I couldn't hear the door so he came in to find me jamming out to old school 80's dance music stuffing my face with tacos... luckily I wasn't dancing... but nevertheless... TACO DANCE PARTY was born. So about a week ago, TACO DANCE PARTY was in full swing. I was listening to I Mother Earth's "Not Quite Sonic" waaay too loud, but was having too much fun enjoying the awesome percussion expertly relayed by the Def Techs. Unfortunately the bass vibrated our large original 8 foot tall painting over the fireplace off it's mount and it came crashing down on the mantle, knocking down 3 of the 4 Waterford candle holders which crashed on the granite below, followed by the painting impaling itself on the fire-poker. I was intially overcome with fear as I totalled up the cost of the wreckage, anticipating the sh*t storm I would have to deal with when Nancy got home... then suddenly a smile came across my face, my foot started tapping, my head started bobbing, my arms started air-drumming and all I could think about was DAMN!!!! THESE SPEAKERS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!

D

DarkTactics

Audiophyte
I love my Def Tech's. I've been scouring the web for good deals, and craigslist for years now after I got my hands on a pair of BP7002's.

I now have:

BP7002's (L/R in HT)
CLR2500 (center in HT)
BP8040st (center in other system, and LFE)
SM65's (L/R for other system)

I've had a few supercubes (but ended up going with SVS's subs)

I love the bipolar design, and believe I will always have a pair of Def Tech's at my house.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Chris- I feel like we got left hanging...what happened with the wife? How did everything end up?

itschris

itschris

Chris- I feel like we got left hanging...what happened with the wife? How did everything end up?
Ha! Funny. Well... she came home saw the torn section of the painting, the cracked crystal and a piece of the granite all neatly displayed on the table in a total mea culpa move on my part. She gave me that bitter beer faced look and said you play that stereo way too loud and walked off. I was completely dumbfounded! That's it? I started to turn away thinking... "hey, my wife is pretty cool." But just then I noticed a small copper-colored bag which appeared to look very much like the ones used by our jewelry store. As I followed her into the room i innocently inquired...

Me: "what you got there."
Nancy: "...oh this? I... i... i... just... well... I stopped my Arnold's Jewelry and... and.. well... "
Me: "C'mon what did you buy?"
Nancy: "You ruined my painting and my favorite candle holders! I needed something to make me feel better! WE'RE EVEN!!!!!!"

I ignored the obvious... that 1) her spending several hundred dollars was in no way connected to TACO DANCE PARTY. 2) It wasn't her painting. I actually bought that while we were broken up before we got married and 3) I bought her those candle holders and they're not her favorite because she told me once that they're nice but not really her style.

Point of the lesson... A woman, like a four year old, will literally assume you're stupid and will say anything to justify a shopping spree no matter how egrigious the lie.
Most important lesson... quit while you're ahead.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
So, does Def Tech make speakers that would work for professional music production?
If so, what are they?
Does Def Tech make any powered monitors?

I am looking for studio monitors, and I might be able to get a good deal on deftech. This is why I ask.

B

branchman5000

Enthusiast
I need some DefTech help. I just purchased a new home and I will be putting in an in wall system using the UIW RLS for the mains. I am debating between the RLS II and III. What is the real difference and is it worth paying the extra money?

Also, any good recommendations for sound processor/amp or receiver?

Thank you gentlemen. Greatly appreciated :)

A

Amateur Jerry

Audiophyte
Hello friends, I'm in. I recently bought a pair of SM-45s. I use them with a small amp for my digital piano. What a difference.

123flatpanel

Audiophyte
Hello Definitive Users:

(This was also posted on that other websites forum)

I’m racking my brain on whether to buy the Definitive Pro-Cinema 800 or the 1000. Size and price are not much of a concern. So, I’m thinking that the tie breaker may come down to which is the better match-up with my Receiver. Since “the numbers” are all Greek to me I was hoping someone could make a recommendation.

The Situation is:
- Denon 890 AVR – 105 W per channel; channels rated @ .05THD/.08THD; THX Ultra2 Certified; Processor Depth and Type – 21367 x 1 32bit floating point.

- Environment – Tiled floor, 23’ x 10.5’; L&R and Surr. speakers will be in corners of walls 8’ high. Center will be on top of TV.

- Music & Movie Listening Preferences- Clarity over loudness. I understand explosions and action scenes are suppose to be loud but I don’t like super loudness. Movie theaters are usually too loud for my preference. Clarity and ability to understand dialog is more important than loudness. Music turned up but not playing for the neighbors.

(As if I weren't confused enough then the Best Buy dude suggest I get the B&W speakers instead)

Any suggestions on which Pro Cinema I should get?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Hello Definitive Users:

I understand explosions and action scenes are suppose to be loud but I don’t like super loudness. Movie theaters are usually too loud for my preference.

Any suggestions on which Pro Cinema I should get?
Blasphemy!!!!

I know nothing about either of these products, so I am without question completely useless to you.

DJ

123flatpanel

Audiophyte
Hi:

I'm trying to decide on the SM55 or the Pro Mon 1000 for front speakers. I'd like to mount which ever I decide on the front wall up in the corners on left & right. The problem with the SM55 is that they don't have mounting threads on the back for wall mounting since they are designed for shelves only. Has anyone seen or used the Sanus speaker wall mounts; specifically the Sanus WMS2? They are sold at Best Buy and are rated for up to 15lb speakers. They have a tray/bracket that extends, allowing speakers with various depths to be placed on them. The speakers can then be tilted to the angle you like.

WMS2 | Speaker Mount | SANUS#

Any one see a problem if I were to mount SM55s on these wall speaker mounts?

Thanks

123flatpanel

Audiophyte
I'm doing it, finally. Next week I'm getting the following (already have the Procenter 1000):

- 2 ProMon 1000 for front L&R
- 1 Pro Sub 1000
- 2 ProMon 800 for rear surrounds

Now, I can get the 1000s for the rears if I wanted to but....why should I? Here's my thinking - since the rears play such little sound compared to the center and fronts, why not go with the smaller and less expensive speaker (800s vs 1000s). No one is going to notice the difference with the rears anyway. The 1000s for the rears is a waste of space and money.

Where am I wrong?

Thanks!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis